Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.00 Firmware Release

Yes it´s sounds muddy - on the first impression. And it has got less Volume, I have to increase 1dB.
But the speakcomp helps a lot for the response/feeling, especially with clean/chrunchy tones. I like it!
I’ll give that a try, only tried it with higher gain tones.

I don't have that impression at all. Maybe if you're a high gainer that needs to be very tight; this has a really nice effect on all my tones.
Yes it´s sounds muddy - on the first impression. And it has got less Volume, I have to increase 1dB.
But the speakcomp helps a lot for the response/feeling, especially with clean/chrunchy tones. I like it!
I like the new firmware, I’ll try those settings with clean/ crunchy tones.

So.. I am probably out of action for 4-6 weeks with a bad case of tendonitis. So my plan to get to learn the ins and outs of Q9 is to use some di's in the looper. Thanks to FAS for the continued work and updates on the incredible instrument. Any other thoughts on things to do to keep me guitar/music involved...?
Sorry to hear it. Been there. Do non-guitar music stuff to stay engaged. Here are things that help me... Work on interval ear training. Listen to all-new genres (if you're a metal guy, listen to neo-soul). Re-amp old tracks if you have recordings and see if you can change dynamics with effects and parameters you've avoided before. Clean up your pile of cables (we all have piles of cables, right?). Hang your guitars on wall hangers so you play them all, not just one or two. Best wishes on the tendinitis.

I also find Q9 overall nicer or smoother than Q8.02, and that's good for some sounds. The question is how to unnice some wicked sounds? Any idea?

I also find Q9 overall nicer or smoother than Q8.02, and that's good for some sounds. The question is how to unnice some wicked sounds? Any idea?
I would say it’s still going to be your Transformer Match parameter. It directly interacts with the speaker, poweramp & Master Volume, as does the new Speaker Compression parameter. So they’re both interacting within the same areas. Transformer Match is a mighty powerful parameter as well; Increasing the value the power tubes clip sooner. “Decreasing causes the power tubes to clip later, the phase inverter & grid clipping become more predominant, and the speaker resonance will be more pronounced. You also reduce the power tube compression of the lows & highs.”

Today I tested Firmware Q9.0 installed on my Axe-Fx XL versus the Firmware 8.02 installed on my AX8, using seven random amp+speaker only presets (chosen from the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack).

Used same presets from each unit/matched exactly. Here are the soundclip results comparing them.

For each amp, the AX8 and FW 8.02 is first heard, and the XL is second heard, with same amp model and roughly same riff/lick. Guitar is through A/B box. Used both Fractal's SP/DIF output1s into DAW running Logic to record everything (no other processing).

The only preset adjustment I did was to set the SPKR COMP on the FW9 XL for each of the sevens amp's presest to a value of 5.0 (after some trial and error, based on how close it sounded to the AX8 FW 8.02 version to do that to me) and to raise the amp block LEVEL a little to compensate for any volume loss due to added SPKR compression.

What to raise the LEVEL by, did vary by amp -- trying to get the XL fader signal register same volume as the AX8 channel fader signal (showing averaging -12db) to avoid Mr. Fletcher Munson curve tricking my ears... Played and listened to everything at 92db loudness (it makes a difference than lower level which seems to blur the preset firmware tonal differences rather than exaggerate them).

To me, not surprisingly, the two firmwares do make the presets sound different EQ wise/--not exactly the same.

Thoughts? Do you prefer one over the other?

1. Hook 2b
2. Freidman Small Box
3. Vox AC15
4. Plexi 100 Jumped
5. Vibroverb AB
6. BlackFace Princeton Reverb
7. Vibroverb AB (again) -- there is a last/third amp clip here is NO SPKR Compression on the XL, just as example.

Interesting exercise!

Thanks for doing this comparison Buddy, it's really great to hear the versions back to back. I hope the platform isn't playing too much into it as Moke mentioned. I had posted in your original Naked Amps thread that these were so good, and widely used for a jump off point, they would become the litmus test for new Firmware updates and it seems they work great in that regard.

In your samples, I like the first test better in every amp. It sounds more present and in your face where the second sounds distant and less detailed. I was hoping I would like the very last one with Q9 settings at 0, but it's just not the same. I'm hoping there are adjustments that get back that open presence we hear on the first sample but I wouldn't know where to begin, I always just begin with the naked presets. :)

Please please, keep these A/B tests going as we move forward, I think they are gold. (Even if it's in another thread #Moderator)

Thanks Buddy!

I actually like it at 5.0, but need the LEVL up 1 or 2 or 3db depending on the individual amp. The db "Gain" meter on the bottom of the front panel for SPKR COMP gives you the clue you need -- if that is showing up as -2db, then turn up your level 2db and see - that is the "make up gain."

Ahhh, good to know! Thanks! Yeah definitely a cool feature (as is everything Cliff does) but just trying to figure it all out.

Today I tested Firmware Q9.0 installed on my Axe-Fx XL versus the Firmware 8.02 installed on my AX8, using seven random amp+speaker only presets (chosen from the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack).

Used same presets from each unit/matched exactly. Here are the soundclip results comparing them.

For each amp, the AX8 and FW 8.02 is first heard, and the XL is second heard, with same amp model and roughly same riff/lick. Guitar is through A/B box. Used both Fractal's SP/DIF output1s into DAW running Logic to record everything (no other processing).

The only preset adjustment I did was to set the SPKR COMP on the FW9 XL for each of the sevens amp's presest to a value of 5.0 (after some trial and error, based on how close it sounded to the AX8 FW 8.02 version to do that to me) and to raise the amp block LEVEL a little to compensate for any volume loss due to added SPKR compression.

What to raise the LEVEL by, did vary by amp -- trying to get the XL fader signal register same volume as the AX8 channel fader signal (showing averaging -12db) to avoid Mr. Fletcher Munson curve tricking my ears... Played and listened to everything at 92db loudness (it makes a difference than lower level which seems to blur the preset firmware tonal differences rather than exaggerate them).

To me, not surprisingly, the two firmwares do make the presets sound different EQ wise/--not exactly the same.

1. Hook 2b
2. Freidman Small Box
3. Vox AC15
4. Plexi 100 Jumped
5. Vibroverb AB
7. Vibroverb AB (again) -- there is a last/third amp clip here is NO SPKR Compression on the XL, just as example.

Interesting exercise!

Sounds to me like the 8.02 had a little more low mid and a little less high somewhere compared to 9. I like the new changes. 9 sounds very lively. Thanks Austin Buddy!

Wonder if an A/B comparision of the newly tweaked factory presets for 8.02 would behave the same as the TonePack does with 9.0? Guess there is no way around the fact that you have to know and learn how to tweak if want to get the most out of the firmware updates. Not so easy for those who are not that familiar with most of these amps and don't have a sonic target in mind to shoot for.

Are there any audible changes to Amp modelling in comparison to the beta?

I didn't install the beta.. had a gig, and I don't trust changing firmwares before a show. I reset the amp block, and made sure the cab didn't have the drive on, and it's flubbier, muddier.. best I can describe. will mess with it more tonight when I get home... damn you Walking Dead ;)

1. Hook 2b
2. Freidman Small Box
3. Vox AC15
4. Plexi 100 Jumped
5. Vibroverb AB

Interesting exercise!

Thank You for this comparison ,Exellent! Seems adding speaker comp to 5 on v9 would produce quite a difference, turning both motor drive (AX8) and speaker comp (XL) to 0 would produce a more accurate comparison ?
Some of the differences I hear is , Less gain on v9(XL) clips , less lows(warmth).[/

Thx for the comparison Austin. The Q9 amps definitely sound less present and more polished. I suspect 5 is much higher than ideal for the new spkr comp. also I wonder if less would be better for live presets where more volume is expected and the FRFR speakers will be doing a small amount of real world compressing, well that and cutting through the mix is desired. Cliff also mentioned the spkr comp interacts with the master vol so might be prudent to reset that by ear on mv models.

I went back to 8.02. I adjusted everything and it just sounds better to me on the older firmware. Its not as tight. I see I am not the only one on this. Well hopefully someone can come up with a way to make it sound tight again because no matter how I adjusted the compression versus volume the tone is not the same.

Cliff also mentioned the spkr comp interacts with the master vol so might be prudent to reset that by ear on mv models.
It also interacts with the presence and depth as the Master is turned up. So the more it “kicks in” the more compressed that sparkle & thunk is going to be..
So another thing to kind of keep in mind here is that, (especially with non MV amps) is that we are not, in most cases, getting the full brunt of how loud these amps would be cranking when we are virtually opening them up in the comfort of our home or studio.
I think a good rule of thumb would be to always use the meter associated with the Speaker Compression to see where you are actually at when setting it as Master Volume definitely effects it & 5 in some cases may be too much, but in others you may want a little more, (as with non MV amps & a low MV setting).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom