Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 4.01 Public Beta

Big Bummer Bomb....:(
I will not be able to replace my Mark I.
It's fantastic as it is, but being sidelined as the journey continues for the XL/XL+ crowd will hurt.
Here's hoping for another Cliff epiphany, this time regarding the Mark I/II boot ROM.:)

Per

If its any comfort, as an XL owner, I had assumed that the lack of recent updates pointed heavily towards an impending hardware update (Axe-Fx 3 ??) at which point all development of the ALL current models would come to an end. That may be the case, and any bellyaching from Mk1 & II owners would be irrelevant. Better start saving our pennies for the next big thing.....

Big Bummer Bomb....:(
I will not be able to replace my Mark I.
It's fantastic as it is, but being sidelined as the journey continues for the XL/XL+ crowd will hurt.
Here's hoping for another Cliff epiphany, this time regarding the Mark I/II boot ROM.:)

Per

Sooner or latter this was the road for the earlier versions and will eventually be for the Xl line, it's just a matter of time.

+1 to remove older modeling versions. Those that like the sound of an older firmware can stay on the last firmware that supports different modeling versions, the rest of us can move forward.

Personally, and I don't know if this would free up space, would like an option to delete all the factory cabs and only use user cabs. The factory cabs could be separate downloads, and the users could pick and choose which ones they want to load in the user cab slots.

+1 to remove older modeling versions. Those that like the sound of an older firmware can stay on the last firmware that supports different modeling versions, the rest of us can move forward.

Personally, and I don't know if this would free up space, would like an option to delete all the factory cabs and only use user cabs. The factory cabs could be separate downloads, and the users could pick and choose which ones they want to load in the user cab slots.
Separate memory I think

Wow, that Vai amp, defo gonna be a new favourite off mine!!!

Great for some DLR era modded marshall sounding action. Such fun to play with. Am a bit gutted abut the news of the ROM limitation for my mk1. Its a day Ive been dreading cos it means the scheme to raise funds for the XL+ has began! Cant complain tho, its been one hell of a ride. Easily the best bit of equipment and company Ive had the pleasure to use the product of.

Someone will complain regardless. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I'm a Mark I owner who falls in the category of only wanting the new modeling, though. If the old firmwares are available online then the people who want the old modeling have that option still. But either way, there's going to be some extra vocal weirdos on here that will see this as a great injustice and will stop at nothing until people think their opinions matter.

Major bummer if MK1MK2 are abandoned here on in. :(
Edit: We've enjoyed years of updated FW and it has been the greatest experience with any company supporting their legacy products that long. Thanks sincerely FAS.

It is gonna be a drag reading of future FW's that I can't install but I could always sell my AxeFx II Mk1 and buy the XL+ or wait for the AxeFX III.

Last edited:
I've had my Axe-FX II (Mark 1) since 2011, back in the days of firmware 2.x. (The first 2.x, not Quantum 2.x. :) A couple months back I picked up another used Mark 1 for multiple guitar coverage and as a backup, so I'm a long-time user and a recent purchaser. (Have an AX8 too for when I don't need the big guns. :)

What other hardware company provides the level of product support and customer service that Fractal does? Go check out the competition back when the Axe-FX II came out -- how's the Digitech GSP1101 looking these days, for example? Line 6? The G-System? Roland? (I still use a VG-99 for some esoteric stuff, but that was discontinued years ago.) What guitar processor has had anywhere near the vitality & support the Axe-FX II has had during that time?

During those 5 years, Fractal released two major modeling upgrades (with G3 and later with Quantum). Other companies would have taken those generational upgrades and tied them to new hardware releases, or just not develop anything new at all. And that's not even counting the hundreds of new features, amps, cabs, tweaks, etc from incremental updates over the years supporting the Mark 1 at the same level as their latest flagship product.

Just wanted to chip in my 2 cents. I couldn't be happier with my Fractal gear regardless of the news of impending EOL for updates. These boxes kick major ass, and I'll continue to use them for a long time. I'll also be first in line for whatever they come out with next.

It's shocking to me how many people have an expectation for a company to support with updates a product that is discontinued. In no other industry do you see upgrades for discontinued products. It's just not good business to put resources and efforts into discontinued products. At some point the user must upgrade. The life span of the mark I/II had outlived most other similar products. Any of you who have owned line 6 products know this. When line 6 is done with a product, they are done.

"It's just not good business to put resources and efforts into discontinued products."

What about for the goodwill? Customer retention? Market differentiation?

Sure, it's resources that could be applied elsewhere. But if you have a series of products that share strong architectural aspects and run lots of the same code, why not put a bit of extra work into keeping past customers delighted with their purchase so they don't seek out out a competitor's solution between product releases? Seems like "good business" to me... <shrug>

Back
Top Bottom