Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 5 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd reload FW 14, and restore your presets and system configurations to get back to normal. If everything is OK, I'd step to FW 15.1 and do a full backup. Then I'd step to Cygnus.

You will have the option to restore to any of the previous firmware versions at that point. The step from 14+ to 15.1 to Cygnus has been straightforward on my AF3 with no loses but there might be something incompatible in a direct jump.

You might even want to do a system reset prior to loading 15.1 just in case there's something wonky, then reload the system and controllers backup file and move forward. As long as you have the backup files you haven't lost your configuration. If it's a bug then Fractal will be able to fix the problem with your help.
Thank you so very much. I figured I’d have to take the steps backwards ... Hoping maybe there is a quick layout work around.

👍🙏

In the latest beta double clicking the presence knob in Axe Edit always sets presence to zero. All other knobs go to their default value for that amp when double clicked. Resetting the amp block puts the presence in the right location, but double clicking sets it to zero.
Let me know if I’m just seeing this wrong and it’s expected behavior.

thanks

In the latest beta double clicking the presence knob in Axe Edit always sets presence to zero. All other knobs go to their default value for that amp when double clicked. Resetting the amp block puts the presence in the right location, but double clicking sets it to zero.
Let me know if I’m just seeing this wrong and it’s expected behavior.

thanks
Unless I'm mistaken, it's always functioned that way.

All the models have been updated to some degree. To make the list a model needs to be fully updated which means I go through all the parameters one-by-one. Then I compare the model to the reference amp. Sometimes there are only minor or no changes, sometimes there are more substantial changes.

Our reference amp for the Silver Jubilee is actually not a Silver Jubilee. It's a Lerxst Omega that Alex Lifeson gave me.
So, I’m curious why you ended up basing the Jubilee on that. Is the Alexst Omega the same as the Jubilee or real code to it? Just curious because I know the Jubilee came out way before it. The Jubilee was in the 80’s where Alex’s amps were not that long ago.

Whoa nelly, that Angle Severe 2 is a beast. That checked the brutal box for me. Hadn’t got around to playing it before this firmware.

I see why others here have referenced it as a go-to high gain tone.

I feel consistency should matter. If other knobs behave as they do on the real amp then MV should as well
I'm one for idealized controls. Now I appreciate the 'That's how it works on the real amp', but if you can have something better, more improved and logical, why not go that route?

The axe is a modern day device, which can do the vintage modeling thing yes, but offers so many improvements over the terrible designs, cheap components and bad engineering decisions of the past, which were okay in the 60's, but if we can improve on things in 2021, why not do so?

I'm one for idealized controls. Now I appreciate the 'That's how it works on the real amp', but if you can have something better, more improved and logical, why not go that route?

The axe is a modern day device, which can do the vintage modeling thing yes, but offers so many improvements over the terrible designs, cheap components and bad engineering decisions of the past, which were okay in the 60's, but if we can improve on things in 2021, why not do so?
Because switching the MV to an idealized version negates the ability to use all the info out there about setting up the real amps to one's advantage. If they function like the real amps, then we have all the info about the real amps at our fingertips in a 1:1 state. If things get idealized then we have the info specifically about the AFX models and we then have to figure out how anything about the real amps would relate to those models.

Is anyone else getting a bit of a "blanket over the amp" quality to some models? I'm noticing it on the Archean, HBE, and Herbie specifically, and I'm not sure why. I refreshed after the update, and I've also tried doing the "switch the amp and switch it back" thing.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downlo...xe-fx-3/16p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_16p00_beta5.zip

IMPORTANT - READ ME - DON'T IGNORE - LISTEN UP CHUCKLEHEADS

1. This is BETA firmware. It is not guaranteed to be flawless and bug-free.
2. It WILL change the sound of your presets.
3. The volume levels of your presets WILL likely change.
4. Not every amp model has been updated yet. Some amp models may sound completely wrong. If an amp model is not listed below there is a possibility it won't sound right.
5. There may be issues with Axe-Edit not working correctly for some amp models.
6. You need to perform a "Refresh After FW Update" if using Axe-Edit.
7. An updated Axe-Edit for use with this firmware can be found here:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-edit-iii-1-08-09-supports-fw-16-00-public-beta-5.170905/

IF YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO ACCEPT THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS THEN YOU SHOULD NOT INSTALL THIS FIRMWARE.

