Axe-Fx III Firmware 1.19 Public Beta

Using the pitch shifter to drop tune seems far more usable now. Almost can't feel the latency.
confirmed.

The sound is slightly modified though (even when turning the hicut to 20 KHz), but i guess it's expected when you use a -2 downshifting, as of course less trebles are produced

Thank you Cliff & team!
I've recently bought an AX8 for portability at the rehearsals and gigs (taxi ride), but I wish I could play this beast loud.

Any chance for a formant shifter coming along with that?
No. For all those clamoring for the "formant shifter" have you used the one in the competing product? I'm not saying it's useless but I can't find any use for it. It only works with single notes. If you play a chord it's a garbled mess. And even single notes don't sound convincing and it adds even more latency. The whole point of drop tuning is to play songs in a lower key. If you can't play chords with the formant shifting on then what's the point?

To do formant shifting/correction right requires more advanced pitch shifting techniques which simply incur too much latency. That type of thing is best reserved for plug-in applications. To do it right you need to analyze large sections of data, find the transients, silence, add pitch markers, etc. All this requires a lot of history.

I have three competing products here. I've tested the latest pitch shifter against all of them. The Axe-Fx III is more stable (less warble in complex chords), has lower latency and tracks single notes better than any of them.

Last edited:
No. For all those clamoring for the "formant shifter" have you used the one in the competing product? I'm not saying it's useless but I can't find any use for it. It only works with single notes. If you play a chord it's a garbled mess. And even single notes don't sound convincing and it adds even more latency. The whole point of drop tuning is to play songs in a lower key. If you can't play chords with the formant shifting on then what's the point?

To do formant shifting/correction right requires more advanced pitch shifting techniques which simply incur too much latency. That type of thing is best reserved for plug-in applications. To do it right you need to analyze large sections of data, find the transients, silence, add pitch markers, etc. All this requires a lot of history.

I have three competing products here. I've tested the latest pitch shifter against all of them. The Axe-Fx III is more stable (less warble in complex chords), has lower latency and track single notes better than any of them.
Nope, I've never used the one on the K, I've just heard a few convincing samples of that.
I've used a VST plugin with success even though when using it real-time it adds a lot of latency, but I thought it was just an issue of the plugin.
If you say it's not worth it I trust you ;)

I have three competing products here. I've tested the latest pitch shifter against all of them. The Axe-Fx III is more stable (less warble in complex chords), has lower latency and track single notes better than any of them.

Very cool so that preset you posted that you can use for your Drop zone type pedal in front of amp.correct ?

I haven't tried the others versions of down tuning, but the new pitch sounds awesome!

Hopefully that polyphonic thing is on the back burner...….

Back
Top Bottom