Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.02 Firmware Release

Guys... FYI... Some of my favorite patches in the Axe FX literally are the amp loaded up with all the settings at defaults. The only thing I tweak is probably the gain or master volume. For instance, the Peavey 5150 style amps sound fantastic set like this. The impulse I end up using is the key to my tone. I don't tweak anything in any other menu and I have a sick tone! It's really that easy.

Some amps need more serious tweaking to get great tones like the Boogies, but this should be expected. The axe behaves very much like the real deal anymore, but I'm not talking about even touching any of the advanced parameters.

I find the Axe is so incredible now, you don't need to go much beyond the main amp controls to get an awesome tone.

I suggest choosing the right amp for what you're trying to do with it. Do a little research on how others might dial the amp in if you're having any difficulty and last but not least, use your ears!!! The advanced properties are there but you don't have to worry yourself about using them if you don't want to or more importantly, don't need to!!! No one is going to get upset if you play with them, but if you're looking for an authentic tone, too much tweaking in the advanced properties usually ends up being more problematic than helping. Seriously, spend your time picking the right impulse and tweaking the amp with the main controls. If that doesn't get you at least 95% there, you're either doing something wrong or you're just not using the right amp model for what you're trying to achieve.

Imo, for a given hardware, Axe´s software evolution can occur in either of these 3 fields:

a. new amp, cab and effect models: more to come;
b. modelling: it seems that the state of the art has been achieved with the latest firmware (real tube parameters x theroretical models) => further improvements tend to zero (unless Cliff´s approach changes drastically);
c. troubleshooting: further improvements tend to zero.

What´s next? Imo, "b" and "c" are running out fast, and only "a" will remain. Am I wrong?
Entirely new features, there are probably still some things that could be implemented in software that do not require new hardware but could expand/improve things. Example: The automated speaker resonance selection for the built-in IRs. Another: implementing IR metadata to support the addition of a user preferred resonance, etc. (So for example, I could say whenever I load this IR default any connected amp block resonance to some personal, preferred value). I'm sure there are more if you look at the WL forum.

There are still a lot of updates I'd like to see that fall under 'a' but would be major, too. I'd love to see the entire battery of built-in IRs redone in UR. Also, 'a' is really three things. I'd love to see a string of FW releases that did nothing but added more drives, FX, and amp blocks. The fuzz selection is anemic (comparatively, anyway); for example. In fact if just adding blocks was the MO from here on out, I'd be fine. :D

And as awesome as everything is "B" can always improve; it may cross the point of diminishing returns for many, though.

No it was a generalization just to convey an idea. Someone who uses one part, might not notice changes that don't effect the area he / she is familiar with. Say if someone was a mesa guy, and there was a change that effected the vox amps. Not everyone is going to hear the same results. Lots of variables.
agreed.

I think this creates some of the impression that 'outsiders' get when they say the "Fractal Fan Boys talk about every FW update like it is a huge game changer blah, blah, blah". Truth is different subsets appreciate different updates more than others but from the outside it looks like a never ending stream of rainbows and unicorns and other too good to be true tales of wonder.

This would agree with my experiences updating firmware over the years, in that updates may be much more pronounced for a group users of certain amps/tones and some groups won't really notice a thing. So many variables, amps, playing styles, and possible configurations that there is never a consensus if a new firmware sounds better, etc. Many updates I've been floored by have been dismissed by many as not 'really that big of a difference' but no worries, we all use the AFX in different ways.

For myself, there has been a steady progression of feel, tonal, and functional improvements for each version. I don't expect the upgrade to necessarily sound better with existing presets, but simply adjust them as required if needed. I usually default the amp block in my presets and start from scratch since I use Advanced Parameters and sometimes updates negate the effect of the changed settings, or the range/throw of the controls is different, etc. I always find it faster to dial in from scratch vs wrenching existing presets after an update if I need to.

This would agree with my experiences updating firmware over the years, in that updates may be much more pronounced for a group users of certain amps/tones and some groups won't really notice a thing. So many variables, amps, playing styles, and possible configurations that there is never a consensus if a new firmware sounds better, etc. Many updates I've been floored by have been dismissed by many as not 'really that big of a difference' but no worries, we all use the AFX in different ways.

For myself, there has been a steady progression of feel, tonal, and functional improvements for each version. I don't expect the upgrade to necessarily sound better with existing presets, but simply adjust them as required if needed. I usually default the amp block in my presets and start from scratch since I use Advanced Parameters and sometimes updates negate the effect of the changed settings, or the range/throw of the controls is different, etc. I always find it faster to dial in from scratch vs wrenching existing presets after an update if I need to.
I agree. Maybe each update is not a pronounced change (for me at least) but more of a steady progression towards a much better and more realistic sound and feel.

you can reach a point where you over think things. if an amp doesn't do what you want it to do you wouldn't buy it. you'd keep looking for something else. I for one have been a big plexi user (still love 'em) but since i went thru presets in the ax8 i'm using the ruby rocket more. cool amp.

Yes this is very true!
Our old sound engineer used to keep a spare fader, labelled in large letters 'VOLUME' and if someone complained it was too loud, he would adjust this fader and the reply was ALWAYS 'yeah that's much better' !!
Same here. Our roadie/sound guy did the exact same thing whenever we did our own sound. "Experts" on the dance floor would tell him to tweak this & that, he'd pretend to turn some knobs, and the response was always, "YEAH!!" with a nod of the head.

Today I had the chance to try the new firmware and new presets....well just right out of the box they sound now amazing. Just put in some nice user ir's some tiny tweaks and wow.... I left the harmonics knob an zero. It sounds best for me... punchy right in the face. Hel was that good....

AGain, is new firmware about to happen per Cliff, a hybrid of 2.01 and 2.02? Im waiting to update if this is imminent?

Don't wait dive in! I spent some time in the studio today and dialed in awesome Twin and MKIIC+ tones (haven't really liked them much in the past). Best tones to date! Thanks Cliff!!

Last edited:
Damn...

I've been traveling and away from my Fractal for 10 days and going through withdrawal. All these posts aren't helping.

Back
Top Bottom