Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Public Beta (Beta 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting to see how many people here never adjusted their I/O to account for clipping. It sounds like a lot of folks are just now finding out about how much A/D sensitivity affects their tone and having to readjust. I remember reading a lot of misinformation here too about how it was okay to be tickling the reds and "you'd never actually clip or run out of headroom". That should probably get documented a bit more fully in the wiki. It makes a huge difference and goes a long way towards getting rid of a lot of harshness in the high end. I sit at around 9.5% w/ a Strandberg w/ Fishman Fluence Moderns at stock height. If I'm tracking with passive pickups, I adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
Interesting to see how many people here never adjusted their I/O to account for clipping. It sounds like a lot of folks are just now finding out about how much A/D sensitivity affects their tone and having to readjust. I remember reading a lot of misinformation here too about how it was okay to be in the reds and "you'd never actually clip or run out of headroom". It makes a huge difference though and goes a long way towards getting rid of a lot of harshness in the high end. I sit at around 9.5% w/ a Strandberg w/ Fishman Fluence Moderns currently. If I'm tracking with passive pickups, I adjust accordingly.
Great point. My PRS P24 was clipping like crazy at 19% - never knew because it seemed to be appropriately "tickling the red" to my understanding of that phrase. Had to bring it down around 5% - seems a little odd as I don't believe the pickups (57/10) to be "high output", but as so many have mentioned, there are many factors that go into this.

Haven't tested my other guitars - will be interested to see what wil be necessary with higher out out pickups.

Clipping happens instantaneously.
Any meter that doesn't have peak hold or an equivalent clipping indicator may well miss peaks that clip circuitry after that, especially digital stages with absolutely hard clipping.
That's always been true, and is one of the reasons many people allow for some headroom below "the red".
This new indicator is a plus, clearly.

OTOH, it wouldn't surprise me if early stage clipping wasn't very audible if you're going into a distorted amp, or a simulation of one.

Clipping happens instantaneously.
Any meter that doesn't have peak hold or an equivalent clipping indicator may well miss peaks that clip circuitry after that, especially digital stages with absolutely hard clipping.
That's always been true, and is one of the reasons many people allow for some headroom below "the red".
This new indicator is a plus, clearly.

OTOH, it wouldn't surprise me if early stage clipping wasn't very audible if you're going into a distorted amp, or a simulation of one.
I'd go one step further and say that most people don't even know what to listen for. I originally wrote it off when I first got my unit and just assumed the harshness of my tone was part of the digital sound of a modeler/something to try and EQ out.

As i liked the dynacabs work flow a lot but couldn't get into the ballpark i'm after, i tried something ... And it kills !

Set the dynacab to the most approaching result you're after.
Tonematch the source you're after.
Now use the dynacab workflow with the tonematch applied :)
It gets you tons of different sounds in the ballpark in seconds !

I'll try to explain more if someone needs

Last edited:
I'm usually a high gainer, but man I'm diggin' this mid gain stuff.......can't stop noodling! Here's a clip.....yes, crappy playing...yada yada yada laugh.gif

My R0 Les Paul...middle PU position.....ods one hunnerds preset....scene 2

Attachments

• ods one hunnerds v4.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 31
Don't forget this is an "I'm going on vacation" preview beta. I'm sure things like this will be ironed out in further development.
Cliffs going on vacation, but he doesn’t code AxeEdit, that’s done by Michael Pickens. I’m sure Michael will fix it in the next release.

Don't forget this is an "I'm going on vacation" preview beta. I'm sure things like this will be ironed out in further development.
Yeah, I know that. I thought beta threads were for pointing out problems and inconsistencies. I posted one time that I was seeing the same behavior as someone else. Then after posting that I'd done the universal fix of refreshing after new firmware, I got dogpiled by 007 for mentioning it. I honestly don't care if they fix it.

As for will that update come to FM9 or 3 I certainly believe it will, just a matter of when
It would be a shame though if it didnt, easily one of the best feature/ Update implemented in the Helix 3.5
They do sound better, but the major thing is really the ease of use

Funny, I found the Straight can entirely too harsh and thin compared to the Slant. Care to share your settings? Really curious to see how much these cabs will change with the final firmware.

Also, the Recto Slant sounds CRAZY good with a single Dynamic mic. IIRC I had it set to ~1.40 position , 2.5 to 3.0-ish distance.
Sure. Nothing fancy. Here's the settings for the Dual Rec and the Cab block. Also provided is the preset. Please also mind I use an IR Block to flatten my headphones, so you'll might remove it or put your own IR. OUT 2 I used to record in my DAW without the IR Block (as I'm using Sonarworks for my headphones in the DAW).

Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 20.36.28.png

Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 20.36.39.png
Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 20.36.43.png
Using Align to displace the condenser generates a smoother top end. A trick I also use on all my presets. Usually it sounds best doing it with any mic other than the 57 (or in this case the Dynamic).
Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 20.39.05.png
To tidy the high end a bit I use this PEQ for nearly all my presets. Removing some resonating frequencies and also som very, very high end fizz via the 8k setting.
Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 20.37.21.png

Attachments

• MSA D-Recto RM (4x12 ST DYNCAB).syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 32
Sure. Nothing fancy. Here's the settings for the Dual Rec and the Cab block. Also provided is the preset. Please also mind I use an IR Block to flatten my headphones, so you'll might remove it or put your own IR. OUT 2 I used to record in my DAW without the IR Block (as I'm using Sonarworks for my headphones in the DAW).

View attachment 118576

View attachment 118577
View attachment 118578
Using Align to displace the condenser generates a smoother top end. A trick I also use on all my presets. Usually it sounds best doing it with any mic other than the 57 (or in this case the Dynamic).
View attachment 118580
To tidy the high end a bit I use this PEQ for nearly all my presets. Removing some resonating frequencies and also som very, very high end fizz via the 8k setting.
View attachment 118579

Thanks for that! I'll try the preset when i get home.

I’m not sure that the speaker extra parameters works the same as for the legacy one. I have tried the speaker drive, thump this and that and they are way less effective. As dyna cab is another thing, maybe these parameters are not really done for them . But all of this still in beta, axe edit needs a lot of visual fixes. Like the dot moving in cab 1 and 2 when you are tweaking cab 3 etc …
I found the complete opposite. Yes I am using more speaker comp, preamp drive etc. Than before, but I find the controls work way better now with the correct SIC.

I'd go one step further and say that most people don't even know what to listen for. I originally wrote it off when I first got my unit and just assumed the harshness of my tone was part of the digital sound of a modeler/something to try and EQ out.
I haven’t installed the beta, but lowered the AD input from 60% (more is more, right? ) to about 12% after reading through the thread.
To my ear, the low end cleared up on high gain patches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom