Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 11 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am super stoked guys. my axe 3 mk2 is scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

Switching from ax8, which I played 5 years almost every day.

I am now super pumped to check new flagship, that comes with fw 15.01 - I wonder how different that will be to Ares 10.01 on ax8.

Then I will spend probably a few weeks with ax3 just to get familiar with it and then I think there will be official release of new firmware.

So pretty much in about one month I’ll go throught the history of quite a few of firmwares.

Edit: (I think ax8 sounds amazing already and Can’t imagine how much better it can get).

I just saw a weirdness.

I installed b11, waited the appropriate time, rebooted, started Axe-Edit III beta, then did a "Refresh after new FW" (twice).

In the Cab block I set two cabinets to the same model (Legacy #189 but that shouldn't matter), then checked the alignment, and Axe-Edit III beta showed they weren't aligned. That didn't make sense, so I fiddled with settings and still they wouldn't align. Finally I changed the IR Length setting in "Cab More..." and dropped them from Max to 1024, checked the alignment and they were correctly aligned. And now, resetting them to Max continues to show them aligned.

I think either Edit, or the firmware, had cached the cabs in channel A, and was ignoring that I was on channel B until I adjusted the IR length, and then it refreshed.

I didn't think to capture a screenshot but will try to duplicate it and take a snapshot.

Last edited:
The Hafler Triple Giant (Bogner designed) uses logarithmic treble pots too. With that taper, you get very little room for tweaking.
I agree, with real amp that could be a problem.

I played friedman steven stevens model, which has also audio taper treble pot.
i had to crank it to almost 3 o’clock to match treble response on my friedman JJ with treble pot at 11 o’clock.

fractal is for sure much better with more options to tweak the high end than the real deal, IMO.

...is very cool!!

What I'm doing is turning it up too far, then adjusting the time constant, then turning it back down to "about right". It can make the amp feel more bouncy or more cranked.

a good strategy in general with all things virtual in my opinion: dial it up until it breaks, then rein in back in again.
Works for carburetors, too =)

Just don't try it when biasing a real amp (that old fender sounded glorious for about 3 minutes...)

I am super stoked guys. my axe 3 mk2 is scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

Switching from ax8, which I played 5 years almost every day.

I am now super pumped to check new flagship, that comes with fw 15.01 - I wonder how different that will be to Ares 10.01 on ax8.

Then I will spend probably a few weeks with ax3 just to get familiar with it and then I think there will be official release of new firmware.

So pretty much in about one month I’ll go throught the history of quite a few of firmwares.

Edit: (I think ax8 sounds amazing already and Can’t imagine how much better it can get).

Oh mate you're gonna LOVE IT!!

I went from the AX8 to my III about 18 months ago and I sold the AX8 within two weeks and nothing I'd tried at that point touched the AX8

You're in for a treat

Never understood why bogner uses logarithmic treble pots in his designs.

The Hafler Triple Giant (Bogner designed) uses logarithmic treble pots too. With that taper, you get very little room for tweaking.
You guys are mixing sth. up: Linear pots are infamously used in Bogners and are an odd choice. Audio taper however is one form of logarithmic taper and matches hearing perception which is also logarithmic.
Edit: Turned out I was the one who mixed things up...at least I learned sth.

Last edited:
You guys are mixing sth. up: Linear pots are infamously used in Bogners and are an odd choice. Audio taper however is one form of logarithmic taper and matches hearing perception which is also logarithmic.
Nope. Most amps use a linear taper for the treble pot. Bogners use a log taper. So when the knob is at noon on a Bogner it's similar to 8 o'clock on most amps.

Oh mate you're gonna LOVE IT!!

I went from the AX8 to my III about 18 months ago and I sold the AX8 within two weeks and nothing I'd tried at that point touched the AX8

You're in for a treat
and then next treat obviously will be jump from 15.01 to cygnus.

From what I read it looks like jump to totally new product... can’t wait 😊

edit : it’s like buying 2 new fractals at the same time :) :)

LOVING the new speaker compression algorithm! Amps are immediately sounding better and have more natural weight in the low end. And the Dizzy V4 is really fun to play and sounds way more open than I remember. This update is fantastic!
man you have to post some clips cause you already get great tones
would love to hear you tear it up w Cygnus SLO and VH4

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom