Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 1.05 Firmware Release

Except there was ....

Posted by: FractalAudio 11/30/2015 @ 9:10 pm
"If you are using 1.04 set Preamp Hardness to 9.2. That's what 1.05 will sound like and is virtually identical to 1.03 ( 1.03 is equivalent to a Preamp Hardness of 9.5 ). There were no other changes to the modeling other than the Preamp Hardness stuff. Some of the amp models were tweaked to fix minor mistakes but other than that and the bug fixes nothing else changed."

Here's what I think happened ....
vQ1.03 - Preamp Hardness = 9.5

vQ1.04 - Preamp Hardness = 6.0 ( when the firmware was originally dropped. This was an incorrect value and the next version corrected the mistake ).

vQ1.05 - Preamp Hardness = 9.2

Loaded 1.05 tonight from 1.03. I'm seeing Preamp hardness set to 9.20 in all my presets. Is this what I should be seeing? Do all amps default to a value of 9.20 now?

What I like about the mystery here is...

A) I was making virtual mixer changes that coincided with my 1.03-1.05 jump, where I wound up deciding to play at higher volumes, so my pickups are getting more sound back in them from the monitors, which has always sounded great with Axe Fx technology since the beginning.

B) The 1.05 feels & sounds immensely wonderful and buttery; more than enough for me to be suspicious of a finer-points upgrade.....except for the uncertainty introduced in my change in mixer & gain settings, and my ears do like the extra volume as well. :)

C) Having the "same basic tonality", ALMOST clearly indicates the tone-defining code is unchanged. Except if you would ask me if the improvement I hear is "basic" to the tonality I'd say no. Its subtle and feel/bloom/expression related.

Of course its very possibly placebo -and that I had spanking fresh strings.

So what I'm really loving is that the competition will get no help on this. Imagine how difficult - to reverse-engineer, or even confirm the existence of such a subtle, intangible, mysterious thing.

Pure mystery. I love it. Really glad right now I own this box and I hope Cliff is careful how he words release notes. I wan't the trend to continue.

With Quantum, especially 1.03, I was having many of the presets i had ignored begin to sound interesting. With 1.05 I am noticing that auditioning and finding sounds for a mix-context is easier, like there's more "friendliness"...and something appealing about all sounds out of the box in any mix context.

But lastly, I'm particularly loving the way 1.05 makes the most ear-pleasing feedback.

Last edited:
Beyond the bugs and other technical details, I think 1.04 cuts through the mix a little more than 1.05.
I'm not saying it's more real or better, just different IMHO.
For me, 1.04 is better than 1.03.
Having said that, all those firmwares sound absolutely awsome.

Beyond the bugs and other technical details, I think 1.04 cuts through the mix a little more than 1.05.
I'm not saying it's more real or better, just different IMHO.
For me, 1.04 is better than 1.03.
Having said that, all those firmwares sound absolutely awsome.

Set Preamp Hardness to 6.0 and 1.05 will sound exactly the same as 1.04.

Did the range of preamp hardness change? I've been going back and forth with1.03 and 1.05 and its set at 9 on 1.03 and 9.2 on 1.05. So if 1.05 sounds like 1.03 with bug fixes I would think 9 on 1.03 is the same hardness as 9.2 on 1.05? Doesn't matter, they all sound good but just curious.

To my ears, something magical happens by setting Preamp Hardness to 6.00 (Q1.05).
I have a Fender American Standard. Maybe another type of guitar requires a different setting.
It's just my personal taste. No more mystery to me. It sounds amazing!

Thanks again Cliff!

Reactions: J.C
When plugged into axe edit, it shows the firmware version as 1.05, but on the axe (I/O or global menu - can't remember right now), the firmware shows 1.04.

Is this normal?

Checked the Firmware in the utility menu, it's showing 1.05, but still 1.04 in the I/O or Global menu (sorry, not in front of the axe right now to confirm which menu).

Is this normal?

Did the range of preamp hardness change? I've been going back and forth with1.03 and 1.05 and its set at 9 on 1.03 and 9.2 on 1.05. So if 1.05 sounds like 1.03 with bug fixes I would think 9 on 1.03 is the same hardness as 9.2 on 1.05? Doesn't matter, they all sound good but just curious.

The 1.04 release notes mention improved triode saturation based on new measurements, I'm sure this applies to 1.05 also which would be the difference . The calculations were wrong for hardness setting of 6.0 , 9.2 is the correct setting . You are correct that 9.2 on 1.05 is basically the same as 9.0 on 1.03.
1.05 kills! I'm loving it! Add me to the list that has a hard time putting down my guitar!! It just makes me want to play! The rest doesn't matter ! :)

sounds crazy good ,lots of updates lately FAS is on fire.

as i have said before not sure where it goes from here but would not shock me in the least if a 2.0 version arrives before the holidays.

I have learned not to try to guess anymore and enjoy the surprise

I hope the next firmware update is released right on Christmas morning. Then all of our families will be mad at us for spending all day Christmas playing guitar and talking about it in the forum. LOL

I spent hours last night noodling and learning a new tune ... playing amps that previously did nothing for me but now, for example the AC30 is a joy to play; just beautiful. Same for euros, plexi, verbs ... all just fantastic!

That triode modeling upgrade is surely something special and crucial ... thank you FAS!

Last edited:
With Quantum, especially 1.03, I was having many of the presets i had ignored begin to sound interesting.

That was my experience as well. Before updating to 1.03 I had picked a "verge of breakup" sound I was less than thrilled with (one of the very few) and played it for about a half hour to get familiar with it in terms of overall sound and responsiveness and then I did the update and immediately went back to that same preset. I was surprised that the difference was as dramatic as it was. I'm going to upgrade to 1.05 tonight when I get home.

Oh dear, I seem to have wasted a massive chunk of my friday night playing through some of the factory presets. DAMN YOU Q1.05!!

Back
Top Bottom