Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 4.01 Public Beta

What people need to understand is that if the older modeling versions are removed they are removed for all versions including the XL and XL+. It's a shared code base and it's too much work to be putting in a zillion #ifdefs to handle the Mark I/II case.

My suggestion would be to remove blocks instead, which presumably would be a lot less #ifdefs. Starting with (or a couple of) the Vocoder, Crossover, Megatap Delay, Quad Chorus & Resonator that's not available in the Ax8. Sure, a lot will bitch and moan, but that's going to be the case whatever decision is made, including not releasing any new firmwares. And for those that need these blocks, they can always stick with Q4 which would be the alternative if there's no new firmwares from here on anyway.

Count me in as one who would be fine with losing the previous FW support. I think if anything it might make things a little less confusing as I found the "latest" modeling setting, and how it differs with newly created vs existing presets etc kind of confusing. Simply have the latest firmware be the one and only version of the modeling.

I'd also be willing to lose the vocoder and ring mod, though personally kind of like the crossover for some dual amp patches I've created

My suggestion would be to remove blocks instead, which presumably would be a lot less #ifdefs. Starting with (or a couple of) the Vocoder, Crossover, Megatap Delay, Quad Chorus & Resonator that's not available in the Ax8. Sure, a lot will bitch and moan, but that's going to be the case whatever decision is made, including not releasing any new firmwares. And for those that need these blocks, they can always stick with Q4 which would be the alternative if there's no new firmwares from here on anyway.

Ummm no.

There's a Star Trek episode about that, isn't there? LOL

The most impartial way to decide which code must go, is to have the computer decide.
An algorithm will choose random parameters and their underlying code until the "shrink" goal is reached.
Could be anything really...

Oh wait, I forgot this: ;)

I am with the others (count me too haha). I think removing any old modeling versions or obsolete controls would be a great compromise to keep all of the variations of the Axe-FX II in line for further updates. I always use the latest also.

Anyone who wants to keep the old modeling can just keep their unit at Q4.01.

Let me add.... the fact that we can even have this conversation with the designer is amazing. Would NEVER happen on another product!

While we're still in the bargaining/denial stage of grief: the Mark ROM is replaceable... @FractalAudio is there a pin compatible 16Mbit in the same package? My FAS emergency boot room looks like an off the shelf SST29VF040 part 4Mbit 8x512K banks... it would be cool if I could buy a new rom and drop it in and be good to go with my Mk2 "jumbo"; I'd pay a couple hundred for such a thing.

Last edited:
It would free up space. Invariably someone would complain though.

Yeh, but some will complain if you don't remove it too. I can think of more parameters that I could easily live without. If your wanting updates for more accuracy then why would you need all these advanced parameters in the first place?

Last edited:
If the willing is there, expanding the lifetime of MK1/MK2 - and i assume it is ... I second the idea of decrease the baked in factory Cabs, if they use the same memory, which seems getting out of memory. Who use NON UR cabs these days anymore? A minority, i assume. And for those, this data can be supplied as external User Cabs, IMO. So, in fact, NOTHING would get lost. As long as this data would be supplied as .IR format, it would be only usable for Axe-Fx II devices anyway. Or the hard way: Customers do tonematches of those old HiRes Cabs and save them externaly (User Cab export). The quality decreasement from 2048 samples to 1024 samples, the tonematch provides, should be negligible (If the RAW tonematch data is not even longer, when exporting as user cab, don`t know). Even more negligible in relation, when thinking about, what the longterm investment guys of MKII Users will win, due to longer algorithm improvements in the Amp department.

Secondly i second also to get rid of choosable Amp modelling selection, although it would unnecessary limit the XL / XL+ users, BECAUSE: Amp modelling selection was and is always a concession for a small group of people, who likes the "old" FW modelling better. But in fact, it just increase time to adapt their tones to the current modelling algorithm, because the oldest modelling selection disappears anyway, when newer and newer Firmwares came out.

Especially MKII customers, who bought their unit in the time, MKII and XL were parallel newsworthy did a longterm investment in trust beeing up to date with the modelling technology also in the future, because it was always the underlying statement (at least to me), that MKI/MKII & XL/XL+ were basically the same Axe-Fx II family, although the introduction statement for the XL promise, that in the future it COULD happen, that certain improvements will be XL exclusive:

From the XL Introducing (2014): http://www.fractalaudio.com/announcing-axe-fx-ii-xl.php
  • 128 Mb of non-volatile Super-FLASH memory allows for storage of up to 512 presets and 512 user cabinets with copious reserves for future expansion.
  • Double-capacity preset size allows for expanded functionality including X/Y switching on more blocks and more instances of effects.
It was always stated, at least in my understanding, that the modelling of the MKII and XL will be the same. The two feature statements did although suggest, that the spread of feature set between MKII and XL could increase in the future. But more for more preset memory, user cab memory, new FX blocks, more block instances, more scenes, more ... blahblah, but not the heart of the unit: the quality of the amp modelling.

Personally, I´m still on the trusty MKI unit. And i am extremely satisfied with (apart the fu`ing loud 60mm fan ...), very happy and thankfully about the improvements in the last years and would be not disappointed, if my unit would be EOL in a short term view, because without a doubt: It is a awesome unit as it is now :)

Last edited:
There's no need to interpret people comments imho

I didn't point it out to be an ass, but I keep seeing people talking about giving up amp's in the MK I and MK 2. That isn't going to fix the problem Cliff already said as much. But since people don't always read an entire thread I figured I'd point it out.

If you're referring to the MK I/II (rather than the XL or XL+) specifically, then it makes no difference to me as I own an XL+.

Yes, this is (I thought obviously but apparently not) in reference to Mk1/2. The Mk1/2 is running out of space, Cliff's said this might be the last update. Some suggested removing different modelling options in the Mk1/2. Cliff said that was too much work. My suggestion was to remove the blocks that was removed in the Ax8 for the Axe Fx 2 Mk1/2 only. This would likely be a lot less work for Cliff and would keep the amp modelling updates and everything else going for the Mk1/2, i.e. the stuff that the overwhelmingly majority of users use. The XL/XL+ would keep everything plus any future updates. That would (hopefully) create minimal additional work for Cliff and extend the life of the Mk1/2 for years.

Yes, this is (I thought obviously but apparently not) in reference to Mk1/2. The Mk1/2 is running out of space, Cliff's said this might be the last update. Some suggested removing different modelling options in the Mk1/2. Cliff said that was too much work. My suggestion was to remove the blocks that was removed in the Ax8 for the Axe Fx 2 Mk1/2 only. This would likely be a lot less work for Cliff and would keep the amp modelling updates and everything else going for the Mk1/2, i.e. the stuff that the overwhelmingly majority of users use. The XL/XL+ would keep everything plus any future updates. That would (hopefully) create minimal additional work for Cliff and extend the life of the Mk1/2 for years.

I thought Cliff said that it was all shared code and what was in one was in all. I'm no coder but in order to take things out of the MK I/II units it would require different code right? I think if that's the case that might be what Cliff meant about it being too much work.

lol

This thread has blown up! Threaten our units life expectancy and everyone goes wild. Hilarious, but some cool stuff has been mentioned to remedy the situation. Whether it's implemented or not.

I thought Cliff said that it was all shared code and what was in one was in all. I'm no coder but in order to take things out of the MK I/II units it would require different code right? I think if that's the case that might be what Cliff meant about it being too much work.

He said it was too much work removing the amp modelling option for the Mk1/2 only. Presumably the different amp modelling options are in many different places within the Amp block and therefore many different places there would need to be different code for the Mk1/2 vs the XL/XL+. I would assume that simply removing a couple of blocks all together would be a lot less work and therefore an easier option, hence my suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom