Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.01 Firmware Release

Any compressor setting recommendations for clean finger picking tone (a la Mark Knopfler)?

To be honest, I get my best Mark Knopfler sound (Les Paul era) with a very odd amp - if you have a Les Paul, try the VOX AC15 with gain around 3 - 5 (to taste), cab 119, and increase the Output Comp in the Amp block to about 3 for that perfect amount of squish he has. Then you get those silky beautiful smooth tones he gets out of his Les Paul. And just increate the gain on the amp for his Heavy Fuel or Money for Nothing sounds.

I haven't tried the same with the new compressors yet but will be trying them out soon, so this is just my current/old way of getting that sound. Sounds amazing on the neck pup.

I've tried last night the 1968 Superlead Plexi Preset which Cliff gave us in the Fractal Forum Thread to the FW Rev 7.01. I did not tweak and did 3 takes. 1. the preset as it is, 2. with the new Shimmer Drive added and 3. With an additional Optical Compression on the beginning of the chain - sound awesome.

Edit: You'll find the preset in post #58. ;)

I find the midrange around 1.5K to be especially pleasing in Q7.

My litmus test is my NS10's. They basically bark around that frequency. Now, with Q7, they actually sound quite good with the Fractal direct. Very noticeable improvement.

Love the new shimmer drive. It has completely replaced the 808mod in all of my patches. At about 3 on the drive knob, it does what the 808mod on 0 did for me, but with WAY better definition in the highs. The 808mod could sometimes get a bit harsh, or clouded on the highs, but this is perfect. Can't wait to try it with the whole band.

I've tried last night the 1968 Superlead Plexi Preset which Cliff gave us in the Fractal Forum Thread to the FW Rev 7.01. I did not tweak and did 3 takes. 1. the preset as it is, 2. with the new Shimmer Drive added and 3. With an additional Optical Compression on the beginning of the chain - sound awesome.

Edit: You'll find the preset in post #58. ;)

Sounds great BTW is this preset avail for AX8
Or can anyone covert it

Just to say Thank You Cliff, as a 20+ year RF engineer modelling and verifying amplifier non-linearities for the commercial power amplifier world I appreciate your dedication to your modelling results at these frequencies, As of this firmware I have now decided it is time to mothball my two original Marshall stacks of years 1969 and 1972 as this is on a higher level both sonically and practically ( no more biasing and valve replacement,etc).
Thank you for the accuracy in the inter-modulation distortion, whether by spice, harmonic balance or the "Cliff method"
Dr G, PhD RF electronics

Hey, that's great to hear! I have Motor Drive somewhere between 1.00 and 1.50 on most of my patches.
Really looking forward to check out the new algorithm.

...And yet you perpetuate the discussion while opining that a differing perspective is "silly." There are a number of great musicians who use the Axe-Fx that enjoyed the option of using other FW because one can rarely get the EXACT tone from a newer set of algorithms (and when this IS possible it rarely happens quickly). As I recall, owners of older models (e.g. Mark II) were the most outspoken because they felt they would be left out in the cold when new changes were offered via future updates. This is my last take on this issue as the Creator has made his decision and I will continue to use this wonderful product. I will also be the first in line to purchase his newest creation whenever he chooses to make the release. However, I will never resort to sycophancy as many on this forum so unbecomingly demonstrate or denigrate another's opinion when it is offered sincerely and respectfully.

A differing perspective isn't generally silly!
I respect different kinds of opinions all the time!

Especially this discussion is needless in my opinion.
Nothing more ;-)
It's OK, if someone is unhappy, not to have the option to switch back.
But I would prefer more Boot-ROM-storage instead of it.
That only makes sense as I think.

Kind regards
Mike

I don't think one can be told thanks enough for hard work, one more for the shimmer. You can really get some hair on it with that drive. So thanks FAS

i'm assuming you really didn't buy an XL+ simply for the ability to roll back FW. I was using the feature as well because even with 7 i liked certain amps better on 4 but it's gone, i've made some adjustments, my ears have adjusted as well, i love it, not sad about losing the modeling version parameter. onward...
A differing perspective isn't generally silly!
I respect different kinds of opinions all the time!

Especially this discussion is needless in my opinion.
Nothing more ;-)
It's OK, if someone is unhappy, not to have the option to switch back.
But I would prefer more Boot-ROM-storage instead of it.
That only makes sense as I think.

Kind regards
Mike
"Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in." I believe that something was lost in translation. My quote regarding "silly" was in reference to the term used by another to describe my opinion. However, I agree with your sentiment that this discussion has gone on for long enough. I apologize for ruffling the sycophants' alter of worship. I found the solution to my personal difficulty with the new FW - I just purchased another Axe-Fx XL+! Now I can use that one for the current FW and all future upgrades and utilize my other XL+ for the ability to change to previous modeling versions "on the fly." Bring on the slings and arrows but remember this: I am supporting FAS via my monies not some fatuous, hollow, meaningless and gratuitous accolades spewed from the mouths of fawning acolytes.

Ok.....warming up for attending tonight's ZZ TOP performance in Miami Beach... I played along with some Top tracks with with my 7.01supercharged Plexi preset, and was able to proudly keep up with Billy's vaunted toan with 0 effort....Lifes been good to me so far...(J. Walsh)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom