Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 4 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
The FreQout and my Talk Box are the only pedals I still use. I still have all my old pedals because I refuse to sell gear after too many regrets over the years. Maybe the AxeFX IV will have a spot to attach a talk box tube to! :D
I run Out 3 to a bridged Crown and over to my Talk Box. Very simple. Sounds great through a dedicated stage mic to FOH. Cygnus’ Marshalls through the talk box kick tail. The improved articulation and dynamics sound just like the old days, through my Marshall head, when this box was new. Has anyone else noticed this? Have you all heard what I’m hearing? Do you feel like I do?

Some players think, the good sound is hidden in the advanced parameters...It should be easy to create a good ampsound with the frontplate knobs ob the amps like in the real world. Why shouldn´t we turn on bass down the modeler like we did at our real Plexis, Diezels, Mesas? If we come to this point like now, than Cliff has done everything allright...but what will he do in the future....?:rolleyes: Playing golf?

To be fair, most physical amps you put a mic in front of need some work done to get them to sit in a mix. It’s more rare to NOT have to tweak them than it is to tweak them. Ideally, sure, it’d be great to just dial in the front panel of an amp and call it a day, however, there’s a reason why people have blown weeks in major recording studios on just getting a guitar sound. It’s also another reason people hate dealing with mic’ing a cab, because there’s a million spots where it sounds like ass and a few where it sounds great.

The AxeFX is basically taking the post-EQ work done at a mixing desk and putting in the same space as the amp. I know one thing for sure, I CERTAINLY do not miss adjusting a mic, running back to the control room, checking the mic, running out to the mic again, tweak the amp, back to the control room to check, rinse and repeat. I can sit my fat ass down in my studio and not get up for 8 hours straightThat said, I think Leon Todd did a video this week where he loaded up a Cameron, didn’t even touch the settings and it was a gig-worthy tone. It’s certainly possible.

Last edited:
To be fair, most physical amps you put in a mic in front of need some work done to get them to sit in a mix. It’s more rare to NOT have to tweak them than it is to tweak them. Ideally, sure, it’d be great to just dial in the front panel of an amp and call it a day, however, there’s a reason why people have blown weeks in major recording studios on just getting a guitar sound. It’s also another reason people hate dealing with mic’ing a cab, because there’s a millions spots where it sounds like ass and a few where it sounds great.

The AxeFX is basically taking the post-EQ work done at a mixing desk and putting in the same space as the amp. I know one thing for sure, I CERTAINLY do not miss adjusting a mic, running back to the control room, checking the mic, running out to the mic again, tweak the amp, back to the control room to check, rinse and repeat. I can sit my fat ass down in my studio and not get up for 8 hours straightThat said, I think Leon Todd did a video this week where he loaded up a Cameron, didn’t even touch the settings and it was a gig-worthy tone. It’s certainly possible.
Amen to that!! I remember I almost got one of those stepper mic things where you could adjust the mic position from the control room, it was such a time waster having to make a million movements to get a good sound, and even with experience it would still be kinda hit and miss

It's like taking a photo in a studio, the photographer usually has to have the subject make ton of micro adjustments and then take a ton of photos at different angles to get a good result. The micing of a tube amp is no different in that regard, but IMHO because it's harder because adjusting things with your ears is harder than doing it with your eyes

I run Out 3 to a bridged Crown and over to my Talk Box. Very simple. Sounds great through a dedicated stage mic to FOH. Cygnus’ Marshalls through the talk box kick tail. The improved articulation and dynamics sound just like the old days, through my Marshall head, when this box was new. Has anyone else noticed this? Have you all heard what I’m hearing? Do you feel like I do?

I’ve got the MXR Talk Box with the built-in power. That’s coming out of Loop 4 with my Freqout coming out of Loop 3.

When I first got it, I ran a mic into the XLR Input of Input 2 and tried setting up a signal chain where I could keep everything contained in the AxeFX, IE- no PA needed. It’s possible, but getting the signal to sound good and strong, even with a tube preamp in line right after the signal came back in, didn’t really produce the best results. I didn’t spend a ton of time working on it and maybe I’ll give it another crack down the road.

I'm gonna quote my own post because I can't get over this thing with my strat. Just the Amp - really can't stop playing it. So freaking realistic.
Has the ODS Ford been updated or just benefiting from Cygnus goodies? (I figured it was different than ODS Clean and HRM)

I’m in same boat. Something I jammed up while playing along with Guitar Pro. This is the ODS Ford PAB. Spontaneous stuff happens when it sounds this good.

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/4wNW9nSkcz1KeMM6A

Previous posts applauded the tone on BandCommander and ODS-100 Ford on Cygnus.

I happened to have a preset that uses both of those and I thought sounded glorious before. (It was a John Mayer preset that I downloaded originally from axe-exchange and then updated)

I have tweaked it for Cygnus and it sounds to me even more glorious!

attached:

Attachments

• JOHN MAYER.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Some friday night messes to share...both with my old classic goldtop.

I used a "LT Cygnus Sampler" preset which is really just some of @2112 awesome tips/tricks/scenes in one place I made earlier. You will need his LT TV Mix 2 in Chan A and LT TV Mix 7 in Chan B of the cab (or your cab of pref).

Using @iaresee 's great RUST preset (https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...gnus-firmware-public-beta.170253/post-2048738), I was messing with some Neil Young...the noise at the end was the fun of trying to get "feedback" when you are silent recording with headphones.

Also with that preset:

Attachments

• LT Cygnus Sampler.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Does anyone have an idea when Cygnus will be released as a fully approved firmware (not Beta)?
No one knows this, not even Cliff I’d imagine. It takes a lot of work from what he’s said. He has to compare each model to the real amp, every channel, one by one.

Based on Cliff’s previous public statements, I’d estimate at least 2-3 weeks from now to allow him to sleep, longer if we let him take breaks and take his time. :)

No one knows this, not even Cliff I’d imagine. It takes a lot of work from what he’s said. He has to compare each model to the real amp, every channel, one by one.

Based on Cliff’s previous public statements, I’d estimate at least 2-3 weeks from now to allow him to sleep, longer if we let him take breaks and take his time. :)

How does this work, does he have one big room with all the amps in it? Or does everything get brought in one at a time?

I bet FAS has some kind of Indiana Jones warehouse where they keep all their secret prototypes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom