Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 4 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to play with the Dirty Shirley. Always liked the amp in the fractal - never played a real one. Collings 290 into the attached preset, going through 4 scenes of increasing gain, and diff pickup selectors/vol. Saturday morning the coffee ran out preset creation.

Attachments

• DirtShir.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
I didn't see a thread to report bugs with this update, so I figured here would be as good as any :)

I just updated and came to a preset I was playing last night (before updating). There is a lot going on in this preset. But when Pitch 2, a whammy, is engage, there is a huge latency that wasn't there before. If I bypass the block, the latency goes away. Preset is attached.

P.S. so far it sounds great! But I am just starting to get into it.

Attachments

• Killswitch_bug.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 11
Hi All, don't know for you, but in some cases I found the BMT knobs to have very little influence on the sound ....?
I just tried the PLexi 50W H1 (in the bunch of amp treated for 16b). Had this same behavior with some other amps I Tested with 16b (don't remember exactly which...)
I did a reset (Ctl+I) of course, as usual with new FW.
Any Ideas ?

Hi All, don't know for you, but in some cases I found the BMT knobs to have very little influence on the sound ....?
I just tried the PLexi 50W H1 (in the bunch of amp treated for 16b). Had this same behavior with some other amps I Tested with 16b (don't remember exactly which...)
I did a reset (Ctl+I) of course, as usual with new FW.
Any Ideas ?
Real amp behaves the same way. All the distortion comes from the power amp so the tone controls don't do much.

hmmm ok... thanks Cliff (nice WE to you BTW !). I found less influence from the knobs than I had with previous FW... so we're getting in more realistic amps, especialy with Marschalls !!

I think Cliff you should build real amps from your FAS models: great sounding, all the tone gamut, efficient knobs ! :)

The buttons course are not authentic in the axe . Most of real heads got a very small difference between 0 and 3 , or after 5 or (examples).... Marshall amps seems to not have controls at all in real life , 0 , 5 or 10 lol

I just tried the PLexi 50W H1
One saying the knobs have too much control, while the other saying theres not enough... I feel for you @FractalAudio

The buttons course are not authentic in the axe . Most of real heads got a very small difference between 0 and 3 , or after 5 or (examples).... Marshall amps seems to not have controls at all in real life , 0 , 5 or 10 lol . in Mesa’s , the control of the bass / high / middle are particular too . The buttons course (and effect it does while turning it ) , seems to be the same whatever amps is simulated .
It might sound crazy to prefer to have cheap controls like most of the head have , but ... that’s authentic 😅
Except for a few specific intentional cases, like Presence and (I think) Master Volume, the knobs on the Axe Fx match the tapers of the real amps.

This has been discussed many times, and I believe specifically with you in another thread.

Don't forget that typical electronic circuits have a +/- 10% variance in value (that's a 20% range).

Stick 2 identical amps side by side with identical settings - they won't likely sound identical.

Also note that the Axe Fx knobs are 0-10 where some real amps may be 0-11 or 0-12. So the "numbers" might not match but the full range of the knobs is equivalent.

Regarding the Dirty Shirley amps in Cygnus...

Hi, everyone. I did the Cygnus update and I can't seem to get along with the Dirty Shirley amps. I created fresh new presets that only had the amp and cab blocks in them, and went through various IR's and amp tweaks, and I'm left with a pretty big disparity between the sound of the DS amps that I have experience with (the actual amps), and what the Axe III seems to offer. I checked to verify that the Dirty Shirley amps were part of the updated Cygnus list, which they were.

Overall they are very dark, boxy, and very sterile. I mean no disrespect by this, it's just the best way I think I can explain what I'm hearing. I didn't get along with the Dirty Shirley amps in the Axe III prior to Cygnus either, so it could just be me, but I wanted to give them a go again with Cygnus, because I'm quite fond of the real amps. I had hoped maybe they would sound different or improved with Cygnus.

Pretty much every other amp I use on Axe III compared to the actual amp is nearly spot on. The Dirty Shirley's just seem to be much different. Is there something that I'm doing wrong, or are these modeled after certain Dirty Shirley amps that I may not have played, that have a much darker sound?

Any help is much appreciated, thank you!
I have a Dirty Shirley and Twin Sister and I agree. In Ares the model seemed closer to my amps, in Cygnus it seems off. Darker and even more low end, which the real amp already has tons of. Other than that, Cygnus is amazing and frankly better than my other real amps.

And here we go . You cannot say a “negative “ thing , share a wish or an opinion. “ Get out ! Man”
I know . It’s like that in forums . That’s why I am in any of them normally . Most of you criticize Facebook but in the end it’s better .
i tried this one , hoping it was different . But no .
well . I probably will ask to remove my account and posts here as I cannot say nothing .
It's not that you can't have a negative opinion, clearly you've been allowed that amply. What's odd is that you seem to assume that no one ought to be annoyed with them; I'd say it's perfectly within reason for any of us to be annoyed reading the same negative opinion over and over and over and over again, you ought to anticipate that. That's not even me affirming that you're actually wrong about anything, you may be correct about everything for all I know. Regardless of what other people are saying I'm too busy and don't care enough to evaluate what you're saying, but I sure am annoyed reading it sometimes.

They are very dark amp when used with the matching 16-ohm cabinet. The feedback is off the speaker jack (don't ask me why, doesn't make sense). This results in a lot of negative feedback at high frequencies which makes the sound dark. The amp is modeled assuming a 16-ohm load.

If you use them into an 8-ohm cabinet they're brighter. To simulate this lower the negative feedback by 1/sqrt(2). This results in a negative feedback value of 0.3.
I love that we get this kind of access to useful feedback from the guy that actually built the box. It’s unheard of in this day and age, but it’s so appreciated!!

It's not that you can't have a negative opinion, clearly you've been allowed that amply. What's odd is that you seem to assume that no one ought to be annoyed with them; I'd say it's perfectly within reason for any of us to be annoyed reading the same negative opinion over and over and over and over again, you ought to anticipate that. That's not even me affirming that you're actually wrong about anything, you may be correct about everything for all I know. Regardless of what other people are saying I'm too busy and don't care enough to evaluate what you're saying, but I sure am annoyed reading it sometimes.
Ignore him! I did! Much more peaceful👍🏻

Decided to play with the Dirty Shirley. Always liked the amp in the fractal - never played a real one. Collings 290 into the attached preset, going through 4 scenes of increasing gain, and diff pickup selectors/vol. Saturday morning the coffee ran out preset creation.

@sskkmm Dude, your demos sound great! I’ve heard a bunch in this thread alone, and you have a knack for it. You find out what sounds great about an amp and you bring it out in a musical way.
Well done!

Last edited:
I am just asking for visual accuracy of controls that’s all ! I play all day long with the axe that’s why I don’t understand how people can tell me to sold it and to go fuck myself . It’s crazy
The same 2 examples of real amps may not match either do to component value variation, especially pots. The Axe is NEVER going to match every real example of a modeled amp, only the amp Cliff used to create the model.

View attachment 79309

My cockatiel liked Cygnus!!! 😀😀😀😀
...add this to the list of things never before said in the history of mankind! 😂🤣😂. My Coton De Tulear’s love it too.

Yesterday, I received a lightly used 2020 PRS McCarty 594 and got lost for about 3 hours with the 5E3 Tweed Deluxe. This is so much fun experiencing the raw feel and sound of these Fender and Marshall amps. Thanks Cliff!

Honestly, every time I listen to demos like this when I’m not at home, all I can think about is getting back to the Axe FX to try the amp.

Every.
Single.
Time.

They are very dark amp when used with the matching 16-ohm cabinet. The feedback is off the speaker jack (don't ask me why, doesn't make sense). This results in a lot of negative feedback at high frequencies which makes the sound dark. The amp is modeled assuming a 16-ohm load.

If you use them into an 8-ohm cabinet they're brighter. To simulate this lower the negative feedback by 1/sqrt(2). This results in a negative feedback value of 0.3.
It very well could be user error on my part and I haven't rolled back to v15 for a fresh comparison, but I'm also struggling with this model in Cygnus. I always play my real DS through a 16 ohm cab because I prefer the tone and feel compared to 4 or 8 ohms. It really is a very noticeable difference even when using the same type of speaker, it's a cool and sometimes annoying quirk of the amp. With the model I feel like I'm having to pull the bass back even lower and boost the treble or presence higher than in Ares. On the other hand, Cygnus is pretty much dead nuts on compared to my BE, AC20 and Ecstasy.

EDIT: After an apples to apples comparison with my real Dirty Shirley I don't think there's anything wrong with the model.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...gnus-firmware-public-beta.170253/post-2053067

Last edited:

@sskkmm Thanks for sharing the preset. That was a fun one to play. Surprisingly (to me), my Carvin w stock pups sounds best on your "Adults Only" scene, when set to blend the bridge and neck pickups. I can't recall this being the case on any amp before / real or otherwise. Cheers, Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom