Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Public Beta (Beta 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i really love this update so far but man i have zero idea how to dial this beast in lol. ive been on IRs basically my whole adult life and any cab Micing ive watched dont really equate. tips would be amazing!

i really love this update so far but man i have zero idea how to dial this beast in lol. ive been on IRs basically my whole adult life and any cab Micing ive watched dont really equate. tips would be amazing!
Move it until it sounds good. 😂
That's basically it, but knowing what is happening when the microphone moves is the key.

The cone cap is the brightest-sounding part of the speaker, so when the microphone is directly in front of it there are more highs. Move toward the edge and you lose the brightness as you progress.

Cardioid microphones have more bass when they're next to the sound source; It's the proximity effect. You've probably noticed it if you sing into a SM57 because as you move close your voice has more bass. Moving the microphone away from the speaker also increases the ratio of the room's ambient reflections to the speaker's sound.

Combine both movements and you can adjust the brightness and the floor reflections for a more open sound.

The type of microphone also affects the sound. Condensers are crisp, dynamic (like the SM57 in the Dyna-Cab) are a standard and are somewhere in the middle, and ribbon, like the Royer 121 which I think is the "Ribbon" choice, are warmer. Mix them onto the same speaker and adjust their sounds so you like what you hear.

Read articles about shooting IRs or micing guitar speakers and you'll get a lot more detail.

Last edited:
It is far easier to dial in a good tone then I expected, thanks FAS! I don't think that I'm going to use 3rd party IRs anymore. The tone is both so clear amd gentle to the ears at the same time. I use the dynamic (0db) and the ribbon (-6db) close to the cab, and the condenser (-20db) at the max distance for some room feel. It is great!

I'd like to have a Bogner 4x12 in the final version. I like that cab coupled with Mesa Mark amps, great combination. The Recto cabs are great anyway, so no big deal.

I'd wish one small feature. Using the solution detailed in the post below, I'm using two identical amp blocks for gapless channel switching. Now I'm using two cab blocks to set the auto impedance feature for these two blocks. @FractalAudio, if there is two amp blocks and one cab block in the preset, is it possible to link the auto impedance of both amp blocks to Cab 1 only?

Post in thread 'Nektar Pacer....thoughts?' https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/nektar-pacer-thoughts.137439/post-2335950

The on board real time mic movement is awesome but there's something else special going on with any given DynaCab IR to my ear. I could move the mic around all day long in my outboard IR software but not arrive at some of the clear crisp tones I'm hearing with this. Maybe its from having the right IC automatically assigned now - dunno.

AMP 2 block and CAB 2 block Auto Dyna-Cab Impedance behaviour question:

All is working as expected with Auto Dyna-Cap Impedance....until I try to use Amp 2 or Cab 2.

When using Amp 1 and Cab 1, I can see/hear in the Amp/Speaker page that impedance curves and parameter values update as I change Dyna-Cab speakers in cab slot one on Cab 1. As advertised.

As soon as I either replace Amp 1 with Amp 2, or add Amp 2 on another row I cannot see/hear any AMP 2 impedance curve updates based on Cab 1 slot 1 Dyna-Cab speaker selection (or Cab 2 if present). Both Amps have Auto Dyna-Cab Imp. set to on. Amp 1 continues to work as normal, however it will not respond to Cab 2 Dyna-Cab speaker selections.

AMP 2 impedance curves do not respond to Dyna Cab speaker selections at all. Either with Cab 1 or Cab 2.

So, it seems that this Auto Dyna-Cab Impedance relationship only works between Amp 1 and Cab 1 at this iteration.

Is this correct?

Anyone else seeing this?

I ask because I have many presets that use 2 Amp blocks going through the same or different Cab blocks.

Cheers

Last edited:
I already posted this to another thread but: the legacy cab workflow suddenly feels so impractical now. The only reason to not use Dyna-Cab for me would be because there is not one for a particular speaker or mic I’d want to use.

Has the lack of being able to move the mic vertically been discussed already? Did you not hear enough difference for it to be worth doing or is this more like a design compromise? Did not mean this as criticism, just curious because some IR vendors say that vertical position of the mic matters as well.

Cliff. I can’t even start to explain how much fun I’m having with this update!

I’ve owned many cabs and worked with countless others in studios and on stage.
I’ve always known what cab I should be using for the sound I’m going for.

I’ve struggled with IRs since standard days. I could always get close but never quite there. Every IR I’ve ever used always had something that didn’t sit quite right in my ear and I always ended up futzing with other stuff to compensate.

These dyna cabs are the real deal. Grab a recto cab, play it in context with the song. Need more body? Move the mic in. Less? Move out. More definition? Closer to cone. Less and more squish? Move towards edge.

First time since 2008 I’ve truly been happy with sound and feel in context with a song.

I’m thrilled beyond belief and I’ve got blisters on me fingers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom