Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 4 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the amps I dread. Diezels in particular. The Herbert weighs a metric ton.

When I retire I might make tube amps as a hobby/side-job. I have a design that would yield a 50W tube amp that weighs less than 20 lbs.
Cabs are no fun either slinging them around.

When I decided to keep the Soldano 4x12 slant, I put the sucker on casters to make moving it easier.

Yes, that's how it works when you've Authentic Mode enabled in Setup > Global.
Disable that, and "soft resetting" will leave BMT values intact.
... Needs a bit more clearance especially when you speak a foreign language ....also looked at the Wiki for Soft and hard reset ...
when you switch to an amp and go back to previous , it s soft reset so it should keep BMT as before ... according to the Wiki ,
Am i missing something ..??
Something we had not to do since many FW !!!! Resetting Amp Block
Thanks for clearance....

I was playing the JP2c model for a while yesterday and though it's not in the updated list I can attest that this particular chocolate cake got a whole lot juicier!

My quacky Deluxe Reverb benefitted from an amp block reset and re-tweak and is now nice and chimey. Verified that against some Allman Brothers tunes.

... Needs a bit more clearance especially when you speak a foreign language ....also looked at the Wiki for Soft and hard reset ...
when you switch to an amp and go back to previous , it s soft reset so it should keep BMT as before ... according to the Wiki ,
Am i missing something ..??
Something we had not to do since many FW !!!! Resetting Amp Block
Thanks for clearance....

from the Release Notes for old firmware 3.02:

“Added Global "Tone Control Display" parameter. When set to Authentic (default) only those controls present on the actual amp are displayed. When set to Ideal all tone controls are displayed. Also, when set to Authentic, the Bass, Mid and Treble controls are reset to default values when changing models to ensure accuracy for models that may not have these controls.”

This is also explained in the wiki.

New user here and I just loaded the new firmware. Could someone explain the purposes and the pros and cons of resetting the amp block? Assuming it would need to be done in each preset? Thanks.

New user here and I just loaded the new firmware. Could someone explain the purposes and the pros and cons of resetting the amp block? Assuming it would need to be done in each preset? Thanks.

resetting the amp block will reset all advanced settings (if set to Authentic; all settings) to default values. These default values might be different in the new firmware version.

You wanna talk about luggin' heavy amps around ...
Modeled after the Ampeg V4 Bass head... My 1972 AMPEG VT-22 AMP, (I Still have it) a 2x12 combo, weighed in at just Over 100 lbs (with the particular speakers I had in it) (Just under 100 lb stock).
Our other guitar player had one too.. His Ampeg VT-22 had SRO's in it...ONE of the Speaker Magnets in those SRO's (19 LB. @)alone, were backbreaking...I Had no idea what his amp actually weighed and didn't want to find out.
The word 'better use a forklift' comes to mind.

The VT-22 was AND STILL IS, as far as I'm concerned,... the loudest and (cleanest at very HIGH volume) amp ever made.... and did I mention, HEAVY!!!

Last edited:
Yes, this now starts the process for a LiveGold Cygnus update for later this spring hopefully -- gonna take "many many many" weeks though.

The math so far about 6 hours in: 7 presets done (four amp scenes each, so 28 separate sounds), so "just 300 presets X 4 scenes more to go" (as Cliff completes each model)! Hahahaha.... :p It will go faster as I grasp what needs to be done with repetition.
It'd be nice if either Fractal-Bot or the Edit programs had an option to reset the amp block (and/or any other block type that might need resetting) en masse. The "Manage Presets" pane seems like it would be the logical place because we could select one or many, but Fractal-Bot's Receive pane has a usable interface too.

Last edited:
PS: Joking (and my mediocre playing) aside, I felt that the clip above demonstrates nicely that Cygnus is NOT just about "chug". There is a vocal growling quality that was hard to achieve before without overwhelming the powerfulness of the sound.

In other words, it sounds better, and more easily.
Don't put yourself down, this my favourite Cygnus clip!!!

You were right about the Drives, their individual characteristics seem enhanced going into the new amp modelling.

I have a question, though. It's been said the new modelling is rawer and might sometimes require use of a compressor to tame the amp a bit... would you recommend putting the compressor before the Amp or after the Cab?

You guys on the forum have great describing the new modelling and persuading me to try the beta.

And thanks to Cliff for allowing us to take this for a spin.

Rock on, dudes!

@JOHNNYROCKIT I played a V4 at a rehearsal space for many months. A most worthy amplifier and kills with a tube driver in front. If I'm not mistaken, isn't the V4 the basis for the Steel String Singer? It's definitely loud enough.

from the Release Notes for old firmware 3.02:

“Added Global "Tone Control Display" parameter. When set to Authentic (default) only those controls present on the actual amp are displayed. When set to Ideal all tone controls are displayed. Also, when set to Authentic, the Bass, Mid and Treble controls are reset to default values when changing models to ensure accuracy for models that may not have these controls.”

This is also explained in the wiki.
Thanks for the clearance Yek .... will spend more time on the wiki

resetting the amp block will reset all advanced settings (if set to Authentic; all settings) to default values. These default values might be different in the new firmware version.
So are folks going through every preset and resetting the amp block in each one? Just not clear on how the process works. Thanks.

38 years after my buddy and I each bough our Boogie Mark IIC combos, we still toss out Mesa's old slogan for them, "Light Weight and Durable". These certainly weren't the behemoths of some of the previously mentioned amps, but I don't think I'd ever categorize the IIC combo as Light Weight. Durable.... yeah they got that one in spades!

It'd be nice if either Fractal-Bot or the Edit programs had an option to reset the amp block (and/or any other block type that might need resetting) en masse. The "Manage Presets" pane seems like it would be the logical place because we could select one or many, but Fractal-Bot's Receive pane has a usable interface too.
FracTool can do that if I'm not mistaken. @AlGrenadine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom