Axe-Fx III Firmware 23.00 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the new gapless switching, I do think it's a good idea at least to try spreading out kitchen sink presets between a few different presets that do different things, as long as you don't switch between the presets rapidly. Like, if there's a part of a song that requires some crazy and fast tap dancing, you can put on an Eric Johnson workout video and program those particular changes to a single preset. But for anything else, why not spread it around, make it easier on the CPU, and just incorporate preset switches where some of your scene, channel, and effect switches used to be. Just a thought.
^THIS^

Not near the unit right now. Will post later. It also exhibits this
behavior with other presets at much lower CPU.
It may have always fluctuated a bit before, just seems like a greater
range swing than I remember.

Thanks
I've always (2.5 years) had these ~3% fluctuations.

About .12% for each shunt, so approximately 3% loss, hardly enough to worry about, in this scenario. I compress the shunts when needed, but like a certain visual layout in Axe Edit, so I don't worry when I have enough CPU space.
But I see your point if I needed more memory.
I had noticed several claiming they have CPU issues. So my post was to show how CPU usage can be streamlined to achieve what's wanted and still not overload the CPU.
When I first was replying to your message, I did read it that you were also having CPU issues, which is why I went through the effort to make the post, but then re-read it to see you weren't having the issue, so I edited it to acknowledge that but kept the post up to help others that might see it and not know. Jealous of your Turbo! :D

@FractalAudio
If it helps…

I'm going through some big presets, and @Burgs' CloudBurgzt is running higher. Scenes 3, 6 and 7 are giving CPU warnings on a FX3 Mk2 with v.23.0 where on v.22.01 they're under 80%.

I'm reloading v.23.0 to see what happens when I turn off gapless switching… with it off the presets don't trigger CPU overage warnings but they're still higher than on v.22.01. The difference is about 1.5% when I toggle it off/on which is what was expected IIRC.

Could this be a cumulative increase with the changes to gapless, reverb, delay, and everything else?

Attachments

• CloudBurgzt.syx.zip
    6.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
@FractalAudio
If it helps…

I'm going through some big presets, and @Burgs' CloudBurgzt is running higher. Scenes 3, 6 and 7 are giving CPU warnings on a FX3 Mk2 with v.23.0 where on v.22.01 they're under 80%.

I'm reloading v.23.0 to see what happens when I turn off gapless switching… with it off the presets don't trigger CPU overage warnings but they're still higher than on v.22.01. The difference is about 1.5% when I toggle it off/on which is what was expected IIRC.

Could this be a cumulative increase with the changes to gapless, reverb, delay, and everything else?

Here's what I measure for that preset (gapless turned off, AxeFX III mk I):

22.01: 75%
23.00b6: 76%
23.00b7: 81%
23.00: 81%

That's scene 1. Like you say, other scenes are higher and I'm getting cpu warnings even with gapless turned off.

It's the same as the case I posted above where there was a sizable jump between beta 6 and beta 7. AFAIK, the only difference between beta 6 and 7 is the tremolo and my preset doesn't even have a Pan/Tremolo block, so this looks like there's a chance that increase might be unintentional.

It'd be nice to know one way or the other if this is a bug and a fix is forthcoming, or if this is the new reality and presets need to be modified to accommodate it.

Last edited:
I mostly like Flanger before distortion but I often have a 2nd flanger block after distortion for a more defined effect from time to time. Having this great sounding tape flanger in the Chorus block means I can get by with just the Chorus block after distortion and use it for both Flanger or Chorus on different channels - great for CPU savings!

Same preset with FW 22.01 and 23 (gapless OFF)
10% difference

View attachment 129667

View attachment 129668
Wow! 10% increase even with gapless turned off. Reading thought the posts I see lots of people reporting varying CPU increases even with gapless turned off. I am still on FW 22 and was excited to see FW23 was out. I was just getting ready to install it, but I really don't have the time to re-do all my presets because of increased CPU right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom