Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 11 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Cliff and company,

I have a sh*tload of IRs I purchased when I was on the wrong side of living righteous, back when everything was "lined" (hint, hint)... IRs from "RW" and "OH" and others.

I haven't touched them since I went all Fractal and I'm happy because y'all are covering every cabinet base I could imagine with the factory cabs.

Can I erase those other files now?

There's more to it than that... this is mainly about dynamics and feel. Balance of chords and individual notes. Whether your notes have a quick attack or are laid back. How muted strings respond. How the amp responds to a variety of different techniques or things you play.
So things that sound and feel good to the user?

There's no hard and fast rule about how to find the perfect setting because it's subjective. EVERYONE sets their amps and guitars differently, uses different strings and picks, strums and plays differently, so how is picking the perfect sound from a modeler different?

I have about 20 presets I like. Some are cannibalized from other presets, but I tweaked them to make them my own because I didn't like how the original sounded. I don't want to sound like someone else; I might want a hint of someone else, but it's me hiding behind the guitar. So I rely on my ears to guide me.

Last edited:
Those new JPIIC+ models

john-petrucci.jpg

This update is beyond amazing. I launched my JPIIC preset, did a couple of tweaks, and immediately noticed the familiar roar I remember from JP’s amp demos and live DT shows I’ve been to. Shred is now perfect when switching from E Standard to Drop A 7 string.
I wanted to love this model prior to this release but could never get THE tone. Now it’s spectacular!

That's not our place in life. We only say what and why we like what we hear. You get to take the same chance we did, only much later, when we're already acclaiming that it's a good thing, so convince yourself.
Thanks for your help. Sheesh. Couldn’t you tell by the winking smiley face on my post that I was suggesting that those that post recordings of all this “awesomeness” will likely be convincing me to upgrade my AxeFxII? I was asking for recordings so I can hear it. Since it’s a BRAND NEW firmware that evidently sounds quite different than any firmware updates in the past, I think I asked a fair question. I simply can’t hear it and I don’t want to “risk” $3k on upgrading until I can hear it, I’m not a wealthy man. The focus of my comment was “Post recordings...Please!”, not the “convince me” part. Anyway, you seem nice.

Thanks for your help. Sheesh. Couldn’t you tell by the winking smiley face on my post that I was suggesting that those that post recordings of all this “awesomeness” will likely be convincing me to upgrade my AxeFxII? I was asking for recordings so I can hear it. Since it’s a BRAND NEW firmware that evidently sounds quite different than any firmware updates in the past, I think I asked a fair question. I simply can’t hear it and I don’t want to “risk” $3k on upgrading until I can hear it, I’m not a wealthy man. The focus of my comment was “Post recordings...Please!”, not the “convince me” part. Anyway, you seem nice.

I think it may just have come across a bit entitled asking us to provide you with recordings so you can make an informed decision.

I think it may just have come across a bit entitled asking us to provide you with recordings so you can make an informed decision.
I’m certainly not entitled, it was meant to be a half joke, but whatever. I just wanted to hear what is being talked about, that’s all. I’m just extremely intrigued by all the words of excitement over this release...I wasn’t asking anyone to do anything special for me.

But, to be told to “convince myself” just came off as rude and snobbish IMO

I’m certainly not entitled, it was meant to be a half joke, but whatever. I just wanted to hear what is being talked about, that’s all. I’m just extremely intrigued by all the words of excitement over this release...I asn’t asking anyone to do anything special for me.

But, to be told to “convince myself” just came off as rude and snobbish IMO

let it rest

There have been numerous recordings through this and the previous threads for this beta cycle. Asking for recordings, when they've already been posted, if those weren't enough to convince you... it sounded very high handed and as if you hadn't taken the time to go back and research using other people's existing offerings. If you had, then ask for a specific thing that was missing from all you heard previously.

The vast majority of us are not wealthy but we recognize the value of what Fractal is offering, especially with this latest beta release. There's little difference between managing and maintaining a modeler and a good desktop computer, and, again, it's up to you to decide whether it's worth upgrading. Read the comments across the various threads as they've released new updates and listen to the samples. The community has done their part both intentionally and unintentionally for you and I believe the majority think it's a major improvement. You have to decide whether it makes sense for you based on the existing evidence.

This update is beyond amazing. I launched my JPIIC preset, did a couple of tweaks, and immediately noticed the familiar roar I remember from JP’s amp demos and live DT shows I’ve been to. Shred is now perfect when switching from E Standard to Drop A 7 string.
I wanted to love this model prior to this release but could never get THE tone. Now it’s spectacular!
I'm a blues and rock guy, but, dang, this firmware is everything I hoped to ever hear from a modeler. I have no idea where Fractal will go from this point, but it's going to be a very interesting ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom