Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 11 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
After owning ax8 for years, a week ago, I received my axe3 mk2.
I have been checking fw 15.01 quite extensively.
I was totally amazed by how this fw sounds compared to ax8 10.01.

Yesterday, I had finally a bit of time for myself, so I wanted to check at least a dozen of my favourite amp models in ax3 running on cygnus beta fw.

In the end, I tried only 2 models for straight 3 hours :D - cameron ccv and herbie - two of my absolutely favourites for higher gain stuff.

I must say I am beyond impressed - these 2 amp models punches so hard, that I was double checking, if output of ax3 goes into my tiny "Marley frfr" speaker as seen on a pic.

The note bloom, feel and low end is just amazing.
Side effect of that is that I had to add more treble/presence than before - no complains though.

Then I plugged ax3 into Fryette PS-2 and orange 2x12.
What the F... ????????? :eek:
This Cygnus goodness is much, much more noticable when using tube power amp !
It´s the best sound I ever had (I used to own tons of friedman amps, diezels, fortin, mesa boogies, etc.).

Then of course, I wanted to compare cygnus friedman models to my real Friedman JJ 100 with deluxe mod (as seen on a pic).

Here I feel like the friedman models has some mistake in this beta, as they sounded much closer and better in fw 15.01. to the real amp.
Needed to say, I know how friedman amp works and how to dial them in.
No amount of tweaking in cygnus could help me, no preamp low cut, no negative feedback settings.

I was not able to try more models, so Camerons and Diezels are outstanding, but friedmans I am not impressed at the moment.

ALL things considered, this Cygnus fw is like buying again new ax3 after owning it for a week. :relieved:

Edit : pic added

Edit : I also found that the amp level now vary a lot.
for example : CCV models 1B loud, 2A normal level, 2C very quiet, 2D very quiet... they used to be equal volume wise.
I'm totally agree with you. Cygnus is a very nice improvement in amp modeling, but the Friedman amps sounded 1000 times better with 15.01... I hope Cliff will do something for the final release.

Love this tone. The JCM900 SLX was my first tube amp. Any chance of sharing this preset? Which IR?
Sure, I can post the preset after I clean it up a bit. The IRs I used were the YA 5153 412 57m-1 and SM7-CN at equal levels.

Edit: Preset attached. All Channels and Scenes are identical, so play with the Input Drive and Input Trim controls to get different flavors of distortion.

Attachments

• YA SL-X Match.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
I watched a nice video on the Fender Bassman on youtube and was like "Well that actually crunches super nicely with more volume"

So I switched on the axe, loaded up a chain with the 59er Bassman, the original speakers but even after cranking all the dials to 11 it wasn't as growly.

Is there something I am not grasping correctly?
I was looking for a clean amp to use some real high gain pedals with yesterday and tried this amp for a moment. It felt very bouncy like a Rectifier. It wasn't the sound I was looking for or remembered so I moved on. I really like the Solo 100 out of the box but I'm working to see if I can clean up the Engl or just use the Archean clean.

I was looking for a clean amp to use some real high gain pedals with yesterday and tried this amp for a moment. It felt very bouncy like a Rectifier. It wasn't the sound I was looking for or remembered so I moved on. I really like the Solo 100 out of the box but I'm working to see if I can clean up the Engl or just use the Archean clean.

Try the jcm800 and plexi.

Sure, I can post the preset after I clean it up a bit. The IRs I used were the YA 5153 412 57m-1 and SM7-CN at equal levels.

Edit: Preset attached. All Channels and Scenes are identical, so play with the Input Drive and Input Trim controls to get different flavors of distortion.
Where do i get the Cabs ?

I used the Slo 100 last night at band practice instead of my more heavier amps in my presets, loved it! What's a good frequency to boost for leads? Around 500 to 600hz? I need to get it a little thicker and cut more when I'm kicking in my leads.

I watched a nice video on the Fender Bassman on youtube and was like "Well that actually crunches super nicely with more volume"

So I switched on the axe, loaded up a chain with the 59er Bassman, the original speakers but even after cranking all the dials to 11 it wasn't as growly.

Is there something I am not grasping correctly?
Not an expert on the Bassman, but going from memory the 65 Bassman seems to be more of that grinding and growling. I really like the Dweezil Bassman, but it's not stock and has it's own vibe going on. Very cool thing though.

I used the Slo 100 last night at band practice instead of my more heavier amps in my presets, loved it! What's a good frequency to boost for leads? Around 500 to 600hz? I need to get it a little thicker and cut more when I'm kicking in my leads.
I like to boost around 750hz, gets the tone into the more "vocal" range.

Years ago I remember one of the Rocktron guys saying thatbetween about 1200 and 1300
there was some magic that made lead tones cut through and scream

I'm totally agree with you. Cygnus is a very nice improvement in amp modeling, but the Friedman amps sounded 1000 times better with 15.01... I hope Cliff will do something for the final release.
Also agreed. They were my favorite since day one but now I can't seem to make them work for me. I hope there is just some tweaks that need to happen.

However... the Atomica! wowsers!

Am I the only one who tweaks his presets every day I play with them ? That’s crazy seriously
Part of my daily playing is budgeted for Axe FX exploration. Trying a new amp, messing with a new setting, etc. I bookmark the crap out of this forum and then chip away at some ideas that everyone throws out.

Still too new to feel like I know what I’m doing but I will be the sponge and see where it goes...

Part of my daily playing is budgeted for Axe FX exploration. Trying a new amp, messing with a new setting, etc. I bookmark the crap out of this forum and then chip away at some ideas that everyone throws out.

Still too new to feel like I know what I’m doing but I will be the sponge and see where it goes...
That's the way to do it.

I save the sounds I like so that I dont have to tweak every day.
My problem is I find a sound I like, then load it up the next day and think it sounds like shit. Must be ear fatigue or something.

I was just thinking about setting aside some time every week to mess with a new amp model. Tried the Solo 100 for the first time last weekend and had a blast, now I'm keeping a list of models to try :) Gotta make an effort to search out new things otherwise I'll just stay in my Mesa / Peavey / FAS Modern comfort zone. And it's just making me better at dialing in tones too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom