Axe-Fx III Firmware 23.04 Release

Cliff, can we also expect a 5153 50W Green and Red on the horizon?
There are Red, Green, and Blue channels for the 100W Stealth, and the 100W normal. I believe the normal 50W Green and Red are identical to the 100W so they weren't modelled, but the 50W blue is higher gain than the 100W so it was modelled.

I'm really surprised how little attention the surprise addition of a MArk V channel is getting. Does that mean some of it's more off the wall modes might be coming in the future? Is there a nice way to change an amp to single ended in the advanced settings like that amp could do?

I'm experiencing something weird since updating from 23.02 to 23.04. I have midi controlling my Axe FX III via Logic for backtrack sessions and every time I hit play/pause or use the arrow keys in my session to move measures my Axe FX emits a click tone that clips out of my stereo Output 2. This happens when changing presets during the song as well. Scene changes within presets don't set off the tone. Is there a way of reverting back to 23.02? I have a show coming up where this will be extremely problematic and don't want to take any chance of these clicks happening during the performance. Thanks!
Always. Find the OP for that version, then update to that FW.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-iii-firmware-23-02-release.199440/

I just noticed a brief burst of noise when switching channels on a delay. I discovered that it happens when switching from a delay with the compander off to one with it on in the same block. Is this known/expected?
I can't replicate this. Can you post an example preset?

I have found an issue with stereo routing. If Output 3 or 4 are set to anything but stereo output in the audio setup it seems to sum to mono.

Attachments

• test.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 0
Super excited that all the EVH 100W Stealth channels are modeled!

The EVH 100W Stealth is apparently very close to the same as the 100W EL34*. From what I've gathered the difference is in the green channel which is a lot cleaner on the EL34 version.

In the model, would this be just as simple as bringing the gain knob way down? Or can anyone offer any other tips? Maybe lower gain preamp tubes?

* I'm assuming the modeled version is the 6L6 version. The EL34 is also technically a "Stealth" model.

Last edited:
Super excited that all the EVH 100W Stealth challnnels are modeled!

The EVH 100W Stealth is apparently very close to the same as the 100W EL34*. From what I've gathered the difference is in the green channel which is a lot cleaner on the EL34 version.

In the model, would this be just as simple as bringing the gain knob way down? Or can anyone offer any other tips? Maybe lower gain preamp tubes?

* I'm assuming the modeled version is the 6L6 version. The EL34 is also technically a "Stealth" model.

The difference in sound between EL34 & 6L6 is not as much as one might think. You can EQ one to sound like the other with some simple EQ tweaks. It's more of a feel and response thing that is different. There's an interview with Dave Friedman where he downplays the differences between EL34 & 6L6.

The difference in sound between EL34 & 6L6 is not as much as one might think. You can EQ one to sound like the other with some simple EQ tweaks. It's more of a feel and response thing that is different. There's an interview with Dave Friedman where he downplays the differences between EL34 & 6L6.
I'm not talking about the difference between tubes. There's a difference in the circuit in the 100W Stealth (6L6) head and the 100W EL34 head.

For an example of what I'm talking about, you can go to 9:49 in this video (not my video).

From the several videos I’ve listened to the EVH stealth sounds (feels and responds) a good amount differently than the non stealth models. It almost seems like night and day to me haha

Nice, I was always most interested in the EL34 EVH, as it seemed it might be a bridge between his original and later tones. I wonder if virtually switching the tubes in the stealth to EL34 could get you a bit closer?

From the several videos I’ve listened to the EVH stealth sounds (feels and responds) a good amount differently than the non stealth models. It almost seems like night and day to me haha

There's only one 100w "non Stealth" model, the OG head. The 100w EL34 head is also a Stealth. I have a lot of experience with both 100w Stealth amps and as far as I can hear, the Red and Blue preamps are identical between them.

As for the Green channel, the 6L6 Stealth's Green channel is as hot as it is because part of the "Stealthification" process of modding the original amp was to replace the first gain stage of the Blue channel with the first gain stage of the Red channel. However, the thing most people might not realize is that the EVH 100w amps are actually technically only two channel amps, meaning they only have two truly independent preamp circuits. The Blue channel is simply what you get when you add a couple extra gain stages to the Green channel. Thankfully they went to the trouble of routing in an extra set of channel controls so when you swap to the Blue "mode" you get truly independent controls. It's a neat trick.

However, what this also meant is that when the first gain stage of the Blue channel was replaced with the first gain stage of the Red channel, the first gain stage of the Green channel was also replaced with the first gain stage of the Red channel, which is why the Green channel of the 6L6 Stealth is so gained up. They decided to address this when they made the 100w EL34 Stealth by adding a few components to the Green channel to try and tame it back down to relatively sane levels without messing with the new Blue channel.

Last edited:
I went from 23.03 to 23.04 and the Blue stealth seems broken. Too much gain and treble. Anyone? Sorry if it's been mentioned already

There's only one 100w "non Stealth" model, the OG head. The 100w EL34 head is also a Stealth. I have a lot of experience with both 100w Stealth amps and as far as I can hear, the Red and Blue preamps are identical between them.

As for the Green channel, the 6L6 Stealth's Green channel is as hot as it is because part of the "Stealthification" process of modding the original amp was to replace the first gain stage of the Blue channel with the first gain stage of the Red channel. However, the thing most people might not realize is that the EVH 100w amps are actually technically only two channel amps, meaning they only have two truly independent preamp circuits. The Blue channel is simply what you get when you add a couple extra gain stages to the Green channel. Thankfully they went to the trouble of routing in an extra set of channel controls so when you swap to the Blue "mode" you get truly independent controls. It's a neat trick.

However, what this also meant is that when the first gain stage of the Blue channel was replaced with the first gain stage of the Red channel, the first gain stage of the Green channel was also replaced with the first gain stage of the Red channel, which is why the Green channel of the 6L6 Stealth is so gained up. They got wise to this and when they made the 100w EL34 Stealth, they added in an few components to the Green channel to try and tame it back down to relatively sane levels.
Idk maybe I’m confused then. From the videos I’ve watched, the fractal stealth model seems pretty different to me than the other EVH amp models already in there. Where am I getting this wrong? Hah

I might not have this right, but my memory is that Cliff said the original 50W model was actually a 100W, just mislabeled. If that's true, what changed is that he fixed the name.

Idk maybe I’m confused then. From the videos I’ve watched, the fractal stealth model seems pretty different to me than the other EVH amp models already in there. Where am I getting this wrong? Hah
Your not the Stealth came from a mod EVH did to the OG the stealth is like a Hot rodded version of the original

Back
Top Bottom