Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Public Beta (Beta 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
have you ever plugged yourself in a tube amp in a room?
All the time - just a basement hacker but I've put in a solid effort to appreciate AITR having some 112V30s here, a 212C90, a 112VType. Have had a Marshall 412 down here - Tube heads/combos up the ying yang (still keep 2), but at the end of the day, the sounds in my head are mic'd cab sounds and always were, as opposed to AITR where I struggle with harshness, directionality and limited response range of any one cab. Despite this, every once in a while I break out my few specific AITR sounds I've managed to dial in and enjoy those also. Also have some FR Cabs which are a great in between option. Point is: one
is not better or worse, just different and a personal preference depending on your background and / or exposure.

All the time - just a basement hacker but I've put in a solid effort to appreciate AITR having some 112V30s here, a 212C90, a 112VType. Have had a Marshall 412 down here - Tube heads/combos up the ying yang (still keep 2), but at the end of the day, the sounds in my head are mic'd cab sounds and always were, as opposed to AITR where I struggle with harshness, directionality and limited response range of any one cab. Despite this, every once in a while I break out my few specific AITR sounds I've managed to dial in and enjoy those also. Also have some FR Cabs which are a great in between option. Point is: one
is not better or worse, just different and a personal preference depending on your background and / or exposure.
Sure, but if so many people use the axe with a power amp (not me) it may have a little something somewhere in the global feel you don’t think so? Why do they “all” do that?

As I previously said, for gig and recording, the axe does the job equally if not better concerning the size/ weight when you don’t want to bring your mess.

But when I only play guitar for myself, for the pleasure, I still like to power up my amp and use the axe for 2/3 effects On it. Don’t know, it never disappoint, always sound good, don’t tweak it at all… you don’t have this “it sound good today, and sound bad when you wake up the other day”

you don’t have this “it sound good today, and sound bad when you wake up the other day”
Sorry, but my tube amp experience is exactly that!

Some days it's amazing, others not so much.

Temperature, humidity, power, etc can all have an effect on the analog... The Axe Fx is definitely more consistent from day to day.

As far as amp in the room, I have never in my life chased a tone from the amp in room of my favorite players. Always from a recording...

And as I've said before in other threads, you are never hearing the amp in the room that the guitarist playing it is hearing - you'd need to be standing in the exact spot that they are ;)

When I crank my Axe FX III MkII Turbo or my FM9 into my Laney LFR-212 and a JBL EON715 at almost full tilt on both, I get all the amp in the room feel I need ... Uncle Fletcher-Munson just pops right in the room and the neighbor's walls rattle and hum.

I've got quality recordings for years on both off the board to HQ audio digital cameras. I have NEVER been able to dial so many different and usable tones until now! I've owned some really nice amps and pedals and I'm 55 and started playing in 2nd grade.

If the next generation Fractals dethrone what I'm getting for tones right now, it would be really scary!

Rock on!

Can't help but rebutt this. The mic'd cab sound is preferred by many (ie me), and can be argued to be just as "real" as AITR since it represents the format of much of the music many of us have ever heard in our lives: recorded music. It's all real, it's all good.
I have to gig with in ears, i don’t have the choice, I hate that, I do really hate that, I hate those piercing flat highs.
I always have to put more body to the tone to not have the feeling of playing through a 2 inches speaker.
Irs are great but they are still not close as an isolated recorded guitar track.
It still lacks depth, still not as 3D as a single recorded take. It’s close but still flat to my ears.

As I’m new to fractal, I have to say I’m really blown away by the tones, but i still miss something (maybe fullres but I’m on the fm3 so)

And as I’m tweaking the tones for this year tour, I watch and read a lot about how to tweak the fractal.
2 days ago I watched a video of cooper Carter explaining his gig preset. And man when he played his Friedman scene, there was a lot of bass. So I think I depends on each player choice.

I decided to put more body and bass to my presets and let our foh guy do his job.

Wish: static room irs of each dynacab… the full length irs would be super cool to use as ambience. (The latest long ir file type, can’t remember what they are called)

So the idea is use one cab block for the Dyna-Cab, then use a second cab block or IR player for the ambience.

I'm telling ya, within a year every bot/AI response to a query about guitar tone is going to parrot the "use your ears" line
I've been playing guitar for yonks.
Years and years standing in front of Super Reverbs, Bassmans, Twin Reverbs, my YBA-1 Traynor in Canada because I could, and Marshall Plexis.

I can barely hear the TV, let alone subtle frequencies.

The day this forum is replaced by a bot/AI, is the day I start shouting at my computer, the same way I do my phone when an automated system answers the customer support line (especially the ones with the fake keyboard typing).

