Axe-Fx III Firmware 25.00 Public Beta (Cygnus X-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just struggling yesterday with a Marshall sound where I could not get the high end sizzle just right. Tried different amp settings, changed drive pedal settings, shoot new IR's with multiple mics, but none of that seemed to work. Too bad I did not check for new FW yesterday because I didn't expect a new one on a Saturday evening...

Suddenly this firmware appears promising more sizzle. Dude, sign me up!

Everything is sounding pretty great for me without too many adjustments, definitely feels amazing to play, the biggest change I've noticed is that my Soldano 100 Lead preset is about 12db louder than anything else, no idea what happened there but it used to be a lot closer in volume to the other amp models I use.

[Edit]
My go to djent / modern metal presets don't feel as tight, so I'll need to adjust them a bit, but all my blues / rock / jazz presets are sounding great and the feel is really incredible, the dynamics seem drastically improved especially on edge of breakup stuff, sounding much sweeter to my ears. What an incredible team!

Last edited:
I have reamped a track with my favorite JS410 Lead Red preset that I recorded yesterday with the previous FW.

No remarkable changes after upgrading to FW25 without resetting the AMP

Slightly darker, losing clarity on the highs, after restetting the AMP (keeping the main parameters intact). Probably caused by the "more rumble and sizzle, and if you drive the power amp hard you'll get less clarity" to recreate the real beast more accurately, as described by Cliff here:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...00-public-beta-cygnus-x-3.202659/post-2534967

So, I am fine with the upgrade without resetting the AMP. Or slightly increasing highs after resetting (at least for that existing preset)

Did you do any Amp 'resetting' to get the new defaults?
Hi,
No not yet, because as Austin buddy said, when you do that, you have to redo everything.
But yeah I will redo all the amp blocks from scratch with this update, that’s life.

Also thanks to fractal to confirm my feeling in high gain. I will surely find a way to reduce that with your tips and all the others tools

Last edited:
it´s been like that for some time, at least since fw 22 or so, IIRC.
CCV 2A, 2B should be louder compared to 2C, 2D, as they have less aggressive diodes engaged in the circuit.
This is my favourite amp inside fractal, so I kinda remember it´s history, all the way from 2017 or so:D
Thanks!

I do think it would be amusing to watch if Cliff released some killer new features just on the FM3 and waited a good 6-9 months before adding to the FX3. There’d be a lot of pearl clutching going on…
Or fm3 owners could buy axe3’s if they need the latest updates, which if bought new are even more advantageous to Cliff ;)

This is a beta thread - users are supposed to identify possible issues

Installed, then copied my presets (Ones that I created) and saved, thanks to Fred's suggestions to do this. (Post #27) Paired old and new together, did a hard reset on the new preset (25) and set the Ideal to match the old, and compared. Kept all other Amp settings to the reset values for V25.

Stealth Red:

1st: had to lower the output level 1.4 dB
2nd: lowered Bias Excursion to 96% to trim the beef and sizzle a bit

Low end is more articulate, the frequencies are more easily identified, not cluttered in a mass so to speak
Mid is more present, but in a pleasant manner
Upper Mids are more clear and pleasant
High end is clear and more defined, but in a non fatiguing manner. Albeit there's less high end overall

Took a bit to adjust to more match the older version, but I soon noticed the differences by listening to an old DI track recorded in the older version, then re-amped to V25 to make a more cohesive comparison, but well worth the effort. I then realized what I was hearing was a more clear representation of the actual amp itself, as I own and love the Stealth 100W head, and this current update has more accurately replicated the actual amp.

It's as if this latest major update has provided more clarity of all frequencies, not that adjustments won't be necessary, but more sonic depth and clarity keep coming to mind as the descriptive words.

Well done, thank you Fractal Team

Last edited:
This comes with a great warning. Fractal Audio is heroic. Really excited about a fully new version!
The lament for fleeting, current individual settings seems counterproductive, as the modeling becomes increasingly more accurate. This isn’t random change - it is directional change. As long as the improvements can be implemented on the same hardware platform, these improvements are free. Plus, Fractal Audio provides so much individual control over parameters - the ultimate collection of virtual component characteristics, values, routing, pots, and switches.

For me at least, the target is accurately simulating the performance of circuitry, components, and design specific to all the amps, effects, speakers, etc, that make up the great and obscure amps and devices. I cannot own them all (I have tried), and I certainly can’t manage more than three or four of the amps onstage (I have tried). My individual wish is not for a specific amp or effect. Instead, I want increasingly accurate and precise emulations, of hardware and circuitry behaving as originally designed.

The parameters allow me to tweak without a soldering gun or a wallet, but those are my responsibility.

I’m ready to load the new firmware. If I find a bug, I’ll report it. Many of you are better at finding these and reporting bugs. As for small nuances of sound, my hearing and age are congruent. I won’t be much help.

Wow - Thanks Cliff,
This update really does make things feel more 'real' (whatever that means). More words would be 'Raw', 'Naked', 'Unsubtle', 'abrupt'...It's like the amps have more dynamic range or something. I like it.

Thanks
Pauly
The same happens to me. It is difficult to describe in words why I perceive a great improvement with this update, after having reset the Amp block and readjusted parameters to my liking.
I think the closest thing is to say that it sounds more real and organic, plus the aggressive high and low cuts of a PEQ are no longer necessary. Everything sounds better.
But it is important to highlight that the improvements are seen to a greater extent after restarting the AMP block. At least that's the experience I'm having.
Thanks Cliff!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom