Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.02 Firmware Release

Axe-Fx II Quantum Firmware Release Notes

Improved Motor Drive algorithm. New algorithm more accurately models the compression of guitar loudspeakers by factoring in the reactive aspects of the compression.

The Motor Drive simulation is available in both the Amp block and Cab block now. It is recommended to use the simulation in the Amp block when using an FRFR configuration as the Amp block simulation uses the speaker resonance information in the calculations whereas the Cabinet block uses fixed values. When using a conventional guitar cab, or a hybrid configuration with monitoring via a conventional guitar cab and speaker emulation to FOH, the Motor Drive in the Cabinet block can be used instead. The simulation in the Amp block also has the advantage of being independent of the block’s output Level control.

Gain monitoring of the Motor Drive is available on the MIX page of the Cabinet Block and the PWR DYN page of the Amp block. In the case of the Amp block the monitoring is available when the Motor Drive parameter is selected. Note that typical guitar speakers have around 3-6 dB of compression when driven hard with American speakers being on the low end of that range and British speakers being on the high end. Some speakers can exhibit even more compression than this with compression amounts of 8 dB or more depending upon the magnetic materials used and the construction of the speaker motor.

The thermal time constant of the virtual voice coil is adjustable using the “Motor Time Const” parameter. Typical guitar speakers are anywhere from 0.05 to 1.0 seconds depending upon the mass of the voice coil and the materials used.

Improved Amp block output compressor. New algorithm is more musical and reacts faster to transients. If you are using this in your presets it is recommended to audition your presets and readjust as necessary. The Gain Reduction meter now shows the total gain including the makeup gain.

Added Input Diffusion to Multitap block Band Delay, Quad Series, Plex Delay, Plex Detune and Plex Shift types.

Fixed Optical and Pedal compressors output level dependent upon Ratio parameter of Studio type. If using these types in existing presets the presets should be auditioned to ensure the volume is correct.

Fixed switching between Optical compressor types can cause brief level drop.

The thermal time constant of the virtual voice coil is adjustable using the “Motor Time Const” parameter. Typical guitar speakers are anywhere from 0.05 to 1.0 seconds depending upon the mass of the voice coil and the materials used.

Is the default same as 7.02 beta?

When using a conventional guitar cab, or a hybrid configuration with monitoring via a conventional guitar cab and speaker emulation to FOH, the Motor Drive in the Cabinet block can be used instead.

I'm a bit confused by this statement...I must be misunderstanding something. I thought when you used a guitar cab., you should turn off cab. simulation (pg. 31 of the manual). Will the Motor Drive parameter in the Cabinet block still work?

I'm a bit confused by this statement...I must be misunderstanding something. I thought when you used a guitar cab., you should turn off cab. simulation (pg. 31 of the manual). Will the Motor Drive parameter in the Cabinet block still work?
Yes, it'll still work.

The idea is that, if you're using a real cab, you'll probably want to have Motor Drive turned off, because your real cab has real motor drive going on. If you use the Motor Drive parameter in the Cab block, you can have it off for your feed to your real cab, but on for your FOH feed.

Back
Top Bottom