Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Public Beta (Beta 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My request is simple, reasonable and makes sense to anyone that has ever miked a cab. However, I do realize that some mike their cabs sideways.

It doesn't make as much sense from a UI perspective given it's a 2D interface. The side view can represent both distances in a simple manner; a frontal view would not.

The AxeFx doesn't have real-world imagery of amps either, yet somehow we manage without that. It doesn't have to look just like the real world to be usable; it may just take a little getting used to at first. (As they say, the only truly intuitive user interface is the nipple.)

The size of the dust cap varies from speaker to speaker, so it would not be correct for all IRs anyway.

Jensen C12R (tiny dust cap)
jensen-c12r-2974138.jpg

Electro-Voice EVM12L (huge dust cap):
f398a533-23c0-5a5f-8c59-1d244e02dd3b__29126.1673501826.jpg
This is a new low, now we are comparing nipple sizes…

My request is simple, reasonable and makes sense to anyone that has ever miked a cab. However, I do realize that some mike their cabs sideways.
Consider there is no vertical axis adjustment, so the graphic is all inclusive, no need for a face view. You get a full sweep across the diameter of the cone, and near/far mic placement.

How does it not just sound better than the original IR rather than just a copy of it?

Interesting that I was thinking of doing something similar but smoothing out the TM to get the macro EQ differences while avoiding potential phasy comb effects.

Are you smoothing the TM at all?
It sounds exactly like the original .
Then you can move the dynacab and obtain interesting results

The only thing that changed was the addition of the indicator.
What do you see on the input 1 Meter on the HOME>Meters page?
Sorry, been working non-stop here so i have not had the chance to check.
But if the indicator is new (missed that/sorry) that would be the answer.

But going down to 8-4% or lower seems that it is very sensitive.
It sounded fine on 50%, so is there a way to turn off the indicator?

Thanks for asking though :)

It takes up less space that way. More room for other stuff.

That's a different location for different speakers. Can't draw 'em all on the same plot. :)

If you knew exactly where the cap edge was, would have dialed in a different sound than the one you chose without that knowledge? If so... why? ;)
I would not have dialed in a different sound. It’s just a starting visual reference point. The ears come after. No one ever closed their eyes and miked a cab to start.

It does not matter I guess. I understand and appreciate that there is a whole bunch of players that will never own an amp or a cab. Anyways, I am really digging the Dyna Cabs and don’t want to side track the convo.

I wouldn't knock it till you try it........they sound awful good.....View attachment 118536
I have to reinstall, i think. I thought they sounded honky and bright. And i usually like bright.
I usually mix in the 1x8 cab and air, to open up the regular irs, to come closer to my real cabs in the same room.

Cornford 4x12-V30 /CAA 4x12-ET65 / Carvin Legacy 4x12-GB25 / Pinehome Custom 2x12-V30 (Mesa Lonestar size)

As i liked the dynacabs work flow a lot but couldn't get into the ballpark i'm after, i tried something ... And it kills !

Set the dynacab to the most approaching result you're after.
Tonematch the source you're after.
Now use the dynacab workflow with the tonematch applied :)
It gets you tons of different sounds in the ballpark in seconds !

I'll try to explain more if someone needs
Here is a video explaining it :
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/use-dynacab-workflow-on-any-ir-video.193405/

Last edited:
This is on-topic for this beta, or at least comments that have arisen regarding this beta.

I'm confused about the many input sensitivity comments. All my Gibsons are fitted with PAF humbucking pickups (eg. Bare Knuckle, Ox4, Lollar, vintage Gibson, etc.) By conventional standards, they would be considered rather hot (as measured by resistance, inductance, capacitance...)

Here's my dilemma: I'm not seeing any change whatsoever to the input settings. I'm at the normal 50%. So now I don't know if I am misunderstanding something, or if a few others of us are running guitars that are wildly over the top, or something altogether different. I don't consider me a Fractal operating meister by any means. My assumption is that I'm misunderstanding how to set my input sensitivity. Therefore, taking the time to post for beta advice.

This is on-topic for this beta, or at least comments that have arisen regarding this beta.

I'm confused about the many input sensitivity comments. All my Gibsons are fitted with PAF humbucking pickups (eg. Bare Knuckle, Ox4, Lollar, vintage Gibson, etc.) By conventional standards, they would be considered rather hot (as measured by resistance, inductance, capacitance...)

Here's my dilemma: I'm not seeing any change whatsoever to the input settings. I'm at the normal 50%. So now I don't know if I am misunderstanding something, or if a few others of us are running guitars that are wildly over the top, or something altogether different. I don't consider me a Fractal operating meister by any means. My assumption is that I'm misunderstanding how to set my input sensitivity. Therefore, taking the time to post for beta advice.
I think it's the same as it always was.....set it so you're tickling the red.......except now we have a warning message.....if you see that......turn it down.

I sometimes wonder if the reason why people are surprised by the SM57 as an IR, versus any experience with one in a FOH or studio experience, is due to the fact that most FOH and studio engineers tend to generously use board eq to fix or shape the sound, versus IR engineers tending to record the mics flat with no EQ
I always liked the sound I got live using a SM57 on my cab. It didn't sound harsh or too trebly as I remember.

Thinking of it : is it possible to plug an akai mpk mini (for example) directly in the axe and affect his joystick to the movement of the dot in dynacab?
Currently, Position and Distance have no modifiers. But if they had it, you could assign them to external controllers, and then at the Akai assign the X-Y of the joystick to these controllers (if the Akai allows that)

But don't these joysticks return to zero position when you release them?

I have the BKP Holy Divers which are hot as well as some others that are hot and med-hot pickups. I did not have to change my A/D sensitivity, either. I had them at 5% before and I have not had the clipping pop up. Just to see I took my hottest pickups and turned it up and was getting the error at 6%.

This just means you set your sensitivity correctly so that it would not clip when you set it up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom