Axe-Fx III Factory Presets Release 19.04

Leo or Jim never wrote me instructions, how to set my amps. When I bought my first guitar (a Fender Telecaster, mail order, from Sam Ash in NYC) the salesman talked me into an Electro Harmonix Big Muff (a ram’s head - $32 - ain’t history awesome). Again, I had to decide what sounded great and what sounded awful.

Later on, when pedalboards became popular, every time I wanted to add something or change the order, it was a hellacious bunch of work.

Fractal has the Axe FX models of all kinds of gear sounding like the real thing. It’s so easy to order things and cable them up. In spite of this, they keep improving and adding models.

I’m just speaking for me - I don’t need new presets. At this point, I’m treating blocks as if they are real.

Given that redoing the presets is an INSANELY time consuming effort, wouldn't it be reasonable to off-load that to the community?

We could either have credible people redo those and then simply be reviewed quickly by FAS or just throw them out and create new factory presets out of say community made presets that already exist. F.e. the burgs ones are more than round in every aspect.

Just a thought, maybe it was discussed before and I missed that.

Given that redoing the presets is an INSANELY time consuming effort, wouldn't it be reasonable to off-load that to the community?

We could either have credible people redo those and then simply be reviewed quickly by FAS or just throw them out and create new factory presets out of say community made presets that already exist. F.e. the burgs ones are more than round in every aspect.

Everyone is free to post their presents on AxeChange, and to browse there for whatever they're looking for.

Moving to a curated best-of collection is, um, tricky as a public group project.

Everyone is free to post their presents on AxeChange, and to browse there for whatever they're looking for.

Well I wasn't proposing that as "for everyone", but for newer users to have an updated start with.

However another point would be that for some going through like so many presets in the Axe-Change would be too time consuming.

It is already, sort of that way... Both Fractal and some beta team members do it.

However much work is involved, I'm not sure it makes sense for Fractal to open the factory presets to the community.

That being said, the presets are there and there is nothing preventing the community at large from creating/maintaining an "open source" version of the factory banks.

That’s a « long » process and it is not so long at the same time : The presets are already done.

You « just » have to check the levels of all the scenes and if they sound good for the maker or not, if updates have changed the way the maker wanted them to sound. It takes time yes, sure, but it is important as it is what a customer listen to first while trying it or…

Factory presets as always been the worst you can do in all the others products since forever : Boss, digitech, Korg … line 6… so that’s cool to make a difference and propose good sounding examples out of the box.but if they don’t do it they have a reason don’t know …

Last edited:
I believe the obvious choices for the factory presets update would be 1) Dyna-cabs, 2) Cygnus X-3, and 3) Some new amps, new effects, and 'various other improvements'. While it would be a significant amount of work, and would be welcome I'm sure by everyone.. we shall see. Knowing this company, my 'guess' is eventually they will. But, IMO we have really everything and more at our disposal... and while looking to cop someone else's tone exactly, or using someone else's preset is cool (I guess.. I don't) in the end, electric guitar, more than any other instrument comes down to YOUR sound. The tools are there, all in one box. Chose a guitar, chose / make a preset... play the damn thing... the 'sound' (tone) mainly comes from you, and that's part of YOUR sound.
I'm all for the update.. but we can all carry on without it too.

Why do the out-of-the-box presets exist in the first place? If we unpack that question, it leads to an important point about why updates make sense in the first place. They're not just random sounds, they're like a roadmap for users to show the art of the possible with the Axe FX 3. So, if the product evolves, shouldn't those presets evolve too? Yes.

Then it just becomes a question about update frequency and I'm inclined to trust Fractal Audio's judgment. Their consistent and frequent updates and incredibly active participation on the forum is S-tier, platinum, ultra-amazing. I've never bought a product from a company so dedicated to keeping their product top-notch and engaging with their community. Hands down the Axe FX 3 is the best investment in gear I've ever made and nothing is even close because of that, so that's where my trust comes from.

To your point, which is very good....I spent all day yesterday making my own custom preset; I could tinker forever with the Axe FX! I don't use the stock presets to jam, only for reference. At the same time I think it's in-bounds to ask for stock preset updates because if the documentation gets a facelift, why not the presets too? As a software dev, it's kinda like updating code examples when the docs & SDK changes - you write your own code for sure, but examples are good heuristics to do that. Maybe not a perfect analogy but hopefully you get my drift.

Why do the out-of-the-box presets exist in the first place? If we unpack that question, it leads to an important point about why updates make sense in the first place. They're not just random sounds, they're like a roadmap for users to show the art of the possible with the Axe FX 3. So, if the product evolves, shouldn't those presets evolve too? Yes.

Then it just becomes a question about update frequency and I'm inclined to trust Fractal Audio's judgment. Their consistent and frequent updates and incredibly active participation on the forum is S-tier, platinum, ultra-amazing. I've never bought a product from a company so dedicated to keeping their product top-notch and engaging with their community. Hands down the Axe FX 3 is the best investment in gear I've ever made and nothing is even close because of that, so that's where my trust comes from.

To your point, which is very good....I spent all day yesterday making my own custom preset; I could tinker forever with the Axe FX! I don't use the stock presets to jam, only for reference. At the same time I think it's in-bounds to ask for stock preset updates because if the documentation gets a facelift, why not the presets too? As a software dev, it's kinda like updating code examples when the docs & SDK changes - you write your own code for sure, but examples are good heuristics to do that. Maybe not a perfect analogy but hopefully you get my drift.
Yes, I totally understand. The ‘reference’ part, I (think) most users will look at with factory presets is 1) the basic tone (amp, settings, cab) and 2) how the effects are used to get that sound.
With the amp/cab part, users will likely adjust them to suit their taste.. guitar, playback system, and personal preference.
With the effects, the only thing that will change from the old presets and now is whatever improvements were made since then, and new effects that may have been added.
So, it’s likely mostly in the fine tuning of the amp/cab blocks… which most everyone does to suit their preference. But I’m all for the factory presets update. That’s up to FAS. My guess is they’ll do it eventually.

I think if the 19.04 presets absolutely sucked then all of this “update” discussion might hold some small amount of water.

They don’t. As a group, they are usable as-is and do a great job of both providing a starting point AND showing what the hardware is capable of.

I’m new and I have only one minor issue. When switching between presets, because it is where I have started, sometimes one can be much louder than another. No biggie it’s like flipping the switch on my amp or stepping on a pedal when you have a rug rat or toddler roaming around. You’re bound to be surprised if you don’t check the knobs and switches first. Even this models a real amp. That is some serious attention to detail!

I’m new and I have only one minor issue. When switching between presets, because it is where I have started, sometimes one can be much louder than another. No biggie it’s like flipping the switch on my amp or stepping on a pedal when you have a rug rat or toddler roaming around. You’re bound to be surprised if you don’t check the knobs and switches first. Even this models a real amp. That is some serious attention to detail!
Chapter 7 of the manual provides info on how to level presets. Hope this helps.

Chapter 7 of the manual provides info on how to level presets. Hope this helps.
Yep I have been, just saying it’s very much like hardware amps and pedals when my kid was little. If I didn’t keep and eye out I would fire up a tube amp only to hit a note and find the knobs all over the place, same with any pedal I had left out. This just seems more real life. I have to check a level or setting before turning up or playing no biggie.

Last edited:
… if the product evolves, shouldn't those presets evolve too?
Sure, the presets can evolve. However, they are not owed. We are not charged for the modeling improvements.

Fractal Audio seems to do their absolute best, to utilize the capabilities of the hardware, as the modeling firmware is improved. At some (technical) point, the required improvements surpass the capabilities of the hardware. When that happens, everyone in the community decides with their wallet, if they want to continue to ride the wave.

From my perspective (and it’s only my opinion), the presets are suggestions of how to organize my system. When the individual block models are improved or expanded, the presets are still valid. They may require leveling, EQ, etc, but in the real world that’s just turning knobs.

Please don’t get me wrong. I’m not admonishing. It’s a forum, so I’m only stating my opinion. I own amps from the mid-1950’s until the early 1980’s. I bought a few more from Marshall and Dr Z in the late 1990’s through the early 2000’s. I was buying pedals from the late 1960’s until the mid 2010’s. I did’t expect any of these amp or pedal guys to rebalance their component values to suit me. I figure that if they made an effort, then I can make an effort as well.

Sure, the presets can evolve. However, they are not owed. We are not charged for the modeling improvements.

Fractal Audio seems to do their absolute best, to utilize the capabilities of the hardware, as the modeling firmware is improved. At some (technical) point, the required improvements surpass the capabilities of the hardware. When that happens, everyone in the community decides with their wallet, if they want to continue to ride the wave.

From my perspective (and it’s only my opinion), the presets are suggestions of how to organize my system. When the individual block models are improved or expanded, the presets are still valid. They may require leveling, EQ, etc, but in the real world that’s just turning knobs.

Please don’t get me wrong. I’m not admonishing. It’s a forum, so I’m only stating my opinion. I own amps from the mid-1950’s until the early 1980’s. I bought a few more from Marshall and Dr Z in the late 1990’s through the early 2000’s. I was buying pedals from the late 1960’s until the mid 2010’s. I did’t expect any of these amp or pedal guys to rebalance their component values to suit me. I figure that if they made an effort, then I can make an effort as well.

Sure. I like how you picked out one partial statement of the entire post I made and then hammered into it. Did you also see the part where I said, “Then it just becomes a question about update frequency and I'm inclined to trust Fractal Audio's judgment. Their consistent and frequent updates and incredibly active participation on the forum is S-tier, platinum, ultra-amazing.”

I was only answering the one part. I meant no disrespect. Did you consider what I said as “hammering”? That’s curious. I’m Sicilian. I have a completely different definition of hammering, lol.

Seriously, sorry if I offended you. Not my intention.

Sure. I like how you picked out one partial statement of the entire post I made and then hammered into it. Did you also see the part where I said, “Then it just becomes a question about update frequency and I'm inclined to trust Fractal Audio's judgment. Their consistent and frequent updates and incredibly active participation on the forum is S-tier, platinum, ultra-amazing.”
I like your descriptors.

I was only answering the one part. I meant no disrespect. Did you consider what I said as “hammering”? That’s curious. I’m Sicilian. I have a completely different definition of hammering, lol.

Seriously, sorry if I offended you. Not my intention.
Kind of tuff to distinguish such on an open forum. So many of us from all around the world it is easy to be misinterpreted. I didn’t take your post as hammering but I know some people who might. We live we learn. We just need to realize we all come from different places and what is casual conversation for some is down right fighting words for others. I’m in Sotuh Dakota but am in agreement on your position as far as presets. Twist some knobs learn from the presets that’s what there their for. I have been treating the fx3 just like and amp or pedal and adjust as needed just like I would if I had it as an amp or pedal. For me that seems the easiest.

Back
Top Bottom