Axe-Fx III Firmware 23.00 Public Beta #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friendly reminder that if your system sounds off , to reset system parameters! It's been a long time since I've done it and have done numerous FW updates since then. My presets were sounding off today and recalled a thread somewhere encouraging to do a reset of system parameters from time to time. Weird little things under the hood get goofy over time and quickly reacquainted myself with the process and what settings to note and export (FC all layouts) before doing it. Thank god I took pics of all my I/O and Midi page settings on the front panel before doing it. Though I forgot to note my Stand-in switch assignments! quick review on how to do that. got it. Back to sounding awesome.

Just updated the firmware. Thank you Fractal team! Excellent.

The gapless switching is excellent. It will change the way I use the Axe. I stay on a preset during a song and use scenes for verse, Ch, Solo, etc. Now with the gapless switching, instead of switching scenes, I could switch presets and use the scenes for spontaneous variations.

It's a bona fide game changer. Thank you!

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downlo...xe-fx-3/23p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_23p00_beta1.zip

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

Improved Amp block triode algorithm.

Updated all JS410 Lead models based on a current production JVM410HJS.

Added JS410 Lead Green amp model.

Added Pitch High Cut parameter to Reverb block. This can be used to darken/brighten the pitch-shifted component of the reverb.

Added Smoothing parameter to Cabinet block in Dyna-Cab mode.

Preset, Scene and Channel changes are now gapless.

NOTE: Seamless switching is currently not implemented on the USB and SPDIF/AES outputs due to a "programming oversight" :p
So I have tried the new beta and I have an issue using the Synth blocks with the gapless configuration. I have two presets use the Synth blocks much like a Taurus Pedal. Each scene changes a channel on one of the synth blocks. While there was a slight latency or gap there was no abrupt hickup and the transition was smooth to the ear. With the gapless configuration there is now a very apparent bump to the sound of the synth blocks. There is nothing else changing in the scenes, just the synth blocks. This preset is a takeoff of one of the factory presets, "Fremen's Drones of Arrakis". I am attaching the syx file so you can test.

Attachments

• Solar_101523.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 8
With the gapless configuration there is now a very apparent bump to the sound of the synth blocks.

I noticed a similar bump in my cello/violin patch changing certain scenes. Was going to try to isolate it for a bug report but perhaps you have identified the source.

So I have tried the new beta and I have an issue using the Synth blocks with the gapless configuration. I have two presets use the Synth blocks much like a Taurus Pedal. Each scene changes a channel on one of the synth blocks. While there was a slight latency or gap there was no abrupt hickup and the transition was smooth to the ear. With the gapless configuration there is now a very apparent bump to the sound of the synth blocks. There is nothing else changing in the scenes, just the synth blocks. This preset is a takeoff of one of the factory presets, "Fremen's Drones of Arrakis". I am attaching the syx file so you can test.
Probably this:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-iii-firmware-23-00-public-beta-1.198479/post-2468150

I think that the Amp block is where everyone would like to see the gap diminish. I have almost never had an issue with a gap or seamless scene changes as long as the amp channel was not changed. Using the scene controllers has been a good work around even for that. This is the only real issue I have experienced on my Axe FX lll and it is a minimal issue.
Yep that pretty well nails it. I reverted back to 22.01 for now. 23.00 beta is just not usable as it is, for me.

Finally got a chance to update to 23 Beta and make comparisons of my high gain sound. New triode algo seems to make the high gain tone less grainy and less scooped.

Since Dyna Cab, I switched all my presets over from the static IRs. I tried smoothing on my DC cab mics and didn't like it. On the static IRs I used to use for high gain, smoothing definitely helped make them sound more pleasing at around 6. And that was after major time spent aligning IRs down to the .1 values.

Smoothing DC mics just seems to tamp down dynamics and frequency response. Given the tremendous flexibility of being able to move the mics so precisely, then have them automatically aligned, I think it's hard to improve on the results of careful placement and blending of those 4 different mic types...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom