Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you just use a standard ethernet computer patch cord? They use standed wire.

Most network patch cables are made from solid core copper twisted pairs. They bend, but don't roll up nicely or lay flat on the floor, and those plastic ends can snap if you step on them. Nothing like guitar or mic cables.

USB3 is overkill in this case. Also, if a USB3 capable computer was a requirement for the AxeFx II I'm sure people would've torn the roof of the forum :)
It's backwards compatible, but as javajunkie stated, it would be overkill anyway. Why add it if it's not necessary?

Most network patch cables are made from solid core copper twisted pairs. They bend, but don't roll up nicely or lay flat on the floor, and those plastic ends can snap if you step on them. Nothing like guitar or mic cables.

Agreed.

The Line 6 VDI cables for Variax are better than standard CAT5e in they have that rubberised feel like guitar leads, but they have the Neutrick locking RJ45 that was shown earlier on.

so you must be able to get rubberised cable from somewhere .... but where??

CAT6 cable is better than standard CAT5e BTW in that it rolls better.

USB3 hasn't really caught on. It may yet, but I doubt it. Why would you bother when Thunderbolt is native to Intel and far superior?? BTW, Thunderbolt can accept USB2 with an adapter.

Are the rack ears of the Axe 2 removable? read in a post by Cliff they were, but not sure if he was joking because someone had cut them off on and Axe Fx before..

Will that connector solder to a PCB? I can't find the pic of the board that Cliff posted, but IIRC, all of the rear connectors are mounted on the PCB (except maybe the XLR's?). I'd guess that the reason for not using that style of connector is because of the added steps/complexity in assembly.

I found the pic, it is here:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-general-discussion/35905-blastoff.html

It might simply be a real estate issue. There's not much room where the RJ45 jack is to put a larger one.

If it can't be retrofitted I'll just take a small black project box, mount a locking RJ45 jack in it and run a jumper from it to the jack in the back of the Axe, and then mount the box in the back of the rack somewhere...or you could mount the locking connector to a rack panel and run a jumper...

Will that connector solder to a PCB? I can't find the pic of the board that Cliff posted, but IIRC, all of the rear connectors are mounted on the PCB (except maybe the XLR's?). I'd guess that the reason for not using that style of connector is because of the added steps/complexity in assembly.

I found the pic, it is here:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-general-discussion/35905-blastoff.html

It might simply be a real estate issue. There's not much room where the RJ45 jack is to put a larger one.

My plan is to put an ethercon jack in a patch panel and run that to the back of the Axe Fx II. Where I'd really like to see it in the FAS product is in the MFC. But that'll probably have to come with the MFC II. :)

EDIT: ...oops. Walt basically said the same thing.

please, wanting some whether the AXE II, can be used as audio interface, and at the same time, can run all the options including reampling AXE II.
In short, if the new connections, we would need a sound card quality, as in the standard AXE.
Thanks

Agreed.

The Line 6 VDI cables for Variax are better than standard CAT5e in they have that rubberised feel like guitar leads, but they have the Neutrick locking RJ45 that was shown earlier on.

so you must be able to get rubberised cable from somewhere .... but where??

CAT6 cable is better than standard CAT5e BTW in that it rolls better.

I've never seen a premade ethernet patch cord made with solid conductor wires. The crimp plugs aren't reliable on solid wire. We just got a bunch of these:
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/CDW-20ft-CAT5e-or-CAT5-RJ45-Patch-Cable-Black/1095036.aspx

I will agree that they aren't soft & rubbery like an instrument cable, but they are stranded.

this is a technical question, about modeling in general. certainly applies to the axe II, but maybe belongs in a different forum. here it goes:

is the entire real-world circuit exactly duplicated with a matching virtual circuit such that all interactions between serial and parallel components (theoretically) reflect real-world behavior?

or is it that you dial in what you believe to be the sweet spots, measure those, and approximate what the various components ought to be doing?

i mean it's one thing to acquire a bunch of the best amps in the world. it's a whole different thing to really know those amps and where the magic lives. there's no substitute for experience, right?

it seems you need to not only acquire the great amps, but also acquire the knowledge from the great players that have been playing those great amps so they can tell you where that magic happens (gives a lot of weight to the requests for artist patches). and even then it's their opinion of what sounds good. other less obvious magic could be missed.

i'm currently axe-less, waiting for a chance to buy an axe II. while i wait i'd like to squelch one of my lingering concerns about modeling:

what if we're missing some of the less obvious or great "in between" sounds because those settings weren't considered and are not reflected in the model?

i'm sure this has been discussed before, but i didn't find any good threads. answers to the above questions or pointers to threads where i can find the answers greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom