Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.04 Firmware Release

Core loss:

The iron in the core is itself conductive, and the magnetic field in it induces currents. These currents cause the loss of energy, and this comes out as heat. The core loss represents a price you have to pay to use a transformer. Core loss is strongly related to frequency, increasing linearly as the frequency goes up.

it has to be pretty imminent, i can't imagine the man teasing us without it being pretty close to dropping.

*praying I'm right

Cliff already finished coding up to Q25.0 last year. All he has to do now is sit back and relax, releasing an update every few weeks, and keeping all us ravenous FW junkies chomping at the bit for our latest fix =)

Core losses depend highly on what frequency you're working on. In power systems, magnetizing losses (core and hysteresis losses) are almost irrelevant, and transformer losses become mainly just wiring.
However, that's only valid at low frequencies.
As frequency increases, hyteresis and focault losses become more relevant.*

Radio frequency transformers are a huge pain in the ass to deal with, since you get capacitive conduction between primary and secondary too.

I understand why Cliff puts so much effort into modeling transforrmers. Especially considering you're working with quite a broad HF bandwidth.

He should write an engineering book imo. So much to learn from him.

*Search for B-H curve. Also, Faraday's law of induction dictates that the higher the frequency, the higher the induced e.m.f in the core.

Last edited:
Core loss:

The iron in the core is itself conductive, and the magnetic field in it induces currents. These currents cause the loss of energy, and this comes out as heat. The core loss represents a price you have to pay to use a transformer. Core loss is strongly related to frequency, increasing linearly as the frequency goes up.
Does that mean our racks will run hotter? :D

I still trying to understand why a like a lower xformer match value on nearly all distortion patches (under 1.0; usually between 0.7 - 0.9) ... seems to bring out clarity/grit in the distortion. Anything over the value of one seems terrible on distortion, but it also seems to add a little chime on guitar volume roll-back for cleans. I wish I understood "why" ... but that is what I hear.

It's going to be quite a while. I have to remeasure all the amps to determine the OT core loss values. Maybe I'll put up a beta for people to play with.

Ahhh you need another Obot to help move those amps out of storage and onto the operating table heh...

Interesting that your still uncovering the 'mojo' from the OT even after doing a deep dive into their operation over the last while and finding the effects of core loss, etc. are making a difference (or enough to be worth probing them further).

Hey Cliff. Thanks. Any chance for some of the items in the wish list to make it to the table for consideration like more Scenes Controllers or the ability for the pitch detection to listen from the loop block :)

Core losses depend highly on what frequency you're working on. In power systems, magnetizing losses (core and hysteresis losses) are almost irrelevant, and transformer losses become mainly just wiring.
However, that's only valid at low frequencies.
As frequency increases, hyteresis and focault losses become more relevant.*

Radio frequency transformers are a huge pain in the ass to deal with, since you get capacitive conduction between primary and secondary too.

I understand why Cliff puts so much effort into modeling transforrmers. Especially considering you're working with quite a broad HF bandwidth.

He should write an engineering book imo. So much to learn from him.

*Search for B-H curve. Also, Faraday's law of induction dictates that the higher the frequency, the higher the induced e.m.f in the core.

All this technical talk is making my brain hurt. :) Seriously though, pretty cool when you consider that there is a reason that amp manufacturers use certain transformers. They don't just throw the same transformer into every amp. This stuff is all really cool when you think about the past and how far everything has come since the LINE 6 POD.

I'm sorry I mention the bass thing in #251, or maybe NOT.... :sunglasses:
One more thing: I love the "Sun Plate" Reverb. Please add more of that stuff too... :laughing:

Wait 'til you hear Q3.00... LOL (had another epiphany).

A genius you are. And fortunately for the planet, you're not a Dr. Frankenstein. One thing that must be emphasized about your epiphanies at Fractal, Cliff; I will emphatically say; they are all environmentally as well as phenomenally pheromonally friendly. When I get a new firmware the young lasses all seem to notice something. (It could be that I don't look at them for a week, which could add to my credibility). Thank you so much!!!

Last edited:
In my rudimentary english a core loss means a massive poo!

But googling some more I find that core loss in the output transformer means nonlinearity due to a deviation from ideal behaviour ergo another step in tone refinement...

Real transformer
Deviations from ideal
The ideal transformer model neglects the following basic linear aspects in real transformers.

Core losses, collectively called magnetizing current losses, consist of

· Hysteresis losses due to nonlinear application of the voltage applied in the transformer core, and

· Eddy current losses due to joule heating in the core that are proportional to the square of the transformer's applied voltage.

Whereas windings in the ideal model have no resistances and infinite inductances, the windings in a real transformer have finite non-zero resistances and inductances associated with:

· Joule losses due to resistance in the primary and secondary windings

· Leakage flux that escapes from the core and passes through one winding only resulting in primary and secondary reactive impedance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer

Lurk in this forum is a daily discovery, just like reading Asimov's scientific stuff.

Love this eureka moments!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom