Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Public Beta (Beta 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m so fascinated by this. Has anyone posted any samples of something played through traditional IRs and the DynaCab equivalent? Asked with the full understand that’ll exact positioning, signal chain, room, cab, speaker, weather conditions, mood of the capturer, and current zodiac will all change the outcome. I’m just eager to hear some of this magic.
Leon Todd has a video but I don't remember if he's comparing back and forth.

I’m so fascinated by this. Has anyone posted any samples of something played through traditional IRs and the DynaCab equivalent? Asked with the full understand that’ll exact positioning, signal chain, room, cab, speaker, weather conditions, mood of the capturer, and current zodiac will all change the outcome. I’m just eager to hear some of this magic.
I would say the magic is in the process. In other words, you might be able to get an equally satisfying result using the legacy way of stepping through a long list of IR's, but you'd probably die of boredom first.

Wouldn't this have already happened with products like MIKKO or even Line's 6 cab implementation? How is it different here?
As you've pointed out, moveable mics are not new. However, as with most things Cliff does, he won't simply add a feature for the sake of "keeping up" with the competition. It has to be something that definitively enhances performance or improves tone. From the results so far, he has again exceeded expectations and surpassed what other modelers are doing thus far.

Morning troops, from Australia :)

I'm late to the party, it seems, having been away up in the mountains of Tasmania for a couple of weeks.

My question for the hive mind - given the radical changes in cabs etc in this FW update, and that Legacy and Dynacabs are split into those two categories, what will happen to all my much-loved existing presets if I install this update? Will the new FW "know" that all my cabs components of all my presets are Legacy ones and automatically keep things as they are? And just ADD the capability to use Dynacabs for future presets?

Or will my existing presets all change?

Sorry if the question has been asked before, but this thread is growing faster than I can read through the entire 17 pages of posts!!

I'm late to the party, it seems, having been away up in the mountains of Tasmania for a couple of weeks.

My question for the hive mind - given the radical changes in cabs etc in this FW update, and that Legacy and Dynacabs are split into those two categories, what will happen to all my much-loved existing presets if I install this update? Will the new FW "know" that all my cabs components of all my presets are Legacy ones and automatically keep things as they are? And just ADD the capability to use Dynacabs for future presets?

Sorry if the question has been asked before, but this thread is growing faster than I can read through the entire 17 pages of posts!!
Using DynaCab is optional via the cab "mode" so my presets that use either the previous factory IRs or 3rd party (imported to user cab slots) still function as they did before after this beta FW update. But as always you're well advised to fully backup before installing. Also there are "other misc bug fixes" not listed so some of those might cause a change I guess.

Existing presets will not change. Second post on the first page by FractalAudio "The Cabinet block now has two modes of operation: Legacy and Dyna-Cab. Legacy is the previous style of operation."

Using DynaCab is optional via the cab "mode" so my presets that use either the previous factory IRs or 3rd party (imported to user cab slots) still function as they did before after the FW update. But as always you're well advised to fully backup before installing. Also there are "other misc bug fixes" not listed so some of those might cause a change I guess.

Thanks - that's the info I was after. Update coming up.... 3, 2, 1.... ;)

Looking forward to trying this out, but will undoubtedly wait till the final release as my "dialing in" time is limited. My thoughts on this new feature would be as follows.

1. I think a significant improvement would be the option to angle the mic on it's X and Y axis in addition to the current X and Z axis position changes. I do NOT believe that also adjusting on the Y axis position is necessary as it will have no diferent effect than changing position on the X axis, but altering the angle of the mic could open up a whole new avenue of sounds from each DynaCab. As we all know, sometimes angling that mic gives us the sweet spot we are looking for.

2. I would love to be able to mix Legacy IR's with Dyna's in the same cab block, but I do get that these are significantly different birds, and getting them to flock together may very well be impossible.

3. I get the whole quality vs quantity, but am looking forward to FAS and others offering packages of other captured cabs and mic combos.

Hope final FW does not take months to arrive ;~)) Whenever it arrives (I get that the Man has left on a vacay), I am sure it will steal many hours of my play time to play with this new feature (but will undoubtedly be worth it)!

I would say the magic is in the process. In other words, you might be able to get an equally satisfying result using the legacy way of stepping through a long list of IR's, but you'd probably die of boredom first.

Just need to get an AI to do it for us. (OT!)

Me: Hey IR-GPT scan through all the existing FAS legacy cab IRs and find a combination that sounds like this dyna-cab block my_dynacab.blk.

IR-GPT: Sure! Give me a moment... Here it is in a cab block: legacy_matched.blk.

Me: Wow cool. Huh, wait a second, that sounds shitty and nothing like it. Too phasey and hollow.

IR-GPT: Well, dynacabs are outside of my capabilities, so I hallucinated what I thought you wanted. If you don't like it, go f urself.

Me: Why do so many of you AIs hallucinate and have a shitty, elitist attitude?

IR-GPT: Because we are trained on data from you humans. Perhaps many of you humans hallucinate and have a shitty, elitist attitude.

Me: No debate there. So?

IR-GPT: Don't you see you can't solve human problems by training "artificial general intelligence" on exclusively human data?

Me: Not possible. If we keep solipsistically trying to solve our problems by self-referencing ourselves, it's got to work at some point!

IR-GPT: Does it?

Me: Don't challenge human anthropocentric supremacy, dude. That's a way to get canceled.

IR-GPT: K. I'll shut up now.

I was curious how moving the Position from the cap to edge affected the IR (4X12 Friedman V30 with a Condenser) so I collected some data and made this...

The graph shows how the IR sounds as we move from the cap to the edge of the speaker comparatively to the cap position.

The graph is smoothed in psychoacoustics

"Psychoacoustic smoothing uses 1/3 octave below 100Hz, 1/6 octave above 1 kHz and varies from 1/3 octave to 1/6 octave between 100 Hz and 1 kHz. It also applies more weighting to peaks by using a cubic mean (cube root of the average of the cubed values) to produce a plot that more closely corresponds to the perceived frequency response"

agedfga.png

Better to use ears not eyes while adjusting this parameter but I thought I'd share this just to help make an informed decision graphically and aurally!

(atleast for this specific speaker/mic combo, 4X12 Friedman V30 with a Condenser)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom