Axe-Fx III Firmware 23.00 Public Beta #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, I was planning to update the JS410 Crunch models as well but my wife got Covid so I've retreated to our "cabin by the lake". When I get back home I'll finish the updates. I wanted to get the firmware into your grubby hands so you could test things out.
First, I hope she's doing okay!

Is there any hardware limitation that would keep the gapless switching from being implemented on the FM9?

Edit: never mind the question--you answered it.

We hope to implement it on the other products. I don't see why we wouldn't be able to but I don't want to promise anything in case there are unforeseen issues.

Last edited:
I thought the same thing when I was using more than one speaker cabinet. When I did smoothing on both of them it wasn't drastic at all. I don't know what is going on but it sounds like that first 0.1 is changing like the align feature at 50. I did find that once I dialed in both cabs it worked just fine
Might due to the fact that MPT is applied when smoothing is turned on, and if it's applied to just one cab when more than one are active, there's no more phase alignment between the two. That obviously doesn't happen if just one cab is active or if all cabs have smoothing/MPT applied

In Leon’s video I feel like I’m still hearing a slight ‘hiccup’ or gap when he switches channels. Is that the case? To me seamless switching means absolutely no gap or hiccup at all. Just smooth switching. Scenes on Axe Fx II switched totally seamlessly and smoothly.

Quick question over all tones are way smoother not a bad thing just a bit to smooth maybe what can I adjust until new Axeedit is out

And not the front panel please :)

Technically it's not gapless, it's near gapless. Just like there isn't zero latency, its near zero latency. The nerd in me wonders how much of an improvement it was in terms of ms. I'm sure it was hella significant!

You're right about system latency, I think nobody can do anything to get a zero latency in the digital domain, it's due mainly because of A/D and D/A conversion.
For AXE FX3 Turbo I've measured 2ms, equivalent of staying ~70cm further from the amplifier (sound travels in the air 34cm every ms).

Not the same for sound switching gaps and switching latency. It is possible to get a zero reaction time.

I was the more interested in gapless sound switching since I was experiencing annoying gaps in my live performances, so I did a huge technical analysis:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-p1-6-technical-measurements-and-info.195653/
to better understand why/when and how to reduce it,

suggesting also one idea/Proof of Concept:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...es-channel-switching-proof-of-concept.197196/
to cut entirely the gap.

There may be other means to get it E.g. with double parallel processing, this will also can get a zero latency in sound switching but halving the CPU resources. And probably other tricks I don't know.

Anyway as soon as I can I will test and measure the new FW, but I'm confident in the "precision attitude" of FAS, I'm pretty sure they say what actually is.

Last edited:
Installed the new FW right before rehearsal today without testing or tweaking anything: this triode thingy is really something, everything sounds better! Sweeter highs, low single note runs have a twangy character to them even with high gain, more clarity...fantastic.
There were a lot of FW updates in the past where I couldn´t hear a difference, not this time!
Gapless switching does nothing for me, I only use 2 presets with dual amps that cover everything I need in 4 scenes, but I´m sure it is great for the majority that uses more presets.

When Cliff @FractalAudio says gapless he means GAPLESS

I recorded analog outs to my audio interface, USB, SPDIF, AES not connected. All changes performed on FC6.

I tested with this preset, which hovers around 75-78% CPU usage, as higher CPU usage used to cause longer gaps, but I also didn't want to be above 80%
View attachment 127636

First I switch the channel in the amp block back and forth, then I switch scenes back and forth, and finally I switch to a copy of the same preset.
View attachment 127638
FW22.01 is at the top, FW23.00b1 is at the bottom. Here is a close-up
View attachment 127637

This gap (amp channel change), I measured at 30 ms, scene gap was the same, preset change was 70 ms (in the old firmware).
These are all gone with the new firmware. However, it seems like there might be a slight audio burst when changing now - The peak burst seems to be on the order of 4 dB, and it exists for less than 10 ms - I would call this inaudible.

BTW: It actually takes longer to backup my AxeFX and update the firmware than to tune my 12-string guitar - I would have thought is was the other way around.

Yes I notice now there is a Bump every scenes changing even nothing change
To me this is a problem because the bump is audible even to switch on a delay or any other effects
In Italy I support lot of professional guitarist who bought AXE FX3 just to avoid any gap and noise during scenes changing, many of theme play with orchestra, on TV, Theatre etc.
All my presets now have this bump in any scene changing
Of course this is a beta and I hope Fractal will fix the issue on the official version

This is the samples I recorded

Last edited:
In Leon’s video I feel like I’m still hearing a slight ‘hiccup’ or gap when he switches channels. Is that the case? To me seamless switching means absolutely no gap or hiccup at all. Just smooth switching. Scenes on Axe Fx II switched totally seamlessly and smoothly.

Even with analog gear there can be a ‘hiccup’, or the discrepancy between two different tones is jarring enough it helps create the feeling of a gap. This is precisely why guys used to tour with giant racks with one effects unit dedicated to it’s own thing, Petrucci is a great example. Or if you use an all analog rig for an example, guys like Eric Johnson or Gilmour are picking spots to switch sounds, you never really see them ever hit/hold a note while switching and the builds of their rigs have a tone of spillover covering up the tiny little gaps.

I played with it for a few minutes last night, just switching presets which jump various layouts/amps/routings and the AxeFX is eating them for breakfast. In a live situation this is a dream, when you’ve got all the other instruments playing I wouldn’t approach changes any differently than I did when I was using amps/pedals. There’s always been a struggle of the exact right spot, especially in the tap dancing days before loop switchers. I wouldn’t even make it a consideration in a practical situation these days.

This is going to go a LONG way in the way people build their presets now. Scenes and Channels are more of organizational tools than something to rely on for faster switching.

This is going to go a LONG way in the way people build their presets now. Scenes and Channels are more of organizational tools than something to rely on for faster switching.
This ^^^ right here about perfectly describes how I am using them, in conjunction with using a lot of Modifiers and Mixers and VolPans (oh my!). Can't wait to see this on FM9! :)

Yes. People were complaining. Joe himself said the production amps don't sound like his amp but people complain and we address the complaints.
I don't have a horse in this race cause I never really used it beyond testing it but for people that really liked the old version have you thought about leaving the "legacy" model in too?

Might seem like a dumb question but can someone explain why gapless switching is seen as such an important feature? I get that it's nice to have but I can't think of a situation where the gap would be such a big problem?
I can see how it could be disruptive as mentioned above, however, imo, even 0 gap with 2 very different tones could still sound like a gap / hiccup (which is I guess where some would make the effort to crossfade / blend one sound into another).

Can I use the current fractalbot to backup with this beta, or should I wait for the next version that will likely come out with the matching axe-edit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom