Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 4 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wel
No. A reset doesn't touch presets (which is a good thing).
Ahh.. I was trying to clear all of the presets and set it back to factory presets. I’ve backed it up from its current state, saved the handful I liked especially separately, and wanted to set all of the presets back to factory.. which will clear out lots of slots. I don’t have any empty slots currently.. I bought it second hand and the previous owner used them all up .

I’m a little confused and apologies for the dumb question, but if I reinstall all of the factory presets (which I’ve been considering) will I need to reset the amps in each preset?

No. there's no need to do anything.

Thanks. So I guess my question would be if I’ve installed Cygnus and I reinstall the factory presets, what is the purpose of a soft reset of the amp block in a particular preset?

A reset makes sure that all parameters (visible and hidden) are set to their defaults for that specific amp model. You get a clean start.

Regarding the Dirty Shirley amps in Cygnus...

Hi, everyone. I did the Cygnus update and I can't seem to get along with the Dirty Shirley amps. I created fresh new presets that only had the amp and cab blocks in them, and went through various IR's and amp tweaks, and I'm left with a pretty big disparity between the sound of the DS amps that I have experience with (the actual amps), and what the Axe III seems to offer. I checked to verify that the Dirty Shirley amps were part of the updated Cygnus list, which they were.

Overall they are very dark, boxy, and very sterile. I mean no disrespect by this, it's just the best way I think I can explain what I'm hearing. I didn't get along with the Dirty Shirley amps in the Axe III prior to Cygnus either, so it could just be me, but I wanted to give them a go again with Cygnus, because I'm quite fond of the real amps. I had hoped maybe they would sound different or improved with Cygnus.

Pretty much every other amp I use on Axe III compared to the actual amp is nearly spot on. The Dirty Shirley's just seem to be much different. Is there something that I'm doing wrong, or are these modeled after certain Dirty Shirley amps that I may not have played, that have a much darker sound?

Any help is much appreciated, thank you!

The DS level in CYGNUS (Beta!) is very low, so you have to crank up the level first.

Also, DS is a dark amp by nature in my experience. Turn up Presence. Maybe that's why Friedman has added Bright switches in the new Twin Sister (based on the DS).

The DS level in CYGNUS (Beta!) is very low, so you have to crank up the level first.

Also, DS is a dark amp by nature in my experience. Turn up Presence. Maybe that's why Friedman has added Bright switches in the new Twin Sister.
Gotcha.

Trying that, but it doesn't seem to help much. It seems like the EQ knobs on the "Authentic" page have very little impact on the overall tonality. Maybe I am just destined to not get along with these amps. I just wanted someone else to listen to theirs in hopes that maybe there was a bug. But maybe it's just how they are.

You´re right, absolut - but what you pointed out is the job of the IR-Producers....The Axe itself sounds and reacts (and should do ) like the real amp
- what you do with this sound (FRFR, direct with IR, real Cab) is another thing?!

There's zero way for an IR producer to have the ability to say, "I'm going to make these IR's perfect for Wolfgang H". They can only deliver so much, the rest is up to you. They've got no way of knowing what your preferences are, how you dial in your amps or what you need to happen to your tone for it to fit in a mix. You're literally looking for someone to be able to give you a 3-4 knob approach to one of the biggest challenges guitarists face; creating their perfect tone.

The only way to circumvent that is if you sat down with Cliff and an IR producer and said "This is EXACTLY what I want" and then they dialed the shit in for you, or they give you a million options and let you figure it out on your own. Last I heard, Cliff isn't scheduling sessions with Fractal owners and I haven't seen any sign up sheets to visit an IR producer's studio, so it looks like you're left to your own devices.

Reactions: jon
Gotcha.

Trying that, but it doesn't seem to help much. It seems like the EQ knobs on the "Authentic" page have very little impact on the overall tonality. Maybe I am just destined to not get along with these amps. I just wanted someone else to listen to theirs in hopes that maybe there was a bug. But maybe it's just how they are.

