Axe-Fx III Firmware 23.00 Public Beta #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I notice now there is a Bump every scenes changing even nothing change
To me this is a problem because the bump is audible even to switch on a delay or any other effects
In Italy I support lot of professional guitarist who bought AXE FX3 just to avoid any gap and noise during scenes changing, many of theme play with orchestra, on TV, Theatre etc.
All my presets now have this bump in any scene changing
Of course this is a beta and I hope Fractal will fix the issue on the official version

This is the samples I recorded

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/gapless-test-23-00-beta-1.198480/page-2#post-2467743

Is this what you are referring to?

Might seem like a dumb question but can someone explain why gapless switching is seen as such an important feature? I get that it's nice to have but I can't think of a situation where the gap would be such a big problem?
Don't overthink it... Once you have experienced or are used to gapless switching, chances are you prefer gapless switching. For me: I hate the gaps, and working around the gaps, but I've accepted it. But i am spoiled and have no history of channel switching on real tube amps.

A situation is when i go from strumming into a solo and have to choose where i "want" the gap.

Potential Bug: Smoothing in Dyna Cab is very abrupt. The difference between 0.00 and 0.01 is huge. That difference in Legacy is inaudible.
It's not a bug, it's the minimum-phase transform. You have to be careful when using Smoothing w/ Dyna-Cabs. Since it min-phases the data if you have one slot w/ Smoothing on and another w/ it off you'll get phasing. Go to the Align page and align the waveforms.

Just curious….I notice the leading “flat” line on the waveform of the Dyna-Cabs disappears when the smoothing parameter gets to .03

What is that flat line, and what does it mean that it disappears?

It's not a bug, it's the minimum-phase transform. You have to be careful when using Smoothing w/ Dyna-Cabs. Since it min-phases the data if you have one slot w/ Smoothing on and another w/ it off you'll get phasing. Go to the Align page and align the waveforms.

Interesting. When I tried this I only had one slot unmuted. I'll take another look to see if adding smoothing to the muted slots or simply realigning the unmuted slot changes the audible effect. Thanks for the explanation.

You're right about system latency, I think nobody can do anything to get a zero latency in the digital domain, it's due mainly because of A/D and D/A conversion.
For AXE FX3 Turbo I've measured 2ms, equivalent of staying ~70cm further from the amplifier (sound travels in the air 34cm every ms).

Not the same for sound switching gaps and switching latency. It is possible to get a zero reaction time.

I was the more interested in gapless sound switching since I was experiencing annoying gaps in my live performances, so I did a huge technical analysis:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-p1-6-technical-measurements-and-info.195653/
to better understand why/when and how to reduce it,

suggesting also one idea/Proof of Concept:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...es-channel-switching-proof-of-concept.197196/
to cut entirely the gap.

There may be other means to get it E.g. with double parallel processing, this will also can get a zero latency in sound switching but halving the CPU resources. And probably other tricks I don't know.

Anyway as soon as I can I will test and measure the new FW, but I'm confident in the "precision attitude" of FAS, I'm pretty sure they say what actually is.
Didn't see those threads till now, quite interesting! 👍🏼

Like Marco pointed out. The transition from one amp channel to another initiate an audio spike. It is not a smooth transition and not something I'd want to use with in ear monitors (Which is what I use live). Certain effect blocks also cause this spike. I've found the drive block to be the biggest culprit on my presets.

Hopefully this gets smoothed out in the coming betas...

On the other hand, The scene controller work around pointed out on my FM9 wish thread and fully explained in Cooper Carters video is fantastic! I reworked my main preset using that method and now have fully seamless transitions across 5 scenes.

Installed the new FW right before rehearsal today without testing or tweaking anything: this triode thingy is really something, everything sounds better! Sweeter highs, low single note runs have a twangy character to them even with high gain, more clarity...fantastic.
There were a lot of FW updates in the past where I couldn´t hear a difference, not this time!
Gapless switching does nothing for me, I only use 2 presets with dual amps that cover everything I need in 4 scenes, but I´m sure it is great for the majority that uses more presets.
I believe ya'! Could also be I have fresh ears, but I believe I certainly hear it. The high end is greatly sounding! Firing up the Mesa Mark amps on neck pickup for lead stuff is something else. :kiss:

I did some testing and figured out where this is occurring: it's only on certain cabs, and ony if if you set your trim length or 512 or 256.

To reproduce: reset the cab block, then in Slot 1, choose the 4x12 Solo 100 with the Condenser. Set the trim length to 512 or 256. Strike a chord (literally), and hold it while adjusting Smoothing from 0.00 to 0.01, and you'll hear a massive difference. Now set the trim length to 1024 and MAX, and you'll hear it act the same way it's always acted on Legacy IRs.

I did some testing and figured out where this is occurring: it's only on certain cabs, and ony if if you set your trim length or 512 or 256.

To reproduce: reset the cab block, then in Slot 1, choose the 4x12 Solo 100 with the Condenser. Set the trim length to 512 or 256. Strike a chord (literally), and hold it while adjusting Smoothing from 0.00 to 0.01, and you'll hear a massive difference. Now set the trim length to 1024 and MAX, and you'll hear it act the same way it's always acted on Legacy IRs.
yup - I was using 256 when I noticed it

Is the degree of misalignment dependent on the amount of smoothing dialed in? Or is the misalignment a constant value that occurs simply because smoothing is enabled? In other words, will changing the smoothing parameter between two non-zero values require realigning the waveforms independently for each value?

Fixed for next release.

Thanks for mentioning the change in the JS410 model. It prompted me to see what it was about, after having not really connected with it years ago when I tried it in the AustinBuddy Naked Amps. I had kind-of relegated it to be more of a "headbanger" amp.

Well, with the gain dialed back, piped through the 4x10 Bassman DynaCab, and a VolPan out in front, the Orange Crunch and Lead give some nice straight-up rock sounds with articulation, and the Red Crunch and Lead give a gainer, smokier version of straight-up rock sounds. Throw a little chorus on it when it's 'clean' and it's instant '80s. :D

Hopefully these models will find their way into new "Joe's" versions if they're a lot different from the production model that was added in this firmware. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom