Axe-Fx III Firmware 24.03 Release

NOT A BUG: Gapeless switching, preset attached.
There are audiable artefacts, even if no change in signal flow is in scene change.
It's reproducible:
  1. Play long tone in input 1, listen output 1, switch between scenes 3,4.
  2. Play long tone in input 2, listen output 2, switch between scenes 1,2.
Out 1 bug
Out 2 bug

Attachments

• Gapeless bug.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:
But not necessarily fit enough to update the main fractal download page (not forum page), otherwise we would have already had 24.xx versions on that webpage. You of all people know how easy it is to update that link on the webpage so if it was "all stable versions go on webpage", then why is it still on 23.05?

The website version always lags behind the forum and NEVER gets all updates posted there, only the most stable of stable versions. It has been discussed in the past year or two hear on the forum, that the website version does not get updated with each FW release and it is more than about Matt being in charge of it. See above and below.

If you are referring to this post: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-iii-firmware-24-02-release.200616/post-2503600 , Cliff is referring to the auto update in Fractal bot (the comment he was responding to was "Cliff The auto update function in the editor still offers the 24.02 version."), not the FW listed on the webpage I was mentioning. Fractal Bot is NOT using that webpages values or content to generate it's update messages. If it was, it would still be offering 23.05 and most of us know that Fractal Bot has already offered us 24.01, 24.02 and 24.03. So no, Matt being the handler of any of this is not why the web page is not updated.
I stand by what I wrote.

I stand by what I wrote.
What you said is what I always thought:
  • Betas are labeled as betas
  • Non-betas posted on the forum are real releases, thought to be stable
  • The web site gets updated when priorities allow, but posting there doesn't indicate any greater final-ness or stability
Beyond that, this being real life, sometimes real releases have bugs, with varying degrees of severity, under more or less common circumstances, which are often fixed quite quickly in a followup release, especially if they're significantly problematic. You need to do your own due diligence testing for super critical situations, like any other gear or software, and maybe hold off on updates until after.

EDIT: THAT'S WRONG, I DIDN'T KNOW.
See this post, which includes quotes and links to Cliff's own FIRST-HAND statements about this.

Last edited:
BUG: Gapeless switching, preset attached.
There are audiable artefacts, even if no change in signal flow is in scene change.
It's reproducible:
  1. Play long tone in input 1, listen output 1, switch between scenes 3,4.
  2. Play long tone in input 2, listen output 2, switch between scenes 1,2.
Out 1 bug
Out 2 bug

The crossfade triggers for ALL outputs whenever amp blocks change channels. Your amp blocks are changing channels between scenes. Not a bug.

The crossfade triggers for ALL outputs whenever amp blocks change channels. Your amp blocks are changing channels between scenes. Not a bug.
Thanks for fast response.

In that case proposal for improvement... Trigger crosfade only for those outputs, which are in signal flow contains amp block changing channel between scenes.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I cannot update to Firmware 24.03. I can get to the point were I would click on begin to download but nothing happens.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I cannot update to Firmware 24.03. I can get to the point were I would click on begin to download but nothing happens.
Most likely FractalBot is still pointing to 24.02 but the link has been pulled.

Check the version reported in FractalBot.

Otherwise, go to the first post in this thread and download, unzip, install.

Otherwise, go to the first post in this thread and download, unzip, install.
^This^

While the automation is nice and convenient, managing it manually works just as well, plus it gives me an opportunity to make sure any in-process preset changes are saved and I've run a final backup before updating the firmware. And, once it's finished updating I run another backup so I have "book marks" on either side of the update in case I need to revert something.

I wonder if there's a particular reason why the crossfade is done on the out blocks and not on the amp blocks (and those few other blocks which introduce the gap).

The link on this page for FW:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-iii-downloads/
Is always going to be considered a stable release.

The Betas are just that, experimental changes that are likely to not be 100% stable.

Official FW releases here on the forum are not considered final/stable but are no longer Betas.

The release listed at https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-iii-downloads/ will always be a stable release where all known bugs have been worked out. FW 24.03 SHOULD be showing up in your Fractal Bot. If it is not, ensure you have the latest Fractal Bot and Axe Edit. If that still does not work there are workarounds to install, but the way it is programmed it should be telling you if a new FW release is available (although it does not recognize the Beta's as new releases and will not warn you from what I understand).

We need to understand that when developing anything, there are going to be delays before one can truly declare something "stable". In order for that to happen, the FW (including FW's that have graduated from beta) must be in circulation to reach such a conclusion. Therefore, when a FW is released and is NOT a Beta, it will not be instantly put on the downloads page of the FAS website as that slot has been reserved for something that has reached all above criteria. It will be put on that page once it has spent some time in the field to ensure that all bugs have been found and addressed. On the forum, we are LUCKY to be able to enjoy the incremental updates, even prior to them meeting all criteria to be considered stable.

If you choose to use the FW's from here on the forum pages as opposed to the FW appearing at https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-iii-downloads/, you are doing so at your own risk. If you have any concerns, use ONLY the FW that is listed on the official stable release page. Otherwise, be prepared to be both a guinea pig and a leech ;~))
Are you speaking from first hand knowledge or is this your opinion? Cause it doesnt make sense.

The old Brit Silver model was actually a Lerxst Omega, which begs the question of why it was labeled as a Brit Silver originally. If the new model is actually a Marshall 2555 then why not rename the old to Lerxst and create the new one alongside?
Ah, Makes sense. I had a Jubilee back in the day with the matching V30 cab. The model didnt seem right to me but it's been a while.

I wonder if there's a particular reason why the crossfade is done on the out blocks and not on the amp blocks (and those few other blocks which introduce the gap).
Off the top of my head, it's probably to bottleneck the code that handles the crossfade. Having it in multiple places would require synchronizing them, which, on a system that uses events to communicate between the code blocks, would introduce gaps as the first to receive the message has to halt and wait for the others.

When it's in the Out block the others can continue processing and passing the signal down the chain, and the Out block just takes what it was given and fades.

Fractalbot is linking to the previous FW and it's no longer there. Took me a minute to see what was happening. Download the link from the first post on this thread...

Back
Top Bottom