Axe-Fx III Firmware 1.19 Public Beta

Huston, we have a problem,
I use a pitch down tune up to 4 steps.
It was working ok with 1.18.
If I now set the tracking to "0"' there is a "pop" sound in the background.
If set tracking to aprox' 5 (00:16s), it goes E to D to E like it can make up noise, mined.
Block and sound clip attached.
What am I missing...?

Attachments

• Down tune -1 -4_20181028_213504.blk
    1.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 1.19b.zip
    922.5 KB · Views: 13
Definitely an improvement on the pitch block. I hope it continues still not there in my opinion but getting there..I pretty much compare it to my eventide H8000.

Do you have to reset the Pitch block after applying the firmware? I'm always a little confused about how to make sure I'm getting the 'lastest and greatest' after firmware updates.

Do you have to reset the Pitch block after applying the firmware? I'm always a little confused about how to make sure I'm getting the 'lastest and greatest' after firmware updates.
FWIW; I have a dual shift block I had saved in my library. It sounded funky when I loaded up a scene with it engage. I reset the block and dialed the same settings back in and it was fine. There was an odd sort of delay happening? Or I was just temporarily nuts.

What other weird things are occurring?

I had an issue using the beta yesterday, where I was working on a preset via Axe Edit and noticed that my output 3 LEDs were maxed out. I believe it was after I had copied an @austinbuddy preset for a Marshall type sound, and I was customizing it for a RHCP song (Dani California). From memory it happened at the point that I was deleting all the blocks I didn't need from the Austin Buddy preset (which I think contained an Output 3 block). When I noticed output 3 maxed I think I saved the current preset, then changed presets a couple of times to try and clear the issue, and ended up with I believe Output 2, 3 and 4 LEDs all maxed, with some big pops happening on Output 1 each time I changed presets. I power cycled the Axe-Fx, and all came back to normal. I continued customizing that initial preset and didn't experience the behavior again.

I've followed this exact same procedure a number of times for different presets/songs on older firmware, and this is the first time I've seen this behavior, which makes me think it might somehow be related to the beta, so I figured I should write it up.

Apologies - I know that doesn't give you a lot to go on - I'll keep an eye on it and will try and give more detail if it happens again.

Last edited:
I had an issue using the beta yesterday, where I was working on a preset via Axe Edit and noticed that my output 3 LEDs were maxed out. I believe it was after I had copied an Austin Buddy preset for a Marshall type sound, and I was customizing it for a RHCP song (Dani California). From memory it happened at the point that I was deleting all the blocks I didn't need from the Austin Buddy preset (which I think contained an Output 3 block). When I noticed output 3 maxed I think I changed scenes a couple of times and ended up with I think Output 2, 3 and 4 LEDs all maxed, with some big pops happening each time I changed scenes. I saved the preset via Axe Edit, then power cycled the Axe-Fx, and all came back to normal with that same preset. I continued customizing and didn't experience the behavior again.

Apologies - I know that doesn't give you a lot to go on - I'll keep an eye on it and will try and give more detail if it happens again.
this feels more like a "worked too fast in Axe-Edit" thing, where communication had been lost.

good to share, thanks, but might not be a "bug" per se.

this feels more like a "worked too fast in Axe-Edit" thing, where communication had been lost.

good to share, thanks, but might not be a "bug" per se.

It's a bug somewhere in the stack. The fact that it may be harmless is independent of that.

I'm getting what sounds like a 20-30 ms delay when I drop a half-step.
Sounds about right. To do polyphonic pitch shifting well you need around 50 ms of history. So nominally the delay will be half that, 25 ms.

If you set the detector to Mono the latency will be less but it won't track chords, especially complex ones, as well due to lack of correlation in the history buffer.

Definitely an improvement on the pitch block. I hope it continues still not there in my opinion but getting there..I pretty much compare it to my eventide H8000.
Interesting because one of the products I used in my comparison was an Eventide Eclipse. The Axe-Fx stability and tracking was superior. Perhaps the H8000 has better algorithms than the Eclipse. From what I've been told, though, the algorithms are identical. The Eclipse has a more colored tone though. This is due to an aggressive lowpass filter on the input to the pitch shifter. The Axe-Fx uses less aggressive filtering. For upward pitch shifts this aggressive filtering produces a bell-like quality that might be considered desirable by some, I suppose, but I find it too colored sounding.

I had an issue using the beta yesterday, where I was working on a preset via Axe Edit and noticed that my output 3 LEDs were maxed out. I believe it was after I had copied an @austinbuddy preset for a Marshall type sound, and I was customizing it for a RHCP song (Dani California). From memory it happened at the point that I was deleting all the blocks I didn't need from the Austin Buddy preset (which I think contained an Output 3 block). When I noticed output 3 maxed I think I saved the current preset, then changed presets a couple of times to try and clear the issue, and ended up with I believe Output 2, 3 and 4 LEDs all maxed, with some big pops happening on Output 1 each time I changed presets. I power cycled the Axe-Fx, and all came back to normal. I continued customizing that initial preset and didn't experience the behavior again.

I've followed this exact same procedure a number of times for different presets/songs on older firmware, and this is the first time I've seen this behavior, which makes me think it might somehow be related to the beta, so I figured I should write it up.

Had exactly the same this morning. No foot controller or editor connected. Changed to output 2 and things were normal (no buzz from output even with zero out volume on the AXE-FX or pops when changing presets).
Changed back to Out 1, and things were normal again. strange... will keep an eye out in order to log the process somewhat better if happens again

Back
Top Bottom