Axe-Fx III Firmware 23.03 Beta #1

Pre-pre-Beta testing without seeing or playing the model.

Super Freak Flirting GIF by Rick James

Essentially.

It's not always the same. For example in a 5153 Red the coupling cap is 470pF but the low-cut frequency is dependent upon the gain control. In this case the low-cut parameter is the coupling cap off the second stage (1nF).

I tried to give the user some control over the low-end voicing whenever possible. Sometimes this is the coupling cap from the input buffer. Sometimes this is the next stage.

That's really interesting. I've heard this talked about before but I was never able to get more info so I never really knew if it was true or not. Can I ask whether the low-cut frequency cutoff point raises or lowers as the gain is increased?

edit: Also, again, you probably already know this, if you're planning on modeling the Stealth 100's Red channel, an "easter egg" (or more likely a design fault) in that channel is that the Blue channel's Gain knob also impacts the overall sound of the Red channel, so exposing that as a user parameter to the user in the form of a second gain knob would be really, really cool.

Last edited:
Does anybody see any discrepancy with the new Evh 50w stealth amp? On the amp list wiki it has 5150 100w blue, green, and red listed with "stealth" as a suffix, along with the 100w non suffix counterparts. All I see on my amp list is a blue 50w stealth, a regular 50w blue, and standard 100 watt blue/red green.What am I missing either figuratively or literally? Thanks guys

Last edited:
I am in my 40s and don't consider myself a young gun anymore :) I also go to museums crossing my arms behind my back and lean forward to look at a painting, that's definitive proof being old, isn't it.

I was just wondering if there's a technical aspect to why some amps work for the one's amongst us who favor the lower register ...

Does anybody see any discrepancy with the new Evh 50w stealth amp? On the amp list wiki it has 5150 100w blue, green, and red listed with "stealth" as a suffix, along with the 100w non suffix counterparts. All I see on my amp list is a blue 50w stealth, a regular 50w blue, and standard 100 watt blue/red green.What am I missing either figuratively or literally? Thanks guys
We don’t have the green and red yet but it’s been announced the wiki was probably just updated prior to next beta as Yek knew it’s coming

We don’t have the green and red yet but it’s been announced the wiki was probably just updated prior to next beta as Yek knew it’s coming
Ok gotcha so it's no firmware glitch on my part I hope🙏 So that means we are getting 100w stealths and the other 2 channels for the 50 water?

What difference do you get from the 2203 vs the 50w 2204, just curious. Also, I know you as the "Friedman fellow" lol any itches the new 2203 scratches that are similar? Maybe after flicking the sat switch or using a TS9? I'm curious, haven't been able to update this morning cause my wife is sleeping near my gear lol
Hey! So I dunno how much of a Friedman fellow I am these days (more like Friedman-whine-guy) but I did try and dial some of those hot-rod-y tones on the 2203. I'm not really using it for that stuff to be completely honest, but I did spend some time trying to get some sort of high gain-ish tone out of it. As far as the 2204 is concerned, I couldn't get "modern" sounding high gain out of it; it always had that low-mid "fudge" (almost like a bit-crushed tone?) that was hard to dial out and I'd rather stick to the usual suspects to get those tones than lock horns with a Plexi/JCM type amp and force it to do something that it isn't exactly designed for. The 2203, on the other hand, with just a few tweaks, does get a lot more chunky and even djent-y. Especially with a Klon boosting the living hell out of the front end and the saturation switch on, the palm mutes are more satisfying on the 2203 than on other Plexi or JCM circuits in the Axe. I tried dialling it to sound as close to the JVM OD2 I like these days for that Marshall-based modern high gain tone, and I was quite happy with the results I got! It doesn't sound as great as the JVM (or the CCV 2C which is even better than the JVM as I've discovered) for that sort of tone but I loved that I could push the amp to that end.

Here's a preset showcasing my go-to high gain rhythm tones (and some other stuff). My favourite is of course the FAS Modern for getting those chugga-chuggs, which is why it is in scene 1. Scene 2 is usually the CCV 2C, but I've replaced it with the 2203 in this preset. The 2203 is dialled in relation to the JVM in Scene 3, so you can go back and forth between the first three scenes to see what I ended up with. Anyway, this was loads of fun and I even got inspired to put down a little demo-idea thing-y using the 2203 from this preset.

All in all, I haven't been as inspired by any other new amp model as I have been with the 2203 in a very long time! Can't thank FAS (and James Freeman, of course, amongst the others on here who pushed for it) enough for making the unit even more awesomererer!!

P.S. – The IR used in the attached preset bundle is ML Sound Lab's Best IR in the World, which is free to download here. But I do use a blend of that and a couple of IRs from MLSound Lab's MEGA-GREEN pack (57-C and 421-C both at -12dB) in my usual preset; I couldn't share that blended IR for obvious reasons :)

Attachments

• Augustodon's Hammer.fasBundle
    19.7 KB · Views: 20
All this talk about the 5153 has me jamming again on my old 5153 with the FX8. Damn it sounds good but the FXIII is so addicting.

5150 stealth blue in a mix.
Baritone in Bb standard with a Duncan Pegasus in the bridge, just some low cut with the input eq and basic BMT PD adjustments, nothing on the git bus but a low cut at 50 hz ish.

I normally use the ccv 2d for this type of music but I do like the stealth here. Way different color than the ccv though.

Attachments

• 5150 stealth blue in a mix.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 22
Back
Top Bottom