Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Release

Nothing mentioned in the release notes about the install procedure even though a couple of people have said "see the release notes". If it's still a two step procedure it should be clarified in the original post and release notes. I never installed the beta so I'm sitting here a little reluctant to install until there's some confirmation from Fractal. I remember the beta threads mentioning it but unless I'm completely blind (possible), this one says nothing about a two step process. Did it change or not?
1686355095564.png

Improved Amp block channel switching speed.

Dude, this right here...I can't wait to test! Has anyone tried switching Amp Block channels to hear the difference? If so, what models did you switch between? @FractalAudio I remember in my own testing in the past I've found switching between certain amp models was faster than others, but I can't remember which ones! Is there any group of amp models that might switch faster than others, like, e.g., a crunch and a lead channel of the same physical amp, or something like that?

...I am all ears
That's all you really need. :)

The Dyna-Cab mic system makes it extremely easy to move around and get results, much easier than with a real mic. I've spent countless hours with mics and cabs trying to get the 'ideal' placement but all of that knowledge really didn't matter with the Dyna-Cabs.

I started with my 'go to' mic placement but was not pleased with what I was hearing. Took a couple of minutes moving the mics around to get an idea of what each mic sounded like as well as how the extreme positions sounded, then adjusted the mics to what I wanted to hear and wound up with some great tones after about 5 minutes.

While some knowledge is useful when it comes to Fractal gear, knowing how to mic a cab isn't really necessary dialing in Dyna-Cabs. I'm not in any way saying not to research and learn new things, understanding how things work and translating them to the Fractal world can be invaluable. However, I've learned after a few years using the Axe III that simply adjusting parameters and using the ears is really the best approach.

I actually have a question. I have to roll back and forth with different firmware versions to accommodate different clients.

If I roll back to a pre-'Dyna Cab' firmware, then reload firmware 22.00. Will the Dyna Cabs still be there? Or will I need to also re-load them?

I actually have a question. I have to roll back and forth with different firmware versions to accommodate different clients.

If I roll back to a pre-'Dyna Cab' firmware, then reload firmware 22.00. Will the Dyna Cabs still be there? Or will I need to also re-load them?
I was also gonna ask about this as it appears the dynacabs are linked to version numbers. during the upgrade it says wrong dynacab “version”so I think they are linked by release number.

That's all you really need. :)

The Dyna-Cab mic system makes it extremely easy to move around and get results, much easier than with a real mic. I've spent countless hours with mics and cabs trying to get the 'ideal' placement but all of that knowledge really didn't matter with the Dyna-Cabs.

I started with my 'go to' mic placement but was not pleased with what I was hearing. Took a couple of minutes moving the mics around to get an idea of what each mic sounded like as well as how the extreme positions sounded, then adjusted the mics to what I wanted to hear and wound up with some great tones after about 5 minutes.

While some knowledge is useful when it comes to Fractal gear, knowing how to mic a cab isn't really necessary dialing in Dyna-Cabs. I'm not in any way saying not to research and learn new things, understanding how things work and translating them to the Fractal world can be invaluable. However, I've learned after a few years using the Axe III that simply adjusting parameters and using the ears is really the best approach.
I get what you are saying and I appreciate your feedback. I dialed in, by ear, something I liked before I read any articles on what different mic positions may do to the sound. But once I found some positions I liked, I wanted to understand it a bit more! I like to have some logic behind why it is better and what I read there made sense with where I eventually chose to position the mics. As you said, you had a default position you like, and it did not work out. But you did have that starting point. I had no starting point and after reading that article, I will have a better idea of what to do in the future with mic placement in Fractal or real world products using some basic guidelines (other than my ears, the ultimate judge). I also would have made it to my mic placement destination faster if this knowledge had already been in my quiver, which is what I hope reading that (or other similar) article(s) will do for others ;~)) Great new feature and I am looking forward to dialing it in further to reach my tonal nirvana!!

Okay, Dude, it's not only Amp Block Channels that are perhaps gapless, but Preset switching is very very fast for me. I have a Mark II. I remember some time ago when there was another improvement in Amp model switching, I found it to be very model dependent; testing now with this firmware, I can't find any gaps between models yet! I'm not doing some insane mathematical every possible switching scenario test, just random switching, but so far, I can't hear any goddamn gaps! That makes my use of Scene Controllers, Control Switches, extensive Scene Ignore, and Multiplexer / Mixer Blocks unnecessary for the kind of presets I like to make. I don't know how channel switching is with the Drive Blocks these days, but at least, from what I can tell now, if you want eight gapless amp models to switch between in a single preset, be me f**king guest! Dude, the Golden Age has arrived!

Okay, I'm finding this ultrafast switching seems to be the case with the Drive Blocks too. Dude, I don't know what you did, but you just made programming presets so much more flexible. So let's see what the possibilities are, if my assumptions are true for this:

Four Drive Blocks, with Four Channels each
Two Amp Blocks with Four Channels each

Now you can have Sixteen different Drive models going into Eight different Amp models, all gaplessly. I can't imagine anyone actually wanting something that insane, but here we are, in the new frontier of limitless tone.

Here's a huge implication too: parameters for which there are no modifiers available. Let's say you want just to have four gapless settings for Negative Feedback on the same amp. Well, there you go, just copy your Channel A of Amp Block 1 to Channels B - D, and cycle through the Channels for controllable Negative Feedback on the fly. I'm sure those of you with far more intimate electrical knowledge than me could think of much more creative uses. But now, it's easier than ever. My freak out is intensifying...

Owned my Axe iii mk2 Turbo for less than 2 weeks and this is my first update - and what an update!

Pulled up the Revv Gen Red 1 and recto 4x12 slant dynacab (Dynamic 2 on the cap -6db level, Ribbon a touch off center at 0db), touch of reverb and man - glorious tone with minimal tweaking.

As stated above too, amp channel switching seems to now be essentially gapless.

Pretty sure my QC gets listed for sale today. Excellent update, Cliff!

Back
Top Bottom