Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 5.00 Public Beta

Just want to say how much I am enjoying the last 2 updates. I love the Hook and the drive changes, everything is just sounding incredibly good right now. I am so happy that you were able to fit this update on the Mark 1 and Mark II, it would have been a travesty to not be able to enjoy these latest updates.

Much appreciation for whatever you guys did to get Q5 to work on the Mk I/II. And if this is the end of the road for that dev cycle, so be it. I've gotten SO much more from this unit than I could've ever wanted. Maybe I'll upgrade someday; but really I would've been totally content if you had stopped at FW7 five years ago ;-)

Thanks for another update. Honestly, If there were no other updates ever I would still be happy for many years. I have had my AXE for 4 months and feel like I haven't scratched to surface. I have yet to find an unusable preset and whenever I find a favorite sound, it is only for a couple of days until I find a new favorite sound.

Banged my head again and when I came around...

Mark I/II:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/Quantum/5.0/axefx2_Quantum_5p00beta.syx

XL:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/Quantum/5.0/axefx2_xl_Quantum_5p00beta.syx

XL+:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/Quantum/5.0/axefx2_xlplus_Quantum_5p00beta.syx

Release Notes:

Improved preamp tube modeling for tubes driving cathode followers. In models that use cathode followers this results in warmer distortion with smoother decay. The shape of the cathode follower distortion can be adjusted with the new “CF Hardness” parameter found on the Advanced tab in the Amp block.

Added “Legato 100” amp model based on a certain famous Carvin Legacy 100.

Added “Capt Hook” amp models based on a Hook Captain Classic 34. This amp uses a mu follower which yields a complex distortion with smooth decay. There are six models:

1. Capt Hook 1A: Channel 1 w/ EQ and Boost switches off.
2. Capt Hook 1B: Channel 1 w/ EQ and Boost switches on.
3. Capt Hook 2A: Channel 2 with Edge switch off.
4. Capt Hook 2B: Channel 2 with Edge switch on.
5. Capt Hook 3A: Channel 3 with Edge switch off.
6. Capt Hook 3B: Channel 3 with Edge switch on.

Improved diode clipping algorithms in Drive block. As a result the following Drive models have been rematched:

o Rat Dist
o Super OD
o T808 OD
o T808 MOD
o Plus Dist
o Esoteric ACB
o Esoteric RCB
o Zen Master

Fixed tone stack error in Recto 2 amp models.

Changed Presence knob taper in Recto1 Norm and Recto2 Vntg models to match actual amps.

Changed behavior of Amp block’s Preamp Comp when set to “Ideal” so that compression amount is roughly the same as when set to “Authentic”. If you are using the Ideal setting on a preset you may need to increase the Preamp Comp parameter value.

NOTES:

1. This update will NOT change the sound of existing presets as the amp modeling version will automatically be set to the version when the preset was created. To use the new amp modeling set the Modeling Version parameter in the Amp block to “Latest”. When selecting new amp models the Modeling Version will be set according to the Default Modeling Version in the Global menu.

2. Due to space limitations in the Mark I/II BOOTROM this firmware is not backwards compatible with presets created prior to firmware version 15.08. This limitation only exists for the Mark I/II. XL and XL+ still maintain backward compatibility.
Cliff for president...yeah....hurry there is still time.....:)

Actually no. The new modeling stuff pushed it over the limit. The Mark I/II build ended up being several thousand words larger than would fit in the bootrom.

Q5beta MK1/MK2:

GLOBAL CONFIG:
Default Modeling Version: Latest; Q4.xx; Q3.xx; Q2.04; Q2.01 ( = 5 versions selectable)

AMP BLOCK:
Advanced / Modeling Version: Latest; Q4.xx; Q3.xx; Q2.04; Q2.01; Q2.00 ( = 6 versions selectable)

Bug? Intended?

Simply the best customer service ever. Thousand thanks for keeping the Mark I/II spirit alive!

High end on the Marshall's is indeed smoother on this one, so I can turn the treble up to levels where it would've been too much on the earlier firmware. Also the power amp distortion seems to be a little lower on this one. Not sure if it sounds better on my current settings, but I'm sure I can compensate it if I want to. Sounds good so far!

+1

Radically different is right. There's definitely something wrong with the IIC++ model. I wouldn't say upper mids though, more like low mids/"mid" mids. When you select Latest, the amp model gets a lot darker and really raunchy sounding. It also gets a lot louder.

Oh well, guess I'll roll back to 4.01 beta until Cliff (hopefully) posts a bug fix.

You can just select the 4.0 modeling version on it in the 5 beta.

Thanks for those non-edge HOOK models Cliff! Like expected, the new models sound just like my real HOOK amp.. can't tell the difference in a blindfold test. I love the flexibility I have now of using the axe FX HOOK amps through USB right into Logic Pro. Also for re-amping, the Axe FX works flawlessly and I'm now re-amping some old recordings with the new HOOK models. Magic work Cliff!

I'm trying the drives right now and it seems an understatement to say they "dramatically" improved.. gorgeous!

Anyway I noticed something that could be a bug: when I engage a drive block I hear the sound being boosted and then it goes back to normal level after a tiny second. It happens even with axe edit paused

Sounds really better with the Mastervolume amps like Friedmann and Spawn, a faster, more compact ton, which sings like hell....

Like it very much - a betaversion, which everybody has to try......

Hope the final Q5 will have this sound............

Thank you FAS!

Loaded up Q5b and ready to explore ... such a great company and product. Always something cool to look forward to in the black box!

Back
Top Bottom