Axe-Fx III Firmware 23.04 Release

Release notes from 23.03 for those that missed that brief window:

Fixed wrong output pad in USA JP IIC+ Green model.
Various other fixes and improvements.
Ok, so there have been changes to the USA JP IIC+ Green model in 23.03, but why are all presets (factory and my own) using this model suddenly ear piercingly loud after updating to 23.04? Of course "Refresh after FW update" with most recent Axe-Edit performed.

These 5153 amps are crazy good. I think I cycled through a preset a few years ago and enjoyed it but these are.... yeah crazy good.

Clean to mean and everything in between.

I think I'll sit w the Brit models today. Anyone want to buy a Nobels pedal? Hahah

The Stealth Version is named that way because the real amps come in 3 versions, a 6L6 version, an EL34 version and a Stealth version. They also have 50w and lunchbox versions of each. The differences are just some circuit tweaks and changes.

Except it's only a Mark IIC+, not a MArk IIA, IIB, IIC, or IIC++.
The 6L6 (black) and EL34 are both called “Stealth” on the 100W. Read the chart below. Where they different is the green channel and power tubes.

Hi Cliff, here's the preset in question.

If I'm playing a note, when I switch from channel B to C on DLY1 there's a brief burst of higher volume sound.

Example: https://on.soundcloud.com/YoDzN

Thanks!
That's unavoidable without losing spillover. When the compander is active the data is compressed before being written to the delay line and decompressed when being read. So if you switch from not using the compander to using the compander uncompressed data is expanded which makes it louder.

Just a note of appreciation to Cliff Chase and Company for the inclusion of the low gain versions of the 2204 and 2203. I've whined about their absence for sometime. They sound great. I built a 2203 and 2204, 8 channel with 4 channels each of the low and high gain amps. Wow, talk about versatile! From crystal cleans to crunch grind to searing leads all in one preset.

Again, this is the kind of dedication to their customers that builds loyal customers. No other company I know of goes to these lengths for their customers.

Now to see about that Mesa Mk V Green.

If set to image one, everything is okay

if set to image 2, output 1 collapses to mono the preset I'm running currently does not have output 3 on the grid.

View attachment 130673View attachment 130674

Huge thanks for working this out, I’d been thinking my AxeFX was sounding worse than my FM9 in the last week and this was the cause. Saved me a huge amount of time resetting the system and troubleshooting!

Not sure where you got this but it's full of mistakes.
What mistakes are you seeing? The 50W blue seems to have more gain than the 100W to me. Also I thought the Stealth heads all had more gain than the 100W on the red channels.

It came from Howard Kaplan who designed every EVH amp except the first 100W head and Iconic (and did work with James Brown a little on the Iconic). He recently left EVH.

He talks a lot about designing the amp in these videos (there's a lot of overlap of course). He does talk about how they added gain at points and how some things were "left that way" because Eddie liked them. And they're also 2 hours long each 😂

Last edited:
What mistakes are you seeing? The 50W blue seems to have more gain than the 100W to me. Also I thought the Stealth heads all had more gain than the 100W on the red channels.

It came from Howard Kaplan who designed every EVH amp except the first 100W head and Iconic (and did work with James Brown a little on the Iconic). He recently left EVH.

He talks a lot about designing the amp in these videos (there's a lot of overlap of course). He does talk about how they added gain at points and how some things were "left that way" because Eddie liked them. And they're also 2 hours long each 😂

Every channel in the 100S is different than the OG 5153.

Ok, so there have been changes to the USA JP IIC+ Green model in 23.03, but why are all presets (factory and my own) using this model suddenly ear piercingly loud after updating to 23.04? Of course "Refresh after FW update" with most recent Axe-Edit performed.
You literally quoted the reason:

Fixed wrong output pad in USA JP IIC+ Green model.

The model was incorrectly very quiet...

Every channel in the 100S is different than the OG 5153.
Despite Howard's chart, that does seem to mirror what I've heard in demos and such. The only 100w head I had was the OG 6L6. I've had all the 50w head versions (including OG 6L6 and V2 6L6), and the 50w 2x12 combo and i thought all those were at least slightly different from the OG 100w across all channels. I didn't have the 100w for long I didn't really a/b much (and hardly at all on the green).

I have both the 100W and 100S. The Green channel on the 100S is almost impossible to get clean without lowering the guitar volume (even at .5 on the green gain knob there is still a bit of distortion). The 100W you can get a good clean sound out of it with some tweaking. I modified my 100S so that the green channel was about the same as the 100W so they are different between those two amps. The 100S also has more thump than the 100W at lower (well, all) volumes. It is a pretty different animal from the 100W.

I have both the 100W and 100S. The Green channel on the 100S is almost impossible to get clean without lowering the guitar volume (even at .5 on the green gain knob there is still a bit of distortion). The 100W you can get a good clean sound out of it with some tweaking. I modified my 100S so that the green channel was about the same as the 100W so they are different between those two amps. The 100S also has more thump than the 100W at lower volumes.
Ironically, in one of those interview vids, Howard said he definitely made the green cleaner on the Stealth and that was NOT my understanding.

Hmm. I thought he was talking about the 100w head but now I'm wondering if he was talking about the 50. Guess I need to find that part again lol

Edit: Oh, when he mentioned making the green channel cleaner he was specifically talking about the EL34 heads and that's accurate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom