Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.00 Firmware Release

Nothing wrong with picking something that works for you. That's the point of having so many options. That said, have you even bothered trying an OD in front? As noted, they are well known for being 'loose' with nothing else in the signal path (google mesa rectifier loose gain). All this hype you have heard about them is likely regarding tones recorded/performed with an OD to condition the signal, etc. This is all many people need with one in real life... maybe it'll help you see what the fuss is all about; maybe you just don't like them.

The main thing to me personally is that the models are accurate and that we have enough to choose from to get where we want. Even if that accuracy means it does something we don't prefer because that may be just what someone else is looking for and there are plenty of choices in the box.

Yeah, in my original post I said I had gotten it to sound decent with a lot of advanced tweaks plus Drive in front and PEQ after but my point was, why go through all that when you can get (IMO) a better tone from other amps without all the fuss? Speaking for myself only, I just don't see the point of going through all that trouble when you can just pick an amp that has the tone you want already there and ready to go with minimal tweaking. For me, the ENGL Savage, 5150 III Red and CarolAnn Triptik Modern are my go-to amps. I have yet to dive into the Diezel, Bogner or Cornford models but I have heard they are good as well. Then again, I am a high-gain metal only player so all of the myriad host of Fender Deluxe this and that are lost on me as well!

Doesn't this defeat taking advantage of the "new" modeling algorithms ? If you're superimposing the Q6 settings into the Q7 modeling, I don't think you're getting the benefit of the enhancements ?

Am I missing something here ?

You're missing something here.

If you use the same settings for an amp from Q6 and put them on the same amp in Q7, they will sound different. There are lots of under the hood changes with the modeling and different default settings in some cases. This is all assuming you've reset the amp block, of course.

You're missing something here.

If you use the same settings for an amp from Q6 and put them on the same amp in Q7, they will sound different. There are lots of under the hood changes with the modeling and different default settings in some cases. This is all assuming you've reset the amp block, of course.
Yup, that's why there was a switch for modeling version put in the XL/XL+ some of the changes involve new defaults but some are parameters not exposed to end users. AFAIK.

Yeah, in my original post I said I had gotten it to sound decent with a lot of advanced tweaks plus Drive in front and PEQ after but my point was, why go through all that when you can get (IMO) a better tone from other amps without all the fuss? Speaking for myself only, I just don't see the point of going through all that trouble when you can just pick an amp that has the tone you want already there and ready to go with minimal tweaking. For me, the ENGL Savage, 5150 III Red and CarolAnn Triptik Modern are my go-to amps. I have yet to dive into the Diezel, Bogner or Cornford models but I have heard they are good as well. Then again, I am a high-gain metal only player so all of the myriad host of Fender Deluxe this and that are lost on me as well!

Fair enough. I certainly see your point and respect your opinon. But for me, what I'm looking for isn't really possible with any other amp, and I play super heavy stuff as well (similar to Deftones, Helmet, Sevendust). Maybe other amps are tighter or more aggressive or whatever, but it's just not the tool I need. I've done lots of blind tests and keep coming back to boosted Rectifiers. Maybe later in life I'll wanna branch out and try other sounds but for right now I'm where I need to be.

Understand that I'm not trying to argue that you're wrong, just that it's all a matter of preference. All my favorite guitar tones growing up were Mesa amps (Incubus/311/Dream Theater) so it's like my brain thinks that's how guitar is supposed to sound. Sure, I could use a 5150 or an ENGL or whatever, but that's not my sound. :D

Cliff, I noticed on my go to amp which is the Angle severe 1 that before I reset it by switching to another amp and back that the PI Bias shift is at 25 but after resetting it that it defaults to 75. My question is has the setting changed that much to be more authentic or is the 75 equivalent to the old 25 setting?

EDIT - MY Numbers were backwards. It's 75 and after resetting it it is 25.

Last edited:
Thanks Cliff for the regular updates !!!
It's incredible !!!
Is there any hope for the appearance of the Boss HM-2 model ???
Please make this a reality !!!!

Hey, fantastic. I was just checking out what I am using and then put factory cab #60 in the "y" so I could flip between the two. I usually always use Stereo Ultra Res cab combos & I have a ton of Cab Packs. So, anyway, I am using a combo of a Carol Ann Scholz from the OBOT Cab Pack and a 4x12 Green Back, (which I'm not sure which Cab Pack it came from) it was done with a SM57 as opposed to the M160 that the Factory Cab #60 has, but very similar sounding, and I think I like the factory better.
So, what I did was made the "y" side also Stereo Ultra Res & added Factory Cab #121 1x12 Triptik Mix, (as I believe it is the same exact cab) to Factory #60 and I prefer the two Factory cabs. The tone is similar, but these two Factory Cabs together have better "focus" for lack of a better word. Little better string to string definition & I feel like I can tell better the location of the sound sonically, if that makes sense.
So, thanks for sharing that cab choice with the Hot Kitty. Sounds killer with Green Backs.
Sounds fantastic with just those, you can try adding in the Scholz with #121. It ended up in that patch mainly cause my main amp is the Carol Ann OD2 & I wandered off with the new firmware checking out different amps and the Hot Kitty was one I wanted to spend a little time with. And I am glad I did.

Nice... thanks for all this info. Definitely try the Greenbacks....and have another look at the OD2. Cheers mate.

absolutely. reset the amp and then just move back the basic stuff you've touched - master volume, pres, speaker low res freq, input trim etc. leave all the other advanced stuff, because the new default values will be more accurate

Yes.
I now have a lot of working presets, so when doing this last time for the beta, I had to pay attention to the following parameters: Master volume, presence, bright/cut/fat switches, and the GEQ section. That's quite a lot of stuff all on its own. Other than that I don't tend to mess with other advanced settings anymore, because a: there is less need to, and b: I know I'd have to remember what I did in the event of firmware update/reset. Having to remember all those intricacies across 75+ presets is quite a task, so it's best not to bother.

After a few days with FW 7, I am finding it easier than ever to get a great tone. In the past I have struggled with all the Mesa models. It would literally take me an hour of fiddling to get one to sound ok. I had pretty much abandoned them for other models. Last night I said to myself - self, lets try these Mesa models again in FW 7. I don't know what was done to them - but wow - within 5-10 minutes I was getting great tones I could never achieve before. I don't use a cab block as I use a real cab - but man, all I really did is lower some bass and mids - get the nice "V" going in the GEQ page - done son.
It makes me more excited to try many other models I haven't checked out yet. Very very happy customer !

I don't think I tried this in the Beta, but I loaded a Brit 800 and put a PI fuzz in front of it. Until now, for some reason, whenever I've tried working with the PI Fuzz, it has always sounded "duddy". I usually try things with fresh strings, and I usually tailor the bandwidth on my drives, and I did do attempting to dial in the PI Fuzz (to no avail) in the past. This time however, with Q7, by selecting a band of between 400 and a 1k or 1.5k = great sound. Its not so spectacular as to become my all time favorite fuzz, but in researching Gilmour I had come upon the data that he used it for certain things, so I thought it was strange that in the Axe FX it was so challenging.

I am curious, does anyone have a similar experience, and more importantly, is there a reason for this PP (possibly placebo) improvement?

Speaking of placebo, I noticed yesterday that this firmware is so successful that there is now a site linked by Quack Watch, called Quantum 7 Fractal Watch, so be comfortable that there are currently numerous fake news police spying on our "hallucinations". Early April Fools - Just kidding.

Speaking of placebo, I noticed yesterday that this firmware is so successful that there is now a site linked by Quack Watch, called Quantum 7 Fractal Watch, so be comfortable that there are currently numerous fake news police spying on our "hallucinations". Early April Fools - Just kidding.

This is particularly hilarious, given that the top of www.fractalaudio.com still says "TOP NEWS: Quantum 6 Firmware released!"

Back
Top Bottom