Axe-Fx III Firmware 23.03 Beta #1

Joining the chorus of praise for the 5150 blue. Great addition!
I am wondering, why are some amps just working so well with low tunings and other don't?
While I always liked the 5150 series I never really gelled with them, this channel though is a joy to play with my 6 string baritone tuned to Bb.
All I had to do was cut the low end with the input eq and some basic BMT and PD adjustments. Sounds clear and cleans up so well with the volume knob.
Is it so much player/guitar/pickup and amp combination or are there inherent features an amp should have to handle lower tunings?
Curious about your experience ...
Thanks Cliff and team for the seemingly endless spring of colors and pencils!

I am wondering, why are some amps just working so well with low tunings and other don't?
While I always liked the 5150 series I never really gelled with them, this channel though is a joy to play with my 6 string baritone tuned to Bb.
All I had to do was cut the low end with the input eq and some basic BMT and PD adjustments. Sounds clear and cleans up so well with the volume knob.
Is it so much player/guitar/pickup and amp combination or are there inherent features an amp should have to handle lower tunings?
I don't use low tunings. I'm an old fart.

I don't use low tunings. I'm an old fart.
I am in my 40s and don't consider myself a young gun anymore :) I also go to museums crossing my arms behind my back and lean forward to look at a painting, that's definitive proof being old, isn't it.

I was just wondering if there's a technical aspect to why some amps work for the one's amongst us who favor the lower register ...

Last edited:
I am in my 40s and don't consider myself a young gun anymore :) I also go to museums crossing my arms behind my back and lean forward to look at a painting, that's definitive proof being old, isn't it.

I was just wondering if there's a technical aspect to why some amps work for the one's amongst us who favor the lower register ...
That and slapping your knee when it's time to leave, saying "whelp...." when standing up. Comes with the territory

In my experience, filtering out the low end at the input is like 95% of what makes any given distorted amp "good" at handling low tunings.

In my experience, filtering out the low end at the input is like 95% of what makes any given distorted amp "good" at handling low tunings.
Low end cutting is probably the adjustment that makes the biggest difference with whether or not it will play well. Any amp can "work" well enough. I would first cut at the input of the amp, and maybe also in the cab. Don't be afraid to take it all the way up to 160 or 200 hz with an 8 string or drop A. The midrange is where you can make up for those cuts and still sound thick. Just my two cents.

What’s your input settings?

Depends entirely on the amp! Mesa Rectos have almost no input filtering so I cut lows pretty hard going into those amps, but Mesa Mark amps have a ton of low end filtering if you turn the Bass knob down because the Mark's Bass knob is in the circuit before gain, so I don't use any extra pedals that filter low end when I use those.

Just gotta use those ears!

Last edited:
Low end cutting is probably the adjustment that makes the biggest difference with whether or not it will play well. Any amp can "work" well enough. I would first cut at the input of the amp, and maybe also in the cab. Don't be afraid to take it all the way up to 160 or 200 hz with an 8 string or drop A. The midrange is where you can make up for those cuts and still sound thick. Just my two cents.
Sounds like Leo was on to something with the "choke" switch on the Bass VI....

Is there something broken with the Master Fuzz drive? Something seems off, or maybe that's just how it is??

Also, just going thru the drives, levels seem oddly dull with the OD 250, OD 250 Gray, Plus Distortion, and Tone of Kings. I totally don't play the Drive block often to know if these are normal so correct me if I'm wrong. It does seem to get better when boosting the levels to around 7.5-ish but just toggling thru them, those ones stand out as feeling a bit dull

Last edited:
amps which have a relatively lower default negative feedback signal compared to amps with higher nfb signals tend to sound more articulate in lower tunings that and the triode frequencies and preamp cuts , that's s not to say higher nfb nfp amps will not always work well but they generally sound more unclear and blurry , but can still sound better with some adjustments .

Back
Top Bottom