Thank god this forum offers real advice, especially accompanying the frequent and brilliant upgrades.

Sorry, but my tube amp experience is exactly that!

Some days it's amazing, others not so much.

Temperature, humidity, power, etc can all have an effect on the analog... The Axe Fx is definitely more consistent from day to day.

As far as amp in the room, I have never in my life chased a tone from the amp in room of my favorite players. Always from a recording...

And as I've said before in other threads, you are never hearing the amp in the room that the guitarist playing it is hearing - you'd need to be standing in the exact spot that they are ;)
Guitar tones on recordings are stripped down and EQ'ed like hell to fit the mix though. Isolated guitar tracks from albums don't always sound very good.

Can't help but rebutt this. The mic'd cab sound is preferred by many (ie me), and can be argued to be just as "real" as AITR since it represents the format of much of the music many of us have ever heard in our lives: recorded music. It's all real, it's all good.
Yep. All my favorite tones are on albums, recorded by a mic, put in a mix. I love Fractal because I now get those tones, every time I play. Every tube amp I ever tried I was disappointed, could never turn the knobs to get that polished sound. Was always chasing it...

The thing about recorded tones vs AITR to take into account is presentation. 2dB on a fader turns an exact same guitar sound from fizzy garbage to godlike tone. Those recorded guitar tones might not sound so good once you hear them solo, and forget about before the mix engineer did whatever he did.

Best thing you can do is take your fractal and go have fun. Some of the BEST tones in guitar music are pretty mediocre. When you apply them to hit songs, thats the magic. Leave all the tone chasing to balding dadbod types with golden ears and SSL consoles. Trust me, they’ll make it sound amazing.

I have to gig with in ears, i don’t have the choice, I hate that, I do really hate that, I hate those piercing flat highs.
I always have to put more body to the tone to not have the feeling of playing through a 2 inches speaker.
Irs are great but they are still not close as an isolated recorded guitar track.
It still lacks depth, still not as 3D as a single recorded take. It’s close but still flat to my ears.

As I’m new to fractal, I have to say I’m really blown away by the tones, but i still miss something (maybe fullres but I’m on the fm3 so)

And as I’m tweaking the tones for this year tour, I watch and read a lot about how to tweak the fractal.
2 days ago I watched a video of cooper Carter explaining his gig preset. And man when he played his Friedman scene, there was a lot of bass. So I think I depends on each player choice.

I decided to put more body and bass to my presets and let our foh guy do his job.
Not liking IEMs is not about IRs - you'd almost certainly have the same experience with a mic'd speaker as there's very little difference (as has been shown in blind tests).

You really just don't like IEMs... I totally feel you there. I appreciate the benefits but they are definitely not my first choice preference.

You can add reverb and EQ to help, though.

Possible bug? Played at my church this morning with the new Beta (didn't use DynaCabs). When I got back home I plugged everything back in, SPDIF from the Axe III to my MiniDSP and proceeded to get a signal that was drenched in digital clipping. Rebooting twice fixed it.

True but my guess would be FAS is using as neutral a preamp as possible (or correcting for one that isn't).

The CAB block has preamp modeling in it to add unique preamp character, including dynamic nonlinear effects like overdrive/saturation which an IR can't do.
I think you're right. I've tried the preamp model a few times and I don't really dig it but to each their own.

Way late - like 42 pages late - but I finally got a chance to try the DynaCabs out at gig level - wow! Updated my main preset with them and compared the two and it really is great - can't wait till the final version hits to see what improvements were made from this beta! Nice job to everyone at FAS!

If your in ears are piercing, you need to get different in ears. I play with in ears as well and have FOH mix, plus ambient mic, in them, as I want to hear all instruments, drums and vocals. My final mix is like listening to a CD, with good balanced bass and treble.

Put a high and low cut on your InEar mixbus in the mixer to avoid ear fatigue like Leon showed in his live rig rundown!

I learned years ago that my ears hear treble differently day to day and as a result, if I notice something is really off from the previous time I’ve turned a rig on, it’s not the rig, just my ears. It‘s no different for me whether it’s a tube amp or an AxeFX or a mix I’m working on in a DAW. If I let it bother me I’d spend more time tweaking than playing, just to tweak back a day or so later, so I just don’t tweak.

If your in ears are piercing, you need to get different in ears. I play with in ears as well and have FOH mix, plus ambient mic, in them, as I want to hear all instruments, drums and vocals. My final mix is like listening to a CD, with good balanced bass and treble.
I can set my own in ear mix, but we don’t have ambient mic, that’s maybe what’s missing too.
Wich in ear do you use or suggest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom