Axe-Fx III Firmware 25.00 Public Beta (Cygnus X-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I can run the editor with fw25/connect -- but that doesn't mean the editor is 100% compatible yet. So beware and let's all hear from Fractal Audio directly before you try to do anything with the last editor and new fw25.0. It may be that it is okay - but I never assume!
The only thing that is in the release notes that would require an update would be the new Drive model as far as I see...

First impressions after running 200 presets :

A little bit more gain (?)

High gain tones are less defined, more "dirty/fuzzy"

Something happen in the bass/mids area

Less treble globally

No CPU change

The levelling is not really touched but yes some amps need to be ajusted in volume

Conclusion :

Don't sound "better" but dirtier, some may like, some not.

need to rework and control all the presets , scenes etc.

Also take it easy hm, these are the first feelings .
Did you do any Amp 'resetting' to get the new defaults?

That’s cool to read that, I wasn’t dreaming.

But when I read « clarity » I don’t really have the same feel. Here the high gain things are « blurry » now

This is what I will do later, I will reboot everything 👍🏻
This firmware has more rumble and sizzle and if you drive the power amp hard you'll get less clarity.

Using new measurement techniques we found that the real amps were creating more of a certain type of intermodulation distortion than our models. Our new algorithms recreate this more accurately.

If you want a clearer sound you can achieve that by turning down Master Bias Excursion. This will reduce the rumble and sizzle and snarl and all the other nasty stuff. But be aware it's all this nasty stuff that makes amps sound "organic".

The goal is always accuracy. If you prefer less accurate but more "clinical" tones we give you the ability to achieve that with the advanced parameters.

If I want to make all the factory presets have this update correctly, I can just go into Manage Presets and select all of the factory presets and choose "Reset Amp Blocks" correct? Just wanted to verify before I do it. :)

Guys - Some of you will need to understand that resetting an amp block will change some parameter values in your preset(s) of any amp that is not just set at pure amp default.

So yes -- it will def. change a Fractal factory amp-based preset in many cases. (I suspect Fractal team may later have to update some Factory presets for CX3).

This would be a good time for everyone not up on how amp resets work to read Yek's excellent Wiki entry about amp block hard and soft resting and what values change and what do not under each method.

For example, if I want to use fw25 and now must reset a single LiveGold preset with four amp channels ABCD - especially a hard amp reset using the preset manager - after the reset, I will have to go back into each amp block and manually enter the old key parameter values for the following stuff bulleted below to get a true A/B comparison between how the preset sounds on fw25 CX3 versus the prior version on fw24 CX2:

- possibly the presence, depth and a brite cap value (if I altered),

- the input EQ Lo Cut (goes to zero, I use this all the time to clean up woofy low end, at least 66Hz cut and sometimes more)

- any amp block graphic EQ values changed (will all go back to zero)

- Speaker Thump, comp and drive (although the editor's great batch processor handles fixing those universally easily enough)

- if you alter preamp or power amp tubes, or play with negative feedback or Supply sag (I don't usually mess with these)

- any input dynamics or output compression settings (they will go back to zero/default, I adjust these t for cleans a lot), and

- any non-default pre or power amp tubes or variac changes.

Also these change:

- the amp boost value (defaults to 12db on reset, I often use 8db to 10db tied to CS2 switch, depending on amp), plus if you pick a boost type other than neutral that too reverts back),

- the amp saturation value (defaults to 4.0, which sometimes is way too loud if used with my CS5 switch, - you have to custom do values for these per amp to control the volume (I use Ideal type but still have to do this or a preset can clip)

A hard (and some soft) amp reset will erase most of those above that I often tweak to produce a LiveGold preset -- even though it preserves some basic gain and T/M/B stuff.

A soft reset keeps more of your original settings - but not all.

The now-defunct (no longer supported by developer) FracTool was nice when we had it, because it let you "freeze' some of these custom settings listed above to the amp block when you reset an amp.

So - just be aware, if you often change parameters in your amp block like these above, an amp reset is going to write over them and reset them to default -- and you'll have to adjust them back to taste.

(And all this is why it takes forever for me to produce a TonePack update after a major firmware update... because it's all manually done by me to the specific amp am playing each time -- I don't just globally do "set parameter" stuff with a batch processor and hope it works out).

So, as always...if you like your presets now, you don't have to change. Before you try a new firmware like this that is explicit in how it will alter your existing sounds -- back up your presets first, and keep the Cx2 firmware they work under saved, and you can always revert backwards later if you like.

Last edited:
Guys - Some of you will need to understand that resetting an amp block will change some parameter values in your preset(s) of any amp that is not just set at pure amp default.

So yes -- it will def. change a Fractal factory amp-based preset in many cases. (I suspect Fractal team may later have to update some Factory presets for CX3).

This would be a good time for everyone not up on how amp resets work to read Yek's excellent Wiki entry about amp block hard and soft resting and what values change and what do not under each method.

For example, if I want to use fw25 and now must reset a single LiveGold preset with four amp channels ABCD - especially a hard amp reset using the preset manager - after the reset, I will have to go back into each amp block and manually enter the old key parameter values for the following stuff bulleted below to get a true A/B comparison between how the preset sounds on fw25 CX3 versus the prior version on fw24 CX2:

- possibly the presence, depth and a brite cap value (if I altered),

- the input EQ Lo Cut (goes to zero, I use this all the time to clean up goofy low end, at least 66Hz cut and sometimes more)

- any amp block graphic EQ values changed (will all go back to zero)

- Speaker Thump, comp and drive (although the editor's great batch processor handles fixing those universally easily enough)

- if you alter preamp or power amp tubes, or play with negative feedback or Supply sag (I don't usually mess with these)

- any input dynamics or output compression settings (they will go back to zero/default I use that for cleans a lot), and

- any non-default pre or power amp tubes or variac changes.

Also these change:

- the amp boost value (defaults to 12db on reset, I often use 8db to 10db tied to CS2 switch, depending on amp),

- the amp saturation value (defaults to 4.0, which sometimes is way too loud if used with my CS5 switch, - you have to custom do values for these per amp to control the volume (I use Ideal type but still have to do this or a preset can clip)

A hard (and some soft) amp reset will erase most of those above that I often tweak to produce a LiveGold preset -- even though it preserves some basic gain and T/M/B stuff.

A soft reset keeps more of your original settings - but not all.

The now-defunct (no longer supported by developer) FracTool was nice when we had it, because it let you "freeze' some of these custom settings listed above to the amp block when you reset an amp.

So - just be aware, if you often change parameters in your amp block like these above, an amp reset is going to write over them and reset them to default -- and you'll have to adjust them back to taste.

(And all this is why it takes forever for me to produce a TonePack update after a major firmware update... because it's all manually done by me to the specific amp am playing each time -- I don't just globally do "set parameter" stuff with a batch processor and hope it works out).

So, as always...if you like your presets now, you don't have to change. Before you try a new firmware like this that is explicit in how it will alter your existing sounds -- back up your presets first, and keep the Cx2 firmware they work under saved, and you can always revert backwards later if you like.

Excellent post and advice, Buddy...!
Me? I'm not a tweaker, but I do have heaps of presets created by others, including a whole lot of yours. And from Burgs.
So for me, as just a player not a tweaker, the risk to the sounds I'm so used to getting with each preset is a turn-off from upgrading the firmware right now.
I've been on the bleeding edge with all betas up to now, but as this one involves rewrites of all the fundamental algorithms, I think I'll sit this one out for now.

That's interesting. And may implore me to D/L it.
Can you elaborate? (I also play with headphones, AT M50x.)
Usually when I play my high gain presets on my headphones (Drop HD6XX, basically Sennheiser HD600s), there's a piercing high end that makes my ears tire out fairly quickly. Now, after resetting the amp on a few of my presets and re-dialing them in, I find that those presets in my headphones sound a lot more like those presets sound through my monitors. It sounds more... idunno... real, and less processed. TBF, it's a been a thing with my guitar tones through headphones since before digital was a thing, so I'm not sure what Cliff did, but to me it's magic.

Not sure I hear any major changes on my usual factory and aftermarket presets after I did a soft reset on all 768, but it had already been fantastic for several months over multiple firmware updates. I only do minor tweaks to tailor to my guitars and rig.

Whatever Fractal thinks is an improvement is all good with me. 👍

I just compared my 100W Plexi to the model w/ a sine wave generator and the actual amp has slightly more prominent ghost notes. Probably because the filter caps are old. As capacitors age their capacitance decreases and, hence, the B+ time constant decreases thereby increasing supply ripple. Time for a cap job.

Pretty amazing that the level of accuracy is such that when there is a discrepancy between the amp and the model it indicates a problem with the amp!

Initial impressions on my main amp, a Plexi 100W Jumped:

Settings
  • Definitely requires re-adjusting settings with an open mind because the changes are substantial.
  • Had to turn the gain up quite a bit.
  • I turned the Normal channel up more, relative to the high channel. Normal channel is adding more body and less mud than before.
  • Negative Feedback: on prior firmware, I had turned it up to 5.23 (purely on what I thought sounded/felt good, not authenticity). New default is 5.30.

Tone
  • Overall very substantial change to tone and feel.
  • More clarity. Tighter, more focused / less smear, especially the lows. Better string separation.
  • Mids are punchier.
  • Feels like there is a more solid core that each string is producing. Easier to dial in a nice beefy tone with less fat.

So far, I am loving it! This firmware is scratching an itch I couldn’t quite get on the previous firmware.

P.S. I made sure I set any advanced parameters I had manually tweaked to the same values after amp reset.

Edit: turns out I created a higher gain tone than intended and needed to dial it back later.

Last edited:
I think Supply Sag is a little high on Plexi 1970, Plexi 100W, and 1959SLP, sounds like an octaver effect when playing B3 notes.

I’ve gotta be honest, I hear a lot of things in this clip that I’ve been aware were missing in the AFIII. It sounds more rich, complex, and out of control… like a cranked amp should. Great job to Cliff for finding a new aspect to measure in the amps and models.
8E60B088-C3C5-429F-B834-27A5D0998551.gif

Last edited:
Initial impressions on my main amp, a Plexi 100W Jumped:

Settings
  • Definitely requires re-adjusting settings with an open mind because the changes are substantial.
  • Had to turn the gain up quite a bit.
  • I turned the Normal channel up more, relative to the high channel. Normal channel is adding more body and less mud than before.
  • Negative Feedback: on prior firmware, I had turned it up to 5.23 (purely on what I thought sounded/felt good, not authenticity). New default is 5.30.

Tone
  • Overall very substantial change to tone and feel.
  • More clarity. Tighter, more focused / less smear, especially the lows. Better string separation.
  • Mids are punchier.
  • Feels like there is a more solid core that each string is producing. Easier to dial in a nice beefy tone with less fat.

So far, I am loving it! This firmware is scratching an itch I couldn’t quite get on the previous firmware.

P.S. I made sure I set any advanced parameters I had manually tweaked to the same values after amp reset.
This is pretty much exactly what I thought. Gain feels substantially lower to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom