Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 5.00 Firmware Released

I mentioned this in the Q5.0b thread, I believe, but I'm definitely getting some sort of crackling or clipping that I wasn't getting with previous firmware versions. I'm using the same preset I've been using for a while, set to latest. CPU is at 74% and the clipping light is not coming on.

I also checked to see if there's static on the pick-guard and there isn't...don't hear anything if I stop playing and rub the pick-guard.

I'm using the following chain;

Strat -> FET Preamp -> Delay -> AC30TB -> Cab -> Reverb.

I tried bypassing the FET Preamp and I still get the same result.

Anyone else experiencing anything similar with Q5?

@Toopy14, do me a favor? Check your "harmonics" setting on your amp. Try it at 0 and see if the crackle goes away and let me know what amp you're using if it does go away.

I did a custom preset for someone a few weeks ago where we picked up a weird artifact with the harmonics knob being set in the 300's. I thought this may have been just a fluke so I held off reporting it. I tend to report things to FAS a little too fast when I find an issue and am trying to investigate more before opening my mouth.So if you have a setting on your harmonics knob, move to 0 and let me know if anything changes. If you're already at 0, disregard this message.

Absolutely loving this update!!! Thanks Cliff, I don't know who's crying happy tears more....my girl with the rock I just bought her or me for having killer firmware with awesome options that don't alter my tone! Even the drive blocks didn't affect me. Wow....stellar work! Thank you for all you do and most of all, for listening to us and always being a part of the community.

Is it normal for other settings to change like Harmonics and Preamp Bias when you switch to latest? Should I switch them back to what they were before or keep it at the new settings?

Is it normal for other settings to change like Harmonics and Preamp Bias when you switch to latest? Should I switch them back to what they were before or keep it at the new settings?

See how it sounds. The harmonics knob varies from amp to amp, but you should only see values in 2.01 and "latest". All the others will be set to 0.

That said, you can get some cool sounds while experimenting with this option. There is no right or wrong....it depends on whether or not you like what you hear.

My advice regarding that knob was in reference to an amp I was working with. The default for that amp was 0 and I upped it to 0.300. Upon doing that, it introduced a crackle that sounded like clipping when you would chug certain chords really tight. Reducing this value to 0 solved the problem in this particular amp.

What I'm hearing I wouldn't describe as distortion, it's more like a crackling sound or static. I'll try another set of headphones too.

I also think it could be related to the Harmonics setting, I have a JCM 800 patch that had static and crackling but it went away when I changed to latest I think because it move the Harmonics setting when I changed to latest.

While the Rectos etc. we're greatly improved will the Fenders and Voxes and alike get the same attention in a further update - FW 6.0 or so?

See how it sounds. The harmonics knob varies from amp to amp, but you should only see values in 2.01 and "latest". All the others will be set to 0.

That said, you can get some cool sounds while experimenting with this option. There is no right or wrong....it depends on whether or not you like what you hear.

My advice regarding that knob was in reference to an amp I was working with. The default for that amp was 0 and I upped it to 0.300. Upon doing that, it introduced a crackle that sounded like clipping when you would chug certain chords really tight. Reducing this value to 0 solved the problem in this particular amp.

I actually noticed that it removed crackling by increasing it on the JCM 800, maybe it varies from amp to amp.

I actually noticed that it removed crackling by increasing it on the JCM 800, maybe it varies from amp to amp.

Yeah, in my experience, 0.001 to 0.550 I get that crackle. The lower the number, the worse it is. OR, I just set it for 0 and there's no noise.

@Toopy14 Thanks for clarifying. 0.750 is rare. I've never had one react that high. I just tested on the AC 30 TB and didn't get the same result as you. To those of you experiencing this, I do not believe this has anything to do with the firmware. I'll report this to the higher powers as it is something I'm able to duplicate in a few amps.

What's the default value supposed to be for the AC30TB? I don't ever recall tweaking that parameter.

Last edited:
I think changing firmware version moves the setting.

I just added another AC30TB, with default settings and the Harmonics parameter default is 0.750. If you double-click on it, which I thought was supposed to reset it to the default, changes it to 0.000.

I just added another AC30TB, with default settings and the Harmonics parameter default is 0.750. If you double-click on it, which I thought was supposed to reset it to the default, changes it to 0.000.

If you reset the amp block, it defaults to 0.750. That said, I'm not hearing any crackling or static when using that setting with the drive block bypassed.

Back
Top Bottom