Axe-Fx III Firmware 23.03 Beta #1

I must be the only one who’s not impressed with the sound of the Stealth. Judging from clips only as I am far away from my gear. The amp / model seems so saturated that it reminds me of Boss and Zoom gear. I should probably run and hide.

Just spent a couple hours with 23.03b1 and I think the OVD-1 is the new favorite for driving my lead tone.

Really digging the 2203 too.

Don't run and hide, be proud!
Pixel Illustration GIF by Walter Newton

The Nobelium Drive is great.
Tried it with a Fender Twin and an AC-15.
Drive 3, tone 6.5 for chords. Drive 7 for lead.
Bass cut works well for humbuckers.
Nice.
You got that right. Nobels ODR-1 with Fenders: Twin, Pro, Vibrolux… and now in the Axe FX. One upgrade that has the ODR-1 and the Marshall 2203 can only be described as completely magic. And both are behaving completely right.

I must be the only one who’s not impressed with the sound of the Stealth. Judging from clips only as I am far away from my gear. The amp / model seems so saturated that it reminds me of Boss and Zoom gear. I should probably run and hide.
I’ve never played a real one. Never owned a Peavey.

Je bent niet alleen! (I lived for almost a year just north of Maastricht (Born/Sittard).

Dude, this is what I'm saying! I was sitting here with the new pedals in front of the 2203 getting all sorts of dynamic goodness, but then I just decided to try the Stealth alone, and I was like, "Who needs pedals

The Red Stealth channel has a different tonestack than the OG and gobs more gain, it's a very different beast.
according to the late great EVH, the stealth is a mod he developed for the OG with more gain and aggression but most importantly he wanted the blue and red channels to be more seamless than the OG so the tonestack between the blue and red are much more aligned in the stealth version as are the gain
The red on the stealth is an extension of the blue just more saturation

I'd be curious what the Fractal folks think of the new gear. They added it and can probably comment more closely on how closely the EVH and Marshall models relate. I always enjoy hearing how XYZ drive is "just another TS-9" or whatever.

This Stealth 100W blue channel is so dynamic, I've fallen in love with it. I'm running the 4x12 Recto Straight speaker impedance curve into a couple of misaligned factory 2x12 Brown Super IRs for some upper mid nasty, and I'm playing my Sun Valley Super Shredder modded with a direct mount JB bridge and a Giovanni GCS-LN stacked single coil neck, both pickups with 50s Les Paul wiring and .015 tone caps. At the intro I'm increasing the volume and tone knobs on the neck pickup, the bridge is just at 10 and 10.

sounds nice and chunky ;-)

What? This is the most exquisite delicatessen! But it needs to be treated with subtlety. Do not listen to the brutish. :D

Just some random doodling. Guitar volume at max all time. Controlling dynamics only with the fingers you can drive it from ethereal clean to shredding hot

Last edited:
Interesting, the default is 'On' and the firmware update should not have changed it. Well, that's beta.

The default 'On' was always enabled under the hood, it compensates the output volume of the amp block when you adjust the NFB value, this is NOT how a real amp works, this update allows us to disable this artificial compensation and make the NFB control work like it does on a real amp.
This mod simply requires the user to adjust the block's output level to compensate for the NFB setting's effect on output level, rather than the block's output level compensation happening automatically in response to the NFB setting, and the mod has no meaningful effect on the sound of the amp other than post amp modeling output level.

In other words, it was a helpful feature that is simply better than the real deal (as many other Axe features are better than the real deal, like having a block output level control post the amp modeling period, which allows modeled amp tube power section clipping at any level (like a slave amp setup in the real world), and all of the other amp block's advanced features which don't require a soldering iron to use.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom