Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 11 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if it was built into AxeEdit? They could possibly off-load most of the factory cab storage to AxeEdit, and allow just the IR mixes used to be loaded to the AxeFX3, which would free up a lot of wasted space. The IRs used with factory presets would be loaded in the AxeFX, leaving the unused ones out, as they would all be included with AxeEdit. This could allow control over them, too, so reduction mix IRs could be made with factory IRs, to save CPU bandwidth....
That would solve the problem with IR storage. But what do you do when you have IR captures of a single location? I guess IR mic movement could be disabled. Seems like some kind of EQ or IR (speaker) modeling would be the best solution for this kind of approach.

Last edited:
I don't get that. It's not like the factory banks contains tens and tens of IRs of the same speaker/mic combination. To be able to interpolate, you must have some multiple actual reference positions, not just a single one.
He means if you want something like MIKKO built in, you'd consume all your factory IR slots quickly just getting sheer number of IR variations for a single speaker.

I don't get that. It's not like the factory banks contains tens and tens of IRs of the same speaker/mic combination. To be able to interpolate, you must have some multiple actual reference positions, not just a single one.
Not sure what you are saying. My understanding is if you have 100 different mic positions you need 100 IRs that represent each of those position and the tool just indexes the correct IR based on the selection in the tool. What I am saying is those IRs require storage either on the Device or on the computer itself. Am I missing something?

A straight up speaker modeler ala Ox would be freakin brilliant instead, especially given how awesome @FractalAudio's expertise is. Not that there aren't some great IRs... more that I tend to use a handful and ignore ~99% of them.
Moreso with Cygnus removing the need to nitpick 100 IRs to find happiness.

A straight up speaker modeler ala Ox would be freakin brilliant instead, especially given how awesome @FractalAudio's expertise is. Not that there aren't some great IRs... more that I tend to use a handful and ignore ~99% of them.
I think this is going to be the next big thing in modeling. Seems like the amp modeling is pretty much there, but IR modeling has some room for improvement.

I'm with you. I've never cared for getting lost in the rabbit hole of endless IR choices. I struggle enough as it is balancing my learning/diving into advanced parameters in the Axe Fx, parameters I'd never dream of messing with in their physical counterparts, with actual time playing and having fun. I just gravitate to a handful of great IR's that seem to work across presets and with Cygnus this is just easier now. Leon Todd's vids often use the same IR's over and again and it sounds awesome.

It must be a pretty exhausting work to match all the irs visually with the cab and cone, but yes it’s very friendly for us musicians and more accurate than a eq filter .

i miss the mic simulation we had in the 2.
this too can probably be perfected
A collection of the most famous mics, a nice cabinet interface and moving a mic... maybe in axe 4 🙃.
or maybe never 🤣

I just gravitate to a handful of great IR's that seem to work across presets and with Cygnus this is just easier now. Leon Todd's vids often use the same IR's over and again and it sounds awesome.
Horses for courses. Depends on what your goal is. If you are after a vintage amp sound, having a choice of differently-mic'ed IRs of a good factory speaker or two to pick from per model lets you get that.

If you are looking for "your sound", a single IR (or single combination of IRs) may be your ticket to nirvana.

It's nice to have the choice, innit? ;)

Horses for courses. Depends on what your goal is. If you are after a vintage amp sound, having a choice of differently-mic'ed IRs of a good factory speaker or two to pick from per model lets you get that.

If you are looking for "your sound", a single IR (or single combination of IRs) may be your ticket to nirvana.

It's nice to have the choice, innit? ;)
Totally. More choice is better than none or little.

I'm with you. I've never cared for getting lost in the rabbit hole of endless IR choices. I struggle enough as it is balancing my learning/diving into advanced parameters in the Axe Fx, parameters I'd never dream of messing with in their physical counterparts, with actual time playing and having fun. I just gravitate to a handful of great IR's that seem to work across presets and with Cygnus this is just easier now. Leon Todd's vids often use the same IR's over and again and it sounds awesome.
I’m right there with you. But good lord those IR’s make a big difference to my ears on some of those amps. Serenity Now!!!!

Not so much in Cygnus. In fw15 I would nitpick for hours to get the perfect IR. I'm very grateful that's mostly over with. I'm even enjoying 421 mic'd IRs somehow.
Agreed! Now I have a little over a dozen "go to" IRs that work so much easier with Cygnus than previously.

Not so much in Cygnus. In fw15 I would nitpick for hours to get the perfect IR. I'm very grateful that's mostly over with. I'm even enjoying 421 mic'd IRs somehow.
Will have to give those another shot. Been avoiding them, as I didn't like them no matter the speaker involved. Some ice-picky thing I had a hard time dialing out that didn't occur with 906 or 57.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom