Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 10 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
as they do a new update for a bug in a knob, i dont know why they wont consider this too ...
concerning the "I am new" , I own an axe 2 before the 3 , so I am not so "new" , you can have an axe and dont be in the forum day one ............

well ... the bass pot in the herbie CH3 Still got problems when you move it....
I post back the video in case they miss it (and turn your volume on)

Honestly I don't find this unusual or problematic at all. Why does it matter, and what's the use case where it would cause trouble?

I can't think of a time that I have ever needed to change settings on the amp while playing a sustained note........is that something that anyone actually does during performance or recording?

i notice it because in the other amps there is no noise ...

So don't do that
To be completely fair to Muddy, the point of a Beta is to have real-world users report bugs that they find. Even if it's a nonsensical use case, it might help shed light on something else that the dev team is trying to track down.

Honestly I don't find this unusual or problematic at all. Why does it matter, and what's the use case where it would cause trouble?

I can't think of a time that I have ever needed to change settings on the amp while playing a sustained note........is that something that anyone actually does during performance or recording?
Well, yeah, sometimes, but it's not a life or death, critical, problem.

In the analog world the amps won't care as they will instantly adjust and the sound will change. They work at the speed the electrons flow.

The digital world does care because sounds are being generated and modified by code and would need to be reprocessed in tiny steps repeatedly until the knob stopped turning. That means we get a glitch, or the code has to silence the signal temporarily, reprocess, then begin outputting the signal. That's similar to why a modeler has to have a tiny gap when we change amps, so the sound can stabilize.

Last edited:
@My name is mud

Another approach on the forum when sharing an "issue" that looks like a bug is to ask a question "Is this a bug? It seems different on this particular amp compared to other amp models. Can others confirm?"

This allows community exploration rather than claiming something is broken. It might be broken, it might not. It also acknowledges that none of us knows exactly how it should or shouldn't react. Pretty much only Cliff does.

If every bass pot in every amp does this since I own the axe 2 , i wont talk about it . but it does that only on the herbie ...

It's weird every time I talk about a problem people can't get over it
if you don't mind, it's fine, but me it bothers me
When they do an update for a knob I never use in a amp i never use, i dont say nothing .
I dont have bough a digital gear to have the same noise in a pot (and a bass pot , not a pot your never use) from a 30 years old tube head , be serious .

Guys, seeing a pot on a specific amp act weirdly is a fair thing to report. @My name is mud , one thing you might not have noticed is that Cliff doesn't always acknowledge or respond to every question or report, he doesn't have time to. Sometimes a thing will get mentioned 5 or 6 times and he'll finally respond with "yes, that's already fixed for the next version". This is because all the posts are read, and all the bugs that need fixing are addressed, but reassuring us with a confirmation or an answer is not a necessary part of the process. So rest assured that I'm sure Cliff has seen the issue, and either already fixed it, logged in a list of things to investigate, or decided it's a non-issue.

Everyone else knows there are some knobs that we've been told can't be turned fast without noise and that's just the way it is. They won't be fixed and instead just shouldn't be assigned to modifiers. But there are others that are more important to be able to use with a modifier and do get fixed. I don't think Mud is in the wrong for pointing it out. Although Mud, one thing I do see happening is your way of speaking, perhaps the way you learned English, is a little less formal or polite than some on here would prefer. I think this is why sometime people push back on what you say. Many are also assuming it's that way with this knob, but we'll have to wait and see.

I know from experience some real amps do this too: My Ameg SVT3-PRO has a TUBE GAIN knob that controls the voltage level on a 12AU7 that feeds the MOSFET power section. Turning it up gives the tube ample power and the power section behaves like a solid state amp. Turning it down starves the tube which makes it respond with some of the sag and dynamics of a tube bass amp being pushed. However, they state in the manual and are correct that if you adjust this knob quickly you'll hear weird sounds.

Ultimately, there could just be something weird about the EQ stack on the Herbie that makes it susceptible to generating noise when turned. Not weird as in a bug, weird as in the amp design. If so, it'll likely stay. You best bet is to wait and see what happens on the next firmware release, and if it's still there it's probably inherent to the way the modelling works with that unique circuit.

Making 1 more "knob" related post in hopes it will be the last straw resulting in cleanup of all knob posts except for Mr Mud's 1st one that fairly reports the issue for consideration (or not).

Rock On!

This actually made me laugh - went through and backed everything up to get Beta 9 loaded up and in between had to do some ACTUAL work (on a Friday? come on!), but went back down to play a few notes and see that Beta 10 is out now. Thank you FAS for being just plain awesome.

Cygnus rocks! The Beta releases keep getting better! All hail Cliff and Team BUT... my playing still sucks! WTF, Cliff? Can’t you fIXx tHiSs?!? (wink)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom