Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 4.01 Public Beta

As a mark II owner I prefer to have the latest amp improvements because I strongly believe in Cliff ideas and deeply want to have em in my Axe-Fx, F.ex instead of new amps except [Mesa Boogie JP IIC] ;), I've never back to previous FW updates and always installed the latest FW even if I had a little struggle in order to get my right tone.

Edit : if you need to remove anything such as, New amps, Previous updates, what not instead of keeping the amp improvements for Original and Mark ii then my vote goes for it, if not I'll wait for the next beast (III) or your new idea, whatever it is

Thank you very much for your free and amazing FW updates :)

Last edited:
This!

@5150 I just needed to state my opinion due to one of your previous posts. NO, Fractal doesn't suck anyway, whatever direction they decide to head. I remember my Digitech times, and how seldom I got an update. I got none dude, none! :) And Line 6 times, I don't remember how many days passed between the day I bought and sold that Line 6 unit :)

@FractalAudio , I'd totally understand and respect if Axe3 was coming out, and some or all of the existing units would be obsolete. But this is not the case. The case is that we Mark I/II owners will not be able to get the updates because some people want the older modeling version together with the new one. There are two choices here. The first is that many users will not be able to get updates, or some others will not update, and this will be their choice. Which is more fair? The strongest argument against my thought would be that the ones that don't choose to get the upgrades will not get the new amp models. I choose the path of empathy here, and as a high gain guy, I'm creating my own scenario. Let's say, that the 5153 model does not exist, but it will come in Q5. And I'm using the 6505+ model. My logic would choose the upgraded and more authentic 6505+ over the 5153. I can get close enough anyway!

I respect all of you my friends, regardless of your opinions, these are mine, and I need to state them.

edit: @FractalAudio , Neither I can, nor I would, if I could, never judge you whatever path you choose while seeking simpler code. I know how important it is.

Your sarcasm detector is in serious need of a firmware update.

That's because newer firmware doesn't have the same mojo. I haven't heard a piece of code worth it's weight in dog doodoo since 2015.

You need the old stuff to get those old toanz, man.

I'm selling vintage firmware to all you heartbroken Mark I/II fans, modified with my patented Serpens Oleum process.

You want smooooth tones, like Jif-in-a-jar? Firmware 9.0 is what you need to make your fingers glide over the fretboard like Jello on granite.

Want to get your dick knocked back into your hand? Step back to standard res cabs, kitty kat, because ultra-res ain't no longer where it's at.

IM me for your custom quotation. You're just one quick PayPal transfer from vintagey goodness.

By the way, I agree you about UltraRes. Lastly, I seem to find that the ultra-low-res Redwires IR are the best :)

Your sarcasm detector is in serious need of a firmware update.

@5150 Yes, I'm still at 4.0 :)

By the way, I really cannot get along with these levels of sarcasm. I have to admit, I just took it serious :)

I'm a straight minded guy, I believe what I read, and write what I believe. Sorry about being this much machine-like :)

Last edited:
Guys, it's gonna be ok.

latest

Someone is gonna slip and fall off the toilet and we'll get a shiny new flux capacitor.

I'm still all about an amp model cherry-picker custom FW compiler thingamabob. I'd even pay for it.

64493162.jpg

It's gotta be worth at least as much as Cab-Lab

What people need to understand is that if the older modeling versions are removed they are removed for all versions including the XL and XL+. It's a shared code base and it's too much work to be putting in a zillion #ifdefs to handle the Mark I/II case.

True, I didn't know that, bummer but that is life. The box sounds fantastic till the III is released:)

For those wanting to remove amps, there is a simple process.

1. Fire up Axe-Edit.

2. Create a new blank patch.

3. Add an amp block.

4. Open the amp model pick list.

5. Apply the following liberally.

image.jpeg

I'm happy to lose the older modelling version option if it'll allow the Axe FX I/II to take advantage of further development.

Does anyone actually use it these days?

Last edited:
Yeah think some people keep getting confused or they have not read all 18 pages. Cliff said there is plenty of room for new amps. So that is not the issue at all. You don't need to give up amps that you do not use.

I wouldn't miss the previous version functionality but I understand if you need it to support artists.

Dear Cliff:

I am always pleasantly surprised when you modify your spectacular creation. It feels like someone has given me a particularly special holiday gift. Now I know very little regarding storage capacity, RAM, booting, etc. However, at age 61 I have gained knowledge regarding how companies treat their customers. Sir, you are so heads and tails above the competition and deserve special recognition. Your efforts to expand the tonal palette for guitarists is truly commendable and doing this without additional compensation is noteworthy. I distinctly recall a conversation in 1980 with a well known guitarist who told me that nothing would ever come close to the tonal choices of a tube amp (as he was appalled by the tone of a tube amp that was being demonstrated). Cliff, you have completely and utterly proven his protestations to be false. In fact, your creation has expanded the sonic horizon to the point that one has virtually no limits in their tonal choices.

From the bottom of my heart I thank you. At some point, you will likely discover that the current Axe Fx II XL will be unable to handle your creativity (as we saw the original Fractal unit evolve). This is inevitable. Genius supersedes current limitations often requiring a dramatic change in production. Hopefully, I will be there to gladly support the next phase of the Fractal Axe Fx. In closing, you are an inspiration to us all. God speed sir.

Respectfully from one of your biggest fans,
Rick Whatley

So is a boot ROM upgrade for a Mark I/II actually feasible? I assume it would have to have it's own sub-firmware though. Or would it be technically possible to upgrade a Mark I/II to XL specs to where XL firmware would be directly compatible??

Yeah think some people keep getting confused or they have not read all 18 pages. Cliff said there is plenty of room for new amps. So that is not the issue at all. You don't need to give up amps that you do not use.

There's no need to interpret people comments imho

Cliff never said this was the end of the Mark I & II updates. He said it is approaching the size limit and 4.01 may be the last update. Hopefully he can find a way to make more space in the near future. There are a lot of good suggestions posted on here for that.

What people need to understand is that if the older modeling versions are removed they are removed for all versions including the XL and XL+. It's a shared code base and it's too much work to be putting in a zillion #ifdefs to handle the Mark I/II case.
as a recently upgraded XL+ user I'm fine with losing the older FW versions. I always prefer adapting to the latest version

I'd gladly renounce to all the factory cabs slots if that can be of any help to maintain the past modeling versions so that nobody complains.
In that section the xl is already different so I think it won't be a hard work to further reduce them on the MKs, I'm not sure (but I think) that they're located inside the firmware though

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom