Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.01 Firmware Release

I don't often post on here. More a reader than a contributor but the Quantum 7 release, to me, is a HUGE improvement. I use my AXE 2 with a Power Station and it sounds absolutely sublime with Q7.

It sounds like something game changing has taken place.

FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T LOADED YET FW Rev 7.01
Comparing the Studio Comp, Optical 1 and 2 Comp aswell as TS808 with the Shimmer Drive with the Mr.Z preset in the Axe FX II in this order:
1)Studio Comp; 2)Optical Comp 1; 3)Optical Comp 2; 4)TS808; 5)Shimmer Drive; 6)Studio Comp+TS808; 7)Optical Comp 1+Shimmer Drive; 8)Optical Comp 2+Shimmer Drive.
As I don't know how Reamp with Reaper (WDW?) did I try to play always the same riff. Recorded into Reaper. Each Clip with the same settings just changed the Comp and/or Drive in the block. Don't mind the sloppy playing.

Edit: It's much more noticeable in the room, especially for the feel than you hear on my recording. Tomorrow I'll look forward playing it loud at gig volume.;)

Last edited:
Anyone having trouble trying to decide which ax unit to play with after all the updates? I'm going back and forth with the Ax8 and the AxeFxII and there are all these new toys to play with! THANKS!

Great surprise! String change time, to fully experience what optical driving is like. Versus flying compression blindly, using a cane to find the curb, aka threshold.

A lot of the time when Cliff does something it bumps me towards a learning curve, (since I did not know about optical compressors and this is no exception).

"There are no rules as to what type of compression you should use for specific amps, guitars or musical styles. It all comes down to taste but I would recommend transistor units for single coils and finger picking and optical units for humbuckers and if you’re using a lot of gain pedals."

Anyone, does the above make sense, from Gilmourish.com? (I have a split on my pickups, so I can switch between series/parallel, but does a single coil really not benefit as much from optical compressors for some reason, and if so, what is that reason - I know, I know, I should read more of the site but its spring and the flowers beckon me outside) ___ http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=7130

Great surprise! String change time, to fully experience what optical driving is like. Versus flying compression blindly, using a cane to find the curb, aka threshold.

A lot of the time when Cliff does something it bumps me towards a learning curve, (since I did not know about optical compressors and this is no exception).

"There are no rules as to what type of compression you should use for specific amps, guitars or musical styles. It all comes down to taste but I would recommend transistor units for single coils and finger picking and optical units for humbuckers and if you’re using a lot of gain pedals."

Anyone, does the above make sense, from Gilmourish.com? (I have a split on my pickups, so I can switch between series/parallel, but does a single coil really not benefit as much from optical compressors for some reason, and if so, what is that reason - I know, I know, I should read more of the site but its spring and the flowers beckon me outside) ___ http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=7130

Optical seems to be used to enhance without being prominent and transistor unit adding slightly structure or a pumping effect if used quite hard imho. Single Coils have a more percussive Attack in my ears that would benefit from the fast acceleration of that effect.

I can't disagree more! Gilmour himself used prominently a demeter compulator and recently an effectrode PC-2A with a strat.
Just finished to try the new comps and optical 1 is unbelievably freaking fantastic with my strat! I decided instantly I won't use any comp other than this in all my patches :D

Last edited:
Very unexpected, this.

Okay now, this is why I shouldn't check threads like this at work. At first, I was
surprise_spock.jpg

Then I was
surprise_kirk.jpg

Now I'm on lunch break. I'm stuck here at work for at least another 4 hours, but I'm walking around with this stupid grin plastered on my face, and nobody knows why.
surprise_mccoy.jpg

Fantastic new comps, really great tone shaping tool with the instrument/line level options for pre/post use. Between these and the preamp in the cab block, in addition to all the other tone shaping tools, one can get nearly a finished recording coming straight out of the output jack of the Axe, very cool

How about that 'Brick" patch you demo'd the compressor on ? That patch sounded spot on album tone. All I need is your patch, my goldtop, and some borrowed chops.....

Fantastic new comps, really great tone shaping tool with the instrument/line level options for pre/post use. Between these and the preamp in the cab block, in addition to all the other tone shaping tools, one can get nearly a finished recording coming straight out of the output jack of the Axe, very cool

How about that 'Brick" patch you demo'd the compressor on ? That patch sounded spot on album tone. All I need is your patch, my goldtop, and some borrowed chops.....

I didn't save the patch unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom