Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.04 Firmware Release

If I know one thing to be true, its that when 3.00 comes there will surely be some that prefer 2.04, just as sure as when 3.01 comes there will be fond memories of how great 3.00 sounded and a need to "roll back"

Sometimes the single best "improvement" that can be made to the sound/enjoyment of the current FW is simply to introduce a new version of it LOL

What would be really cool and would help with the commercialization of presets, would be if the modeling algorithm being used was somehow baked into the preset. Then when a guy has a favorite amp sound based on some idiosyncrasy of an algorithm, he can experience any other update benefit but still get the same core sound.(I thought just saying guy might seem sexist, but seriously....) Even if there were limits such as, you have to use the same modeling version for amp1 and amp2 in a preset. Or enabling multi-FW causes slower preset changes due to having to reload the core algorithms.

I mean, it doesn't really affect me. I've updated regularly since I bought my unit and never had a firmware where I've felt I couldn't get a useable sounds. Even the ones where UltraRes was bugged, it still sounded great and I could dial in awesome tones, but it probably wasn't as technically 'accurate'.

Anyway, if there was a way to store multiple algorithms in the unit and load them dynamically at preset change, then your saved preset would just need some extra bytes to store the modeling version and the values of their different advanced parameters. I only know enough to be dangerous though. Maybe without it being designed in from the outset at the hardware level, it's not workable. But I've seen FAS pull off the remarkable on a regular basis.

Hey guys, does the axe fx 2 xl come shipped with latest firmware? I just ordered
Yes. I've ordered a II, a II XL, and a II XL+ over the years. Each unit came with the latest Firmware at the time it was shipped. And I would say so unless Cliff had an epiphany while it is en-route to you. ;)

Last edited:
@cliff: for the next release can you please check the bass control taper on hiwatt models? I examined the behaviour of the control on the axe with a spectrum analyzer and saw that at 2 is about halfway of the range while at 3.5 is almost at max (a few db less). I always found it too bassy compared to my real amp and maybe that's the reason: the original (and all the vintage schematics i've found) have a log pot for bass.. maybe the models have linear taper?
Another strange thing I've noticed is that the hipower normal tonestack location and tone frequency defaults respectively to PRE and 350Hz while the brilliant and jumpered versions default to MID and 700Hz (the right setting for the hiwatt I think). Is it how it's supposed to work or are these mistakes in the model? Thanks

What would be really cool and would help with the commercialization of presets, would be if the modeling algorithm being used was somehow baked into the preset. Then when a guy has a favorite amp sound based on some idiosyncrasy of an algorithm, he can experience any other update benefit but still get the same core sound.(I thought just saying guy might seem sexist, but seriously....) Even if there were limits such as, you have to use the same modeling version for amp1 and amp2 in a preset. Or enabling multi-FW causes slower preset changes due to having to reload the core algorithms.

It's occurred to me (in my ignorance) that any amp sim, once the dials are set can be described as a function. And I've wondered if it were possible to 'freeze' that function and replace the model with it. almost like a profile of the sim + settings and if that would reduce CPU usage. And would it be possible to export that function to a block as with tonematch. If any of this were possible, you could essentially keep your best-est sounds forever regardless of FW changes.

I'm sure I'm dreaming here.

3.00 is all about dirty but it comes with a basket of Wet-Naps.
Spinal-Tap-3.jpg

Plus, it's "one louder" than 2.0!

Hey guys, does the axe fx 2 xl come shipped with latest firmware? I just ordered

As others have noted, the answer is "Yes"

However FAS/aka Cliff & Company are always progressing and improving and the pace of change/improvement is very fast (in my limited experience here) and I've been through 10 or11 F/W updates in the past 6 months. Better get comfy with FractalBot and learn how to save your presets and upload new software. It's like Christmas Day when a new F/W is released.

Even my better half around here knows that on F/W day, I get 5-6 hours left alone to unwrap the gift and explore. The support of the magic black box is incredible and generates intense loyalty among the user base/community. I've never seen a company do this with the clear improvements and pace of change at zero cost the clients (us). I freakin' love this company and the people behind it.

Back
Top Bottom