The following amp models have been updated and verified against the real amps:
'59 Bassman
'65 Bassman
Band-Master
Blues Jr.
Deluxe 5E3
Deluxe Reverb
Twin Reverb BF
Princeton
Princeton Reverb
Super Amp 6G4
Tweed 5F8-A
Vibrolux
Vibroverb
AC20 DLX
Plexi 50W
Plexi 100W
1987x
1959SLP
JCM800
JCM800 #34
Brit Super
Brit 800 Mod
Brit Brown
AFD100
JVM410
CAE 3+
X88
X99
SLO 100
Mark IIC+
Mark IV
Triaxis
Recto2
6505+
5150 III
Orange AD30
Tiny Terror
Carol-Ann Triptik
Carol-Ann Tucana
Cornford MK50
Swart Atomic Space Tone
Komet Concorde
Komet 60
FAS Brootalz
Diezel Herbert
Friedman Smallbox
Friedman BE/HBE
Dirty Shirley
Cameron CCV
Cameron Atomica
Dumble ODS-100
Ruby Rocket
Trainwreck Express
Trainwreck Liverpool
Trainwreck Rocket
Badger 18
Badger 30
PRS Archon
Bogner Ecstasy
Bogner Fish
Bogner Uberschall
Dr. Z Maz-38
AC-30
Hot Cat
Engl Savage
FAS Express
FAS Skull Crusher

The following models have been updated but NOT verified yet:
JTM45
Carol-Ann OD2
Bogner Shiva
Super Reverb
Diezel VH4 Blue
AC-15 TB
Matchless Chieftain
Matchless DC-30
Tremolux
Mesa JP2C
JMP-1
Yea I know I'm just an ungrateful whiner, .. whine, whine, whine, nag, nag, nag but still no Gibson scout (I'd love others like a GA-19 RVT Falcon and GA 30 but you never had them anyway)

So my overall volume is definitely lower after this update and I read that it would change in the notes. Is using the amp block level the best parameter to address this? It was set at -20 before and my output level meter was right where it should be. I’m having to set it at +2 now to get the same results. Seems drastic to me.
@bishop5150 - Hey Todd - I downloaded your new 1984 preset on the latest beta and on my setup the level was way too hot and over the red. I had to move the Amp Level down to about -12 to get it where it needed to be. Just my experience with it - hope it helps!

@bishop5150 - Hey Todd - I downloaded your new 1984 preset on the latest beta and on my setup the level was way too hot and over the red. I had to move the Amp Level down to about -12 to get it where it needed to be. Just my experience with it - hope it helps!
Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for the input!

Because switching the MV to an idealized version negates the ability to use all the info out there about setting up the real amps to one's advantage. If they function like the real amps, then we have all the info about the real amps at our fingertips in a 1:1 state. If things get idealized then we have the info specifically about the AFX models and we then have to figure out how anything about the real amps would relate to those models.
That's not entirely true. Particularly with Master Volume. For many amps, the Master Volume control is designed to nearly max out at low settings, to make potential buyers think it's a really loud amp. All the action happens at 2 or 3 on the dial. That makes for unreliable settings, and wide manufacturing tolerances only make it worse. A Master Volume setting of 2.5 on one amp can have much more gain than a setting of 2.5 on another copy of the same amp model.

Long story short: You can't reliably dial in an amp with a formula. That's like watching a race car speeding by, taking a snapshot of the driver's right foot as he passes, and concluding that the right way to run a race is with the accelerator 73% down.

Last edited:
That's not entirely true. particularly with Master Volume. For many amps, the Master Volume control is designed to nearly max out at low settings, to make potential buyers think it's a really loud amp. All the action happens at 2 or 3 on the dial. That makes for unreliable settings, and wide manufacturing tolerances only make it worse. A Master Volume setting of 2.5 on one amp can have much more gain than a setting of 2.5 on another copy of the same amp model.

Long story short: You can't reliably dial in an amp with a formula. That's like watching a race car speeding by, taking a snapshot of the driver's right foot as he passes, and concluding that the right way to run a race is with the accelerator 73% down.
That's definitely the case FOR the idealized method, but, at that point, why make any of the settings in line with the real amps instead of just idealized? It doesn't really change my point. It removes even the potential for wider info.

And even before the MV change I was sitting trying to figure out why all my guitars blow out the headroom meter at anything over 1 on MV, so it's not like even idealized versions function as a universal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom