Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 4.01 Public Beta

As a Mark II owner, I have to say that I have never felt limited by the modeling and selection of amps/cabs available in any firmware. Even 10 firmware's ago, I was confident in my ability to create just about any authentic guitar tone I could ever imagine with my Mark II.

Anyone who is genuinely upset at the notion of this being the last firmware update is an ungrateful asshole.

It's already been mentioned by other forum members, but my only wish would be to have more bass amps to choose from. With that being said, I'm truly grateful that I get to go home and enjoy my Axe Fx II every day after work.

It was amazing the day I got it and it's only gotten better. Thanks Cliff and Co. for such an amazing product! :)

It would free up space. Invariably someone would complain though.
Cliff,
I'm more than happy with the current firmware and wouldn't care if there were no more upgrades for the AFX II. It already has more amps, FX and options than I would ever need.
Many many thanks for all you have given us up to now.

It sounds like there are these two options on the table:

No Mark I/II user can ever update past 4.01
Or:
Only people that are willing to give up being able to use older modeling versions will be able to update with the latest FW.

IOW, people that still want to use older versions would be frozen at 4.01 either way. But at least those of us (count me as one) who are willing to give up the older versions would be able to update past 4.01. Sounds like a no-brainer to me: A few Mark I/II owners dissappointed vs. all of the Mark I/II owners dissappointed.

It sounds like there are these two options on the table:

No Mark I/II user can ever update past 4.01
Or:
Only people that are willing to give up being able to use older modeling versions will be able to update with the latest FW.

IOW, people that still want to use older versions would be frozen at 4.01 either way. But at least those of us (count me as one) who are willing to give up the older versions would be able to update past 4.01. Sounds like a no-brainer to me: A few Mark I/II owners dissappointed vs. all of the Mark I/II owners dissappointed.

I no longer own a MKI, I have XLs now but another option would be they could just update the firmware with no new amps included for the MKI & MKII. That way no one looses anything, you just don't get any new amps.

Another +1 vote for dropping old FW versions, if it will keep MkI in the loop for a while longer.

I'd also be quite content w/ Q4.01 being the last update; it's not as if it lacks anything to make amazing music (I started on FW 3 and it was great back then!). The only time I'd regret not having updates is if I wanted to port any of my (future) AX8 presets to the MkI and wasn't able to.

I would be completely fine abandoning older model versions. Since about 3.02, I think, I've only used the latest modeling. Everything else sounded worse or was harder to dial in.

I also completely respect that it's about the revenue for FAS. I have said before that I would be willing to pay something for firmware updates. Since this appears to be kind of a big ask with some support risks (complaints that Billy's 2.05b model of the Samsung Mantra amp doesn't sound as good in Quantum 5.0), I don't think it is beyond the pale for FAS to ask for something to offset that. And, assuming they are continuously developing firmware for later hardware, it would help generate some revenue from a subset of their users who would otherwise have a hard time affording the hardware upgrade. Make it an annual subscription, even. Depending on the amount, I'd sign up.

Haven't checked out this FW yet...excited to check out the Legacy amp model and the other goodness added.

I vote ditch the older amp modeling, those who want it can stay with 4.01 as Cliff stated it would be the last FW and those of us who don't want it can go forward! I would also like to put it out there that if you were to remove the preamp in the cab block I would be fine with that as well.

What people need to understand is that if the older modeling versions are removed they are removed for all versions including the XL and XL+. It's a shared code base and it's too much work to be putting in a zillion #ifdefs to handle the Mark I/II case.

The Mark I's always sounded better to me anyway. Way warmer, rounder, with all the punch and presence you can only get from properly aged silicon. You kids can keep your new-fangled modeling algorithms -- nothing, I mean NOTHING, sounds like vintage code. There's no substitute for queuing up subroutines into cache for knocking the rough edges off all those tiny ones. I've played my Mark I so much, it's practically running on all zeroes now -- what better way to protect those fragile harmonics, especially in the Dumbles? Plus, those older/smaller boot roms just had so much character.

Nah, you can keep your fresh code. You'll have to pry my Mark I from my cold, dead, lifeless hands (that's where I keep all my toanz anyways -- in me fingers!)

Peace out, beeyotches. Fractal Sux.

Last edited:
I would also vote to let go the option to choose the amp modeling version as the latest version would be considered as the most advanced / authentic one - and authenticity is the primary goal of modeling IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom