Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.00 Firmware Release

New firmware sounds much better when it’s set to 0. I don’t get why it defaults to 3, sounds muddy.
Yes it´s sounds muddy - on the first impression. And it has got less Volume, I have to increase 1dB.
But the speakcomp helps a lot for the response/feeling, especially with clean/chrunchy tones. I like it!

Thank you FAS -

Being a "real cab" (stereo 2x12 V30s) user via SS amp, I find it nearly imperative to set spkr comp to "0". Many of the presets that highlight "known classic/vintage" amps are derivative of Cliff's recent presets, and those sometimes have high motor drive values. That makes hearing the differences very easy. But the clarity disappears with any value more than 0 (past 2 is unusable (so far)). But overall, nice FW update. Very clear, bell like on a strat. Will try an PRS/HB later.

Last edited:
Just when I think I have a handle on the changes here...is the Motor Drive in the Cab block (using current version of AE) redundant if using the Spkr Comp (Motor Drive) in the Amp block?

Today I tested Firmware Q9.0 installed on my Axe-Fx XL versus the Firmware 8.02 installed on my AX8, using seven random amp+speaker only presets (chosen from the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack).

Used same presets from each unit/matched exactly. Here are the soundclip results comparing them.

For each amp, the AX8 and FW 8.02 is first heard, and the XL is second heard, with same amp model and roughly same riff/lick. Guitar is through A/B box. Used both Fractal's SP/DIF output1s into DAW running Logic to record everything (no other processing).

The only preset adjustment I did was to set the SPKR COMP on the FW9 XL for each of the sevens amp's presest to a value of 5.0 (after some trial and error, based on how close it sounded to the AX8 FW 8.02 version to do that to me) and to raise the amp block LEVEL a little to compensate for any volume loss due to added SPKR compression.

What to raise the LEVEL by, did vary by amp -- trying to get the XL fader signal register same volume as the AX8 channel fader signal (showing averaging -12db) to avoid Mr. Fletcher Munson curve tricking my ears... Played and listened to everything at 92db loudness (it makes a difference than lower level which seems to blur the preset firmware tonal differences rather than exaggerate them).

To me, not surprisingly, the two firmwares do make the presets sound different EQ wise/--not exactly the same.

Thoughts? Do you prefer one over the other?

1. Hook 2b
2. Freidman Small Box
3. Vox AC15
4. Plexi 100 Jumped
5. Vibroverb AB
6. BlackFace Princeton Reverb
7. Vibroverb AB (again) -- there is a last/third amp clip here is NO SPKR Compression on the XL, just as example.

Interesting exercise!

Last edited:
I was messing with Speaker Comp today and I hear changes but still struggling to figure out what is best with my setup, tones, etc. When I lower it with the FRFR high gain presets, it seems to get clearer, more crisp and louder. When I turn it up, it is more fluid sounding and smoother but volume goes down a bit and not as clear. I guess that is why "3" is kind of the sweet spot. Good balance between everything going on.

I power my axe fx threw my carvin vai legacy 3 I feel this firmware has significantly improved my tone on my favorite preset before I updated I saved my 4 main presets to my computer and then cleared the presets off the unit and restored system parmiters
When I put my energy ball preset on I was amazed
I don’t no if I’m right but I always felt the speaker page was influencing my tone threw my amp in an unfriendly way adding muffled lows
All that seems to be gone and more spongy response and articulation threw the amp

I agree. All your periods seem to be gone.

Manopause.... ;-)

Today I tested Firmware Q9.0 installed on my Axe-Fx XL versus the Firmware 8.02 installed on my AX8, using seven random amp+speaker only presets (chosen from the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack).

Used same presets from each unit/matched exactly. Here are the soundclip results comparing them.

For each amp, the AX8 and FW 8.02 is first heard, and the XL is second heard, with same amp model and roughly same riff/lick. Guitar is through A/B box. Used both Fractal's SP/DIF output1s into DAW running Logic to record everything (no other processing).

The only preset adjustment I did was to set the SPKR COMP on the FW9 XL for each of the sevens amp's presest to a value of 5.0 (after some trial and error, based on how close it sounded to the AX8 FW 8.02 version to do that to me) and to raise the amp block LEVEL a little to compensate for any volume loss due to added SPKR compression.

What to raise the LEVEL by, did vary by amp -- trying to get the XL fader signal register same volume as the AX8 channel fader signal (showing averaging -12db) to avoid Mr. Fletcher Munson curve tricking my ears... Played and listened to everything at 92db loudness (it makes a difference than lower level which seems to blur the preset firmware tonal differences rather than exaggerate them).

To me, not surprisingly, the two firmwares do make the presets sound different EQ wise/--not exactly the same.

1. Hook 2b
2. Freidman Small Box
3. Vox AC15
4. Plexi 100 Jumped
5. Vibroverb AB
7. Vibroverb AB (again) -- there is a last/third amp clip here is NO SPKR Compression on the XL, just as example.

Interesting exercise!

Thats a fantastic demo :)
I just ran the s/cloud clip into my CLR up at loud gig levels. For what its worth, I dont have an AX8 - I have an XL which I gig with 50 / 50 [ with a Helix - but not simultaneously :) ] - my XL has been rolled-back to FW 5 or 6 [from memory] ..... for total transparency, Ive loaded and tried 7, 8 and 9 [betas and finals] and whilst I *initially* thought I preferred them, they just didnt "stick" to my ears ..... simply put, they just seem to be getting "too nice"

With these 2 comparisons, I preferred the the "first" run of clips - that was the AX8 on 8.02 (?) ...... either way, the "second" run of clips were just "too pretty" ..... :)

Having said that ..... * if * I were just using the Axe at home for my own personal "ear pleasure" I would probably prefer the 2nd run of clips.

For live / with band / gigging however, the first run -to my ears- cuts and sits better.

Not saying its night and day or anything like that -and as always- everyones ears hear the same thing differnently ..... but thats how I "see-ear" it :)

Regarldess though, this was a great comparative demo - thanks for doing it :)

Ben

1. Hook 2b
2. Freidman Small Box
3. Vox AC15
4. Plexi 100 Jumped
5. Vibroverb AB

Interesting exercise!

Hey @austinbuddy , The differences could also be (at least partially) because of the different devices used?

When I was porting over my Axe-Fx presets for the AX8, I was A/B'ing them and there was a slight difference between them. Even with the exact same blocks and settings (except the Amp block 'Level' parameter, which isn't scaled the same). I even bypassed everything but the Amp and Cab blocks to make sure.

The modeling is supposed to be identical, but my testing shows that this is not the case. Very close. but some subtle differences. I believe the the AX8 runs similar to the 'standard res' mode of the Axe-Fx when using two Amp blocks?

Hey @austinbuddy , The differences could also be (at least partially) because of the different devices used?

When I was porting over my Axe-Fx presets for the AX8, I was A/B'ing them and there was a slight difference between them. Even with the exact same blocks and settings (except the Amp block 'Level' parameter, which isn't scaled the same). I even bypassed everything but the Amp and Cab blocks to make sure.

The modeling is supposed to be identical, but my testing shows that this is not the case. Very close. but some subtle differences. I believe the the AX8 runs similar to the 'standard res' mode of the Axe-Fx when using two Amp blocks?

Hi Moke:

Yes, I think this is possible... Even before this firmware in my own testing, the AX8 actually sounded a little "better" to me than the XL does, -- it may be the AX8 has better S/N ratio or other component stuff, I don't know -- it is newer. So you may be right.

Nonetheless, right now I prefer the sound FW 8.02 to 9 myself on the whole -- even though the new SPKR COMP is dope, turn it up and turn the volume up a few db to compensate. Over time I'll sure I'll figure out how to dial in FW9 and be happy with it too.

Last edited:
I was messing with Speaker Comp today and I hear changes but still struggling to figure out what is best with my setup, tones, etc. When I lower it with the FRFR high gain presets, it seems to get clearer, more crisp and louder. When I turn it up, it is more fluid sounding and smoother but volume goes down a bit and not as clear. I guess that is why "3" is kind of the sweet spot. Good balance between everything going on.

YES - the key is, turn up the SPKR COMP to what you like as effect, THEN you MUST turn up the amp LEVEL control a few db to compensate for the db loss you got when you increased Speaker compression -- there is a relationship between the two.

I actually like it at 5.0, but need the LEVL up 1 or 2 or 3db depending on the individual amp. The db "Gain" meter on the bottom of the front panel for SPKR COMP gives you the clue you need -- if that is showing up as -2db, then turn up your level 2db and see - that is the "make up gain."

IWhen I lower it with the FRFR high gain presets, it seems to get clearer, more crisp and louder.
"Louder" is the major source of "clearer" and "more crisp." As @austinbuddy says, when you add compression, you have to make up the gain. That's why many studio compressors have a Makeup Gain control.

I guess that is why "3" is kind of the sweet spot.
3 Is the conservative default value that Fractal chose. It's not necessarily the sweet spot for any given tone.

I have looked and looked and can not find this speaker compression setting. I see a motor drive setting in the tab that spkr drv but i cant find anything else in axe edit that comes close to this. Or is this setting not in axe edit?

I have looked and looked and can not find this speaker compression setting. I see a motor drive setting in the tab that spkr drv but i cant find anything else in axe edit that comes close to this. Or is this setting not in axe edit?

There is no compatible Axe-Edit for FW 9 yet - usually comes within a week or two of firmware release.

You have to look on the front panel, page 4 I think of amp block.

Updating firmware does not update Axe Edit. The new Spkr Comp will likely be available upon the next AE update. Til then, use the panel of your Axe Fx. ;)

Ok, maybe this is a simple question, but why do we want speaker compression? And this happens in the real word amps and cabinets?

Back
Top Bottom