Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.01 Public Beta

Don't update. Those two amps would definitely be affected.

Thank you Cliff, much appreciated. Will the final release affect those amps due to how the tweaks are built in, or will it be like before where I won't notice a difference unless I refresh the amp block? Thanks in advance.

Thank you Cliff, much appreciated. Will the final release affect those amps due to how the tweaks are built in, or will it be like before where I won't notice a difference unless I refresh the amp block? Thanks in advance.

Danny - I have gotten into the habit of printing a reamp track along with the axe fx full amp/fx pathway. By doing this, I can go back later and reamp without having to perform the parts all over again, and thus take advantage of "more betterer realism" advancements in the firmware, if I think the advancement warrants the process and time commitment.

hi!
i can't save power amp hardness, it always resets to the default value after changing presets, can someone confirm this behavior?
otherwise, as always - pizza to my ears!
chris

I've been bouncing back and forth between v2 & v2.1b thinking I may have liked v2 better. I found out I'm really liking 2.1b. creamy overdrive/distortion, there's a nice clarity in the beta. There were some mid low-mids that were a little smeared in v2 but are clear in the beta (didn't notice till going back). The overdrive/distortion sounds great, definitely more tubey. Still seems a little less bounce but I think that may have been the mid/lows slightly overactive in my presets?

One thing I've noticed that was mentioned earlier is that some of the parameters don't seem to change the sound when switched from Axe edit, but I can tell when changing from the front panel such as: pre-amp tube type, character type on the dynamics page? or maybe it's my imagination?

The Master volumes sure seem to have much more affect. With some of the high gain amps I felt it mushed out on higher MV settings. Not so now. I am really enjoying the play between the input drive/MV/level. It seems more better!

I've been bouncing back and forth between v2 & v2.1b thinking I may have liked v2 better. I found out I'm really liking 2.1b. creamy overdrive/distortion, there's a nice clarity in the beta. There were some mid low-mids that were a little smeared in v2 but are clear in the beta (didn't notice till going back). The overdrive/distortion sounds great, definitely more tubey. Still seems a little less bounce but I think that may have been the mid/lows slightly overactive in my presets?

One thing I've noticed that was mentioned earlier is that some of the parameters don't seem to change the sound when switched from Axe edit, but I can tell when changing from the front panel such as: pre-amp tube type, character type on the dynamics page? or maybe it's my imagination?

Good ears. One of the things we had been working on was getting the overtones to phase align. When the overtones are phase aligned there is less smearing.

The way to tell if Axe-Edit is truly doing what it should is to see if the parameter changes on the Axe-Fx at the same time.

Danny - I have gotten into the habit of printing a reamp track along with the axe fx full amp/fx pathway. By doing this, I can go back later and reamp without having to perform the parts all over again, and thus take advantage of "more betterer realism" advancements in the firmware, if I think the advancement warrants the process and time commitment.

Thanks! Yeah, I too have to start doing that. I haven't read up on how to do that with the Axe yet. I think the biggest problem I would have is printing a DI track with no distortion....or is there a way the Axe allows me to play with a sound but print a clean DI track? I've never had to do any of that other than when I purposely printed a clean DI track for someone so we could re-amp it later. Time for me to get the manual out. ;)

What method are you using to track both your wet and dry tracks?

As much as I love my AxeFx and totally appreciate the updates, I rarely comment other than a quick "thank you" to show my support and appreciation for the hard work and this awesome black box.

With that being said, i just have to put my 2 cents in here. I have no clue Cliff what you did with the latest 2.01b, but holy shiznit! This is the BEST sounding & feel I've ever had with my AxeFx. I have to admit, ver 19 was my favorite, followed by quantum 1.06 (I think).

Quantum 2 just always had a "harshness" to it that I could not explain. Like Danzi, I finally dialed in my presets to my liking. Tonight I thought "why not" and uploaded the latest beta and after setting the 5153, BOOM there it was! Fluidity! Creamyness! Something definitely "smoothed out"....and the feel of my tubed amps more so than I've ever had with the AxeFx!

So with that Cliff & Fractal team, THANK YOU so much for keeping me inspired, surprised, and beyond satisfied! I cannot wait for the final 2.01 to arrive!

Last edited:
I use the Rhythm Method.

No, but seriously, the Axe FX outputs 4 tracks of audio via USB. Out 1 and 2 are the wet stereo outputs, out 3 and 4 are reamp dry - of the input source. Since I am playing guitar with one input, I usually arm a stereo track in LOGIC using output 1/2, and a mono track using output 3 from the Axe FX. I put the two tracks into the same group and set the group characteristics to select both tracks when either one is selected for recording, and I also set them to be phase aligned. And really, all that does, is mirror the edits I do with LOGIC's take folders. So the wet tracks and the reamp track's performances match perfectly.

Thanks! Yeah, I too have to start doing that. I haven't read up on how to do that with the Axe yet. I think the biggest problem I would have is printing a DI track with no distortion....or is there a way the Axe allows me to play with a sound but print a clean DI track? I've never had to do any of that other than when I purposely printed a clean DI track for someone so we could re-amp it later. Time for me to get the manual out. ;)

If you read my previous comment you'll see how to set up a stereo track using the Axe FX outs 1 and 2 as the inputs for your stereo wet track, and then use the Axe out 3 as the input for a mono dry reamp track, when you are recording. Make sure they are grouped to arm recording simultaneously, and phase aligned/locked, the same way you would set up multiple drum mics, to allow for synchronized editing and time stretching of takes without causing phase issues.

After you've recorded and edited various takes into a cohesive performance, you will have a "good" reamp track, and a wet stereo printed track.

What I've encountered is, if I have a heavy delay on, and I make a mistake, of course, I will hear that over and over again a beat or two later. So, if I use "take editing" I might be able to get the wrong note fixed, but still hear the repeats of the wrong note from the other take.

That's really where reamping can help. Once you've crafted a very good and solid reamp track, you can send it back through the AXE and print the wet a second time, so the delays are repeating only "good" notes. Hahaha. I've heard you play, so you probably do not have to rely on modern digital editing trickery like I do, but still.

The way you send the reamp track back through the AXE is simple - you have to set the INPUT of the Axe to USB, instead of being set to the analog input when you are using it for guitar.

One word of caution - don't forget to change the Axe Input back to analog after you are done using it for Reamping.

I've have had several Oh My God moments when I've fired up my rig, and no sound comes out when I strum the guitar....only to discover that I left the input set to USB from the previous reamping use the day before.

One last thought occurred to me - the output 3 and 4 that I am referring to as dry reamp tracks, are really whatever the signal is, that's feeding the Axe FX. So if you like to run your favorite stompbox or wah pedal in front of the Axe FX, that effect/overdrive will be printed on your "reamp" track. If you want to record that way, but you still want an actual, clean guitar only reamp track, you'd need outboard splitters commercially available, to go into your soundcard.

Last edited:
Like Danzi, I finally dialed in my presets to my liking. Tonight I thought "why not" and uploaded the latest beta and after setting the 5153, BOOM there it was! Fluidity! Creamyness! Something definitely "smoothed out"....and the feel of my tubed amps more so than I've ever had with the AxeFx!

So with that Cliff & Fractal team, THANK YOU so much for keeping me inspired, surprised, and beyond satisfied! I cannot wait for the final 2.1 to arrive!

Dude, why did you have to post that? Now you got me itching to try it! Darn you!! :p

If you read my previous comment you'll see how to set up a stereo track using the Axe FX outs 1 and 2 as the inputs for your stereo wet track, and then use the Axe out 3 as the input for a mono dry reamp track, when you are recording. Make sure they are grouped to arm recording simultaneously, and phase aligned/locked, the same way you would set up multiple drum mics, to allow for synchronized editing and time stretching of takes without causing phase issues.

After you've recorded and edited various takes into a cohesive performance, you will have a "good" reamp track, and a wet stereo printed track.

What I've encountered is, if I have a heavy delay on, and I make a mistake, of course, I will hear that over and over again a beat or two later. So, if I use "take editing" I might be able to get the wrong note fixed, but still hear the repeats of the wrong note from the other take.

That's really where reamping can help. Once you've crafted a very good and solid reamp track, you can send it back through the AXE and print the wet a second time, so the delays are repeating only "good" notes. Hahaha. I've heard you play, so you probably do not have to rely on modern digital editing trickery like I do, but still.

The way you send the reamp track back through the AXE is simple - you have to set the INPUT of the Axe to USB, instead of being set to the analog input when you are using it for guitar.

One word of caution - don't forget to change the Axe Input back to analog after you are done using it for Reamping.

I've have had several Oh My God moments when I've fired up my rig, and no sound comes out when I strum the guitar....only to discover that I left the input set to USB from the previous reamping use the day before.

One last thought occurred to me - the output 3 and 4 that I am referring to as dry reamp tracks, are really whatever the signal is, that's feeding the Axe FX. So if you like to run your favorite stompbox or wah pedal in front of the Axe FX, that effect/overdrive will be printed on your "reamp" track. If you want to record that way, but you still want an actual, clean guitar only reamp track, you'd need outboard splitters commercially available, to go into your soundcard.

Thank you for those two posts kind Sir! Much appreciated! I will look into this for sure!

Back
Top Bottom