Select a brighter IR.

Also, DS is a dark amp by nature in my experience. Turn up Presence. Maybe that's why Friedman has added Bright switches in the new Twin Sister (based on the DS).
I owned a DS, I remember running the mids at like 1-2 o’clock, I think the amp “needs” that.

From the manual:

"We recommend starting the amp with the Bass on 6, the mids at around 7 or 8 and the treble and presence at 5."

Regarding the Dirty Shirley amps in Cygnus...

Hi, everyone. I did the Cygnus update and I can't seem to get along with the Dirty Shirley amps. I created fresh new presets that only had the amp and cab blocks in them, and went through various IR's and amp tweaks, and I'm left with a pretty big disparity between the sound of the DS amps that I have experience with (the actual amps), and what the Axe III seems to offer. I checked to verify that the Dirty Shirley amps were part of the updated Cygnus list, which they were.

Overall they are very dark, boxy, and very sterile. I mean no disrespect by this, it's just the best way I think I can explain what I'm hearing. I didn't get along with the Dirty Shirley amps in the Axe III prior to Cygnus either, so it could just be me, but I wanted to give them a go again with Cygnus, because I'm quite fond of the real amps. I had hoped maybe they would sound different or improved with Cygnus.

Pretty much every other amp I use on Axe III compared to the actual amp is nearly spot on. The Dirty Shirley's just seem to be much different. Is there something that I'm doing wrong, or are these modeled after certain Dirty Shirley amps that I may not have played, that have a much darker sound?

Any help is much appreciated, thank you!
They are very dark amp when used with the matching 16-ohm cabinet. The feedback is off the speaker jack (don't ask me why, doesn't make sense). This results in a lot of negative feedback at high frequencies which makes the sound dark. The amp is modeled assuming a 16-ohm load.

If you use them into an 8-ohm cabinet they're brighter. To simulate this lower the negative feedback by 1/sqrt(2). This results in a negative feedback value of 0.3.

Gotcha.

If you haven’t tried, I would also try the Amp block output EQ to see if that will help. As YEK mentioned, certain IR’s that have a brighter character , do you have 3rd party IR’s ? Also check on axexchange Leon Todds, Mix IR’s, and others on there , may find a bright one.
But you can probably go thru the AXE and find a brighter IR with your ears when scrolling.

I have no experience with the dirty shirleys , so you would know best When you get close. Good luck !

They are very dark amp when used with the matching 16-ohm cabinet. The feedback is off the speaker jack (don't ask me why, doesn't make sense). This results in a lot of negative feedback at high frequencies which makes the sound dark. The amp is modeled assuming a 16-ohm load.

If you use them into an 8-ohm cabinet they're brighter. To simulate this lower the negative feedback by 1/sqrt(2). This results in a negative feedback value of 0.3.

I'm curious; how much of these things do you remember off the top of your head?

With my job, if I don't keep notes on 90% of the things that enter my head through the day, I'm lost by the end of the hour. I'd have to think that either you spend a LOT of time with these amps, to the point this stuff is ingrained in your memory, or you've got a list of notes you can refer back to. Regardless, I'm always fascinated by guys like you, Friedman, Egnater, Suhr, etc discuss this stuff as common knowledge. I'm dying to get into an electronics class so I understand it more.

I'm curious; how much of these things do you remember off the top of your head?

With my job, if I don't keep notes on 90% of the things that enter my head through the day, I'm lost by the end of the hour. I'd have to think that either you spend a LOT of time with these amps, to the point this stuff is ingrained in your memory, or you've got a list of notes you can refer back to. Regardless, I'm always fascinated by guys like you, Friedman, Egnater, Suhr, etc discuss this stuff as common knowledge. I'm dying to get into an electronics class so I understand it more.
I've studied amps for over 15 years now and I've looked at the schematics so many times that I have most of them memorized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom