Axe-Fx III Firmware 25.00 Public Beta (Cygnus X-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using Yek's guide I did a soft reset in the amp block. I did not adjust anything after the 25b update and tried to play it the exact same ("but why didnt you DI and reamp" because I dont yet, ok?!)

I also learned that I wasnt logged into my BD account when uploading the last few times lol

So first clips are 24 2nd pass is 25 beta both times correct

So first clips are 24 2nd pass is 25 beta both times correct
Yeah 24/25 then 24/25, I would have forgotten to mention it. I originally set it as 24 clean/dirty then realized that's probably not as helpful. I can make that version and upload it as well if enough people want it?

Excellent post and advice, Buddy...!
Me? I'm not a tweaker, but I do have heaps of presets created by others, including a whole lot of yours. And from Burgs.
So for me, as just a player not a tweaker, the risk to the sounds I'm so used to getting with each preset is a turn-off from upgrading the firmware right now.
I've been on the bleeding edge with all betas up to now, but as this one involves rewrites of all the fundamental algorithms, I think I'll sit this one out for now.
I get this 100%. I backed everything up right before I installed it as I also don’t want to make any changes yet as I have a few projects happening with 24.05.

But I’ll mess around with it and see how drastic the soft reset is. If need be I can reload the backup as well as 24.05 and have the exact awesome sound I had this morning.

Did another quick demo using my main high gain preset with YA IR's. I copied it to another slot, renamed fw25, soft reset and input all the fw24 settings and recorded this riff. Some may recognize it.

Now to do the same for the other channels of that block lol

This one was more noticeable to my ears again 24 is the first , 25 second
This one 25 does seem to have more clarity and cut and more mids

I’ve gotta be honest, I hear a lot of things in this clip that I’ve been aware were missing in the AFIII. It sounds more rich, complex, and out of control… like a cranked amp should.

I've always heard more crossover distortion "swirl" (bias excursion) and other artifacts when I crank a real tube amp into a load box, I think Cygnus X-3 brings us closer to that sound.
I also hear too 'polite' / smooth transition into power distortion in this firmware with PPIMV Plexi's, on the real amps I can hear a very clear point where the power tubes start to clip hard and flatten the sound, it's not a smooth transition, I need to test this further.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downlo...xe-fx-3/25p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_25p00_beta2.zip

WARNING: THIS FIRMWARE REPRESENTS AN UPDATE TO THE CORE ALGORITHMS AND MAY CHANGE THE SOUND OF YOUR PRESETS. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. IF YOU ARE NOT PREPARED FOR THIS POSSIBILITY THEN IT IS ADVISED TO NOT INSTALL THIS FIRMWARE. IF YOU DO INSTALL THIS FIRMWARE AND IT CHANGES THE SOUND OF YOUR PRESETS AND YOU COME INTO THIS THREAD AND COMPLAIN THAT YOUR PRESETS SOUND DIFFERENT BE PREPARED FOR SHAME AND RIDICULE.

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

New “Cygnus X-3” amp modeling:
  • Improved preamp algorithms.
  • Improved power amp algorithms.
  • Improved output transformer loss modeling.
  • Improved preamp supply voltage modeling.
  • Nearly all amp models have been “remastered” as a result of new measurement techniques and analytical methods.
Updated Power Tube Grid Bias (or Cathode Resistance, as applicable) default value for most amp models. Existing presets are NOT altered. A soft or hard reset will load the updated value.

Updated Supply Sag default values for many amp models. Existing presets are NOT altered. A soft or hard reset will load the updated value.

Updated Cathode Follower default values for many amp models. Existing presets are NOT altered. A soft or hard reset will load the updated value.

Fixed wrong Miller capacitance value in Deluxe Verb Vibrato, Double Verb Vibrato, Super Verb Vibrato and all Vibrato Verb models.

Fixed wrong FX loop recovery gain in Suhr Badger models.

Added “Sunrise Splendor” Drive model. Existing model renamed “Sunrise Splendor Hi-Cut” to denote that the Hi-Cut switch is engaged.
thank you so much !

Anyone else getting a substantial volume drop rolling through the CCV 2 section? A and B seem much louder than C and D with settings the same.

I've always heard more crossover distortion "swirl" (bias excursion) and other artifacts when I crank a real tube amp into a load box, I think Cygnus X-3 brings us closer to that sound.
I also hear too 'polite' / smooth transition into power distortion in this firmware with PPIMV Plexi's, on the real amps I can hear a very clear point where the power tubes start to clip hard and flatten the sound, it's not a smooth transition, I need to test this further.
PPIMV Plexi’s? So you’re inserting a master volume onto a NMV amp?

PPIMV Plexi’s? So you’re inserting a master volume onto a NMV amp?
Sometimes. Adding a PPIMV into a real amp is a tweak that can often sound “better” than using a power brake when lowering dB is a goal. Turning the PPIMV pot to full takes it essentially out of the circuit.

Anyone else getting a substantial volume drop rolling through the CCV 2 section? A and B seem much louder than C and D with settings the same.

it´s been like that for some time, at least since fw 22 or so, IIRC.
CCV 2A, 2B should be louder compared to 2C, 2D, as they have less aggressive diodes engaged in the circuit.
This is my favourite amp inside fractal, so I kinda remember it´s history, all the way from 2017 or so